Port Arthur, TX- Mtbr.com

Thread: Port Arthur, TX

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Port Arthur, TX

Hi there,

Rider from Wales, GB here who has spent the most of this year living in and riding around Phoenix, AZ.

However, a move to Port Arthur, TX is on the cards pretty soon and I was wondering if it's worth bringing the bike down or is it best left in Phoenix for return visits?

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Considering there is really no MTB riding at all in the whole area. I think you would have to hit the Houston area for any real trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hmmm...doesn't sound very promising at all

Thanks for the reply

What is worth riding around the Houston area?

"Clatto Verata Nicto"
    Feb 2006
    I hear that Louisiana has several nice trails. Some may be day-trip-able from Port Arthur.

You might want to bring the bike, check out what's close and then sell it if you decide that's the way to go.

Arkansas also is known for some good trailage, but may require a weekend trip.

Austin, San Antonio, and Waco would offer some fine riding over a weekend as well. (see www.austinbike.com for more details)

If I were you, I wouldn't put the bike on Craigslist just yet.
    Local Riding Area - Rocky Hill Bike Ranch

Nov 2007
    i live in dallas, but have ridden the bayou trail in houston .. about all i can say is that it's better than not riding at all .. austin and san antonio are close by, and have some really fun riding .. check out bikemojo.com

mtbr member
    North East Louisiana is supposed to have some decent riding. (around Alexandria there is a good cluster of trails that have gotten good press lately). Its probably a good 2.5-3.5 hour drive from Port Arthur, but better than nothing.

Seems like Lafayette also had some trails (a little closer drive)

I live in Houston and can say the trails are OK. Better than not riding still fun, but nothing epic by any means. I spent a fair amount of time in Beaumont/Port Arthur as kid (grandparents still live in Beaumont) and can say you will likely want to get out of town for some road trips and fresh scenery.

Bring the bike, and head to Houston, Louisiana, and Austin/ San Antonio.

i am, therefore, i ride
    Quote Originally Posted by unclenorm
    Hmmm...doesn't sound very promising at all

Thanks for the reply

What is worth riding around the Houston area?
    Not a whole lot there in Port Arthur. For trails in and around Houston area, check out:
    www.ghorba.org
    "Life is good..... enjoy it !!!!!"

BVK
    Feb 2005
    From Port Arthur you will have to drive 2.5 hrs to mountain bike. Double Lake, Hunsville north of Houston, Memorial at Houston, S. H. Jones park at Lake Charles. Bring road bike, you will ride on comletely flat terain but good country roads. About as good as a trainer :=)

mtbr member
    Also, they are doing a rails to trails project from Beaumont to High Island I think. I saw something on http://www.funtrails.org/ a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by bo_vk
    From Port Arthur you will have to drive 2.5 hrs to mountain bike. Double Lake, Hunsville north of Houston, Memorial at Houston, S. H. Jones park at Lake Charles. Bring road bike, you will ride on comletely flat terain but good country roads. About as good as a trainer :=)

Members who have read this thread: 0