Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Oh man, nobody?
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    many will be at the races, probably
    Pedigre

GT LTS Hoarder
    I can do Palo Duro on Saturday, Sunday or Monday! I love riding there!

I actually live in Lubbock so if you're around here this weekend, shoot me a PM. I haven't ridden Mae Simmons in over a month but it was pretty grown over with weeds and played havoc with my allergies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johntheroadie
    I can do Palo Duro on Saturday, Sunday or Monday! I love riding there!

I actually live in Lubbock so if you're around here this weekend, shoot me a PM. I haven't ridden Mae Simmons in over a month but it was pretty grown over with weeds and played havoc with my allergies.

Cool. I will PM you with contact info. I grew up in Lubbock, how long U been there?
    Nobody cares...........

GT LTS Hoarder
    I originally I grew up in the Mid-south, but I lived in Lubbock between 1999-2003 and only been back to Lubbock for the past two or three years. I'll keep an eye out in my inbox. I usually check it every day. If you want a ride to Palo Duro, we can toss our bikes in the back of my Rigdeline and save some gas money by car pooling.

I spent most of my time lurking in the GT forum and occasionally check in here. I once posted in the car and biker forum....well...I'll never do that again. lol

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Don't mean to hi jack the thread, but.......I've been wanting to ride Palo Duro and would like a brief description of the type of riding there. I live south of Fort Worth and am fortunate to have some great local trails in Cleburne state park and Dinosaur valley that offer plenty of grinding climbs, fun semi - tech. descents with rocks, roots, creek crossings etc. to keep things interesting. I also have an aunt and uncle I could visit that live in Canyon so it would be worthwhile to check out the cycling as well.

GT LTS Hoarder
    Well...it all depends on what trails you ride. The beauty about Palo Duro is that there are different types of trails out there depending on your skill level. I don't remember where my map went to, but from what I remember, the eastern trails hug the canyon wall can be a bit technical and tight. Lots of hard pack and a few spots of rock riding, small drop offs, and a narrow bridge or two. About two sections of hike-a-bike for a wuss like me. The western trails are more in the bottom of the canyon which are mostly easy hardpack to sandy areas. A piece of cake for anybody on a bike. If you love cactus and scrubby brush, then it's heaven. No roots to ride over because there's very few trees. In dry spells, most all creekbeds are dry and rocky. However, I really don't want to be caught there in the middle of a big thunderstorm, in car or bike. Bring plenty of water because in the summer, there is no shade out there. Watch out for rattlesnakes as well...there's plenty of those too. The people who maintain these trails are awesome...there's is not one bad spot in those trails that needs attention (low rainfall also helps out I bet).

The trail to the lighthouse tends to be the most trafficked one of them all...lots of bikers, hikers and runners, so watch out for them. The rest of the others are not as bad. Bring money as admission is $5 (i think) but well worth it! Attached are a few pics from one of my rides.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Palo Duro this weekend?-paloduro.jpg  

Palo Duro this weekend?-paloduro2.jpg  

Palo Duro this weekend?-paloduro4.jpg  

Palo Duro this weekend?-paloduro5.jpg  

mtbr member
    keithrad >> You can also check out the trail review, photos, etc. on our listing for Palo Duro Canyon SP
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    How does early Sunday sound to everyone?
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It would be awesome to go, but I would not enjoy the 11 hour drive there.

GT LTS Hoarder
    Anytime Sunday or Monday works for me.

mtbr member
    Sunday would be best for me as I need to be home mid/late afternoon Monday and prefer to get a nights sleep between a big ride and a 6 hour drive.

Also, I checked weather.com and it appears things are finally cooling off
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the replies. Those pics are awesome johntheroadie, my wife and I will have to ride there as soon as we can arrange ( kids, school, jobs etc.). Not sure I care much for the third pic from the top, that fella would be hard to miss if he were stretched out across the trail sunning. I would hate to run over one of those! Probably just piss him off !! And I wouldn't want to do that ;- ) I will check out your link pedigree and thanks.

meh
    would love to bring the bike as ill be up there this weekend, but alas, college football takes precedence!

Members who have read this thread: 0