Palo Duro-Go- Mtbr.com

Thread: Palo Duro-Go

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Palo Duro-Go

My 16 year old and I finally made it up to PDC last week and holy crap, if you get the chance to go, take it. We had a few set backs, my tallboy had a busted axle bolt, got the wrong bolt in, SC customer service over-nighted the bolt pack I needed to our hotel in Amarillo, got it all up and running in the hotel room and then the skies opened up with rain. Feeling pretty down about our chances, it turns out the rain completely missed the park.

Get there early in the summer, as it's been said before, it gets damn hot there. The ranger said it averages 10 degrees hotter in the rim, take a ton of water. We had 2 gallons in the cooler and filled our camelbacks up at the hotel room. Both camelbacks, 1 2L and 1 3L were emptied as we got back to the trailhead.

We started with the Capital Peak Trail, then took off on Juniper Cliffside, Juniper Riverside, then the Sunflower Trail finishing up with the Rojo Grande. There are some awesome technical descents and some pretty gnarly ascents too. As a super clyde, I was happy to say there was no hike-a-bike done. It was slow, but it was a freaking blast. Can't wait to get back out there and camp for a few days.
    '14 SC Tallboy
    '19 Specialized Fuse 6fattie

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I second the motion to "get there". It's 8hrs from my driveway to the park, and I won't hesitate to make that drive to ride that place.

I plan to get there during my first good chance in Sept. I tolerate the heat very well, but I don't want to have to. Anyone know when the daytime temps are more like they were when I was there in late April? Would Oct, be a better time for me to go?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    This makes me anxious to go there; I haven't been there since 1976 or '77. The thing is I don't know what my wife would do while I was riding. I might try to meet an old friend there. He could really leave me in the dust. He is younger than me, but a mountain biker with a lot of seniority. Really I am fairly new to the sport.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    October is nice...mid 40s at nite for camping and 70s during the day

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I need to study up on the monthly temps throughout the year. If I could convince friends to go (if their wives would "let" them go), I might show up there more often.

When I retire, that area is definitely on my radar.

mtbr member
    heading to palo-duro canyon this weekend

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I wanna go back and spend a few days up there. Would ultimately like to get a cabin and stay right there in the park but those things book up so quick.
    '14 SC Tallboy

mtbr member
    avoid knights inn unless you want roaches and urine-smelling rooms. Too gross to stay there but the ahole charged my card anyways for just looking at the room. The Best Western has a stand alone room perfect for rolling the bikes in overnight.
    (info for canyon tx.)
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I looked into the cabins, and the cabins have my friends thinking that they'd now be into going down there. They don't ride (yet) but they like to camp and hike. I've even loaned my Ti bike to one of them, so I may have someone to ride with while I'm there.

I need to look into availability of the cabins, but I stayed at Holiday Inn Express in Amarillo when I was there. It was about 25-30 min drive to the trailhead which wasn't a big deal, even if I was wanting to stay closer. Good to know what place to avoid though.

Though I don't consider myself old, nor do I look/act my age, I'm not that far from retirement, and I've got that place on my radar for a place to move to.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Amarillo too I think, was decent and has a good breakfast, and not too far away from the park. Plus you get the benefit of staying in town, food and stuff, the important things in life.
    '14 SC Tallboy

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    We are planning an outing in Mid March there. Looking forward to it!

mtbr member
    I love PDC. The club there in the Amarillo area puts on great events in the park, WELL worth going to.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Some buddies from work are planning a trip this spring. Is there a best time to go? I read that the summer is brutal with the heat and wind. Also what's the best way to stay there. Camper, cabin or hotel? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    There is a super cool cabin there if you can get it. I'm not sure what it's called; saw the photo in Texas Highways Magazine. I think it may be a little rustic but seems like a cool experience if you can reserve it.

I am anxious to go there to ride. I am 63 now, and last time I was there I was a kinda bad boy in my 20s.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I will be there Mon, Tues, Wed next week. I'm psyched. Longish trip, but well worth it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    It's possible that it will be pretty wet. I haven't been following the weather there; it is very wet here. I am going to Santa Fe, NM, in May, so that's where my little big biking outing will be.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Anyone have the lowdown on the trail conditions? I can't imagine that it would be wet. I can't imagine that it can stay wet for very long.

Guess a call to one of the local bike shops might be in order.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    We finally hit Palo Duro this past weekend. Conditions near perfect, trails are dry. If you go do yourself a favor and hit the Rock Garden Trail - one of the best downhill runs in Texas we have encountered. Juniper Cliffside CP and GLS are also trails to be sure to hit - all fun and different from each other.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I was there and rode Tues, Wed, and Thursday.

Rode Juniper (both sides), Sunflower, Rojo Grande, Capitol Peak, Paseo del Rio, GSL, Little Fox, Lighthouse, and Comanche. Comanche isn't marked as far as I could tell, but I rode across the street to the north from the GSL parking lot. I'd suggest staying off trails that allow equestrian traffic. I don't think the self-imposed trail guidlines for horse riders are quite the same as those of cyclists, so those trails get a little rough.

I don't know my distance, but I rode a pretty decent number of trails every day, so I'd guess it was ~30mi. It was all in great shape, and while there aren't any HUGE climbs, the flowy nature of the whole thing overall makes me jonze to get back there. Next time I plan to ride others that I didn't ride this time. Where is Rock Garden? I didn't see it on any maps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Rock Garden is intersected by Comanche Trail. If you were there then you would have seen the road closure down by Paseo del Rio - if you kept going and loop around past the fork in the road and past the back side cabins then Rock Garden and Comanche trail are marked on that side. While I agree with you on the other trails, RG is a huff and puff heart pumper. There are a few youtube videos on it and the trail is marked on the PDC website trail map. Like you, I cannot wait to get back, but the 9 hour drive, oh that crappy 9 hour drive.......

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Anyone have some insight in current rail conditions? Planning to head the for Memorial Day weekend. First timer.

CXK
    mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I was hoping to go this weekend but their hosting the 24 Hours in the Canyon bike race. I'm not anywhere close to ready to compete and I'd rather not compete for space on trails. Not to mention the campsites are all gone. But the weather looks great there this weekend, with no moon you should be able to see some stars at night.

Anyone here go to that race?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Did it last year with a team. We did way more partying and drinking than actual riding though. If you can find a group to go with to offset costs, plus have a group to hang with it makes it more fun if you're not a competitive racer type. It's a nicely run event. If you've ridden out there before and can handle the terrain it's definitely a blast, plus riding the trails at night is a completely different animal.
    '14 SC Tallboy