Palo Duro and Surrounding Area- Mtbr.com
    Human Crayon

Palo Duro and Surrounding Area

A friend and I are driving down from CO to ride around the canyon Friday and I was just wondering if anyone had any info/tips/etc. Any trails that are best ridden in one direction or another, best places to eat, good bar recommendations, things like that. I would also ask about must hit trails, but I'm thinking we will likely cover them all over the course of a day and a half. But I am open to any and all suggestions.

I have seen a bit of video from the area and it doesn't look very tech at all, but potentially fast and flowy depending on how you ride it. If there are any off the beaten path places, I'd love to hear about those too.

Thanks!
    ..:: sleestak ::..
    [SIZE] Matters [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Palo Duro and Surrounding Area

I would just download the route of the marathon race and ride that. It repeats one of the trails twice and one easy stretch 3 times.

Basically you can omit the 2nd lap of the race and just ride the 1st and 3rd laps.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1271229558

I don't know what your definition of tech is. Its a lot like riding Sedona blue trails. If you take the A lines on GSL, there are plenty of 2 foot drops or multiple 1-2 foot steps. These are fantastic at speed, though, I almost rode off a 15' cliff thinking I was taking an A line. The markings may still be on the ground from the face. Its a fast trail, pedal hard, hold speed and rip it.

GSL reminded me a lot of slim shady in Sedona.

Comanche descent is nice and steep and fun to bomb. I didn't get to blast it because the guys in front of me were scared to death and skidded the whole way down. Comanche climb and descent is this super soft dusty dirt wedged between big boulders. It is much different terrain than the rest of the trail. The top of Comanche reminded me a lot of the terrain at Flat rock ranch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Human Crayon
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    I would just download the route of the marathon race and ride that. It repeats one of the trails twice and one easy stretch 3 times.

Basically you can omit the 2nd lap of the race and just ride the 1st and 3rd laps.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1271229558

I don't know what your definition of tech is. Its a lot like riding Sedona blue trails. If you take the A lines on GSL, there are plenty of 2 foot drops or multiple 1-2 foot steps. These are fantastic at speed, though, I almost rode off a 15' cliff thinking I was taking an A line. The markings may still be on the ground from the face. Its a fast trail, pedal hard, hold speed and rip it.

GSL reminded me a lot of slim shady in Sedona.

Comanche descent is nice and steep and fun to bomb. I didn't get to blast it because the guys in front of me were scared to death and skidded the whole way down. Comanche climb and descent is this super soft dusty dirt wedged between big boulders. It is much different terrain than the rest of the trail. The top of Comanche reminded me a lot of the terrain at Flat rock ranch.
    Thanks for the info and the link! I'll give this a looking over and plan accordingly

Ratings on trails seem to change from location to location, so it can be tough to judge based solely on a sites rating and I am just going off videos I have seen online of folks riding there. Most videos are slow going and it doesn't make things looks terribly hard, but we aren't going there expecting Moab or anything. This is more just on a whim to go ride something different and check out the canyon and hit some stops along the way. But I appreciate the highlights on where to find features like drops and such because that just adds to the fun.

I'm looking forward to ripping around there, especially at 3k feet lower in elevation...that's going to be sweet, lol.
    [SIZE] Matters [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Sorry, my riding in Colorado is extremely limited to Co Springs and Capt Jack. Which has very little tech other than 1 sketchy fast switchback and a few rough drops. I see what you are saying, all of those videos are boring. This is not gravity riding, but if you are fit, it is extremely fast and flowy. Average speed for the winners was around 15 mph for a marathon. Lots of -1% descents that you can take it up to about 20 mph pretty easily and really flow on GSL. that center trail is quite flat and beginner(the one that runs down the center. GSL alone has about 10 or so drop zones. each has a B line around them. The A lines are almost always the straight shot to the trail while the B lines are more of a distance penalty. These drops are all rollable, but are fun to party on at full speed. There are quite a few rock walls or natural features to ride up and pop off at speed as well to make the fast flats fun. I was able to make up lots of ground like this in the race because people stayed on the buff wide path as you air it out past them off a pile of slickrock. Good times.

at 6-8 mph average, this trail would be pretty painful to watch video of.

Human Crayon
    Ha, we live in CO Springs! I agree with you about Jacks. It is definitely fun, but not what I would consider "tech" either. We are both trail riders, so we are in decent shape, but I'm not racing a marathon either. But your description certainly makes it sound much more like what I was hoping /expecting. It also is looking like we are going to have some really nice weather on Friday... I'm getting stoked. Thanks for the info and anytime you end up back in CO Springs, feel free to reach out. There is a LOT of variety here, so I'll like pretty much anything I can roll on.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    [SIZE] Matters [/SIZE]

Human Crayon
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    Great info, thanks
    Just wanted to report back. Your summation was spot on and we had a great ride today. We did about 20 miles and averaged around 10mph (drinking last night didn't help). We rode GSL, Little Fox, then to the bike only trails, down part of lighthouse, back up along the creek and crossed over and rode Comanche (someone put a Christmas tree up along the trail) . Really liked the variety, how friendly people were, and the scenery was great. Overall, we had a blast.

Thanks for the info and to hell with those videos.

[SIZE] Matters [/SIZE]