• 11-07-2006
    theHIP
    Palo Duro Canyon questions????
    looking to do a mtb weekend with a bunch of friends and we are considering PDC. we will be coming from the Oklahoma City area around Dec. 1st. anyone have trail experience there? it sounds awesome from the reviews! we were wondering wether this would be a good location in Dec. or alternatively from you Texas guys, another "epic" type location, without driving too far?

i'm also looking for some local perspective on weather and camping/ cabins/ things to do in Amarillo? or somewhere close by? restaraunts?

any thoughts?
  • 11-07-2006
    Oregon
    Palo Duro is a great place to ride, but it's also at a higher (for Texas) elevation of between 2500 and 3000 feet, and it can get cold in the winters. Even snow at times. So watch the forecast. The Breaks at Bar H in Saint Jo right on the TX/OK border is a fun ride also, but it doesn't have the facilities Palo Duro does.

Get the map from the rangers station. The center trails (between the roads) are more beginner friendly, while the Gibbons Spicer and Captiol Peaks trail is a little more techincal. Everything's certainly doable and a lot of fun.
  • 11-13-2006
    speedyd
    local
    PDC can be 65 degrees or 10 in Dec.There will be no crowds so plenty of camping but cold at night.It might be more comfortable to stay at a hotel in Canyon or amarillo and just drive the 20 minutes to the trailhead.There are other trails in the area to check out,Girl scout trails 2 miles west of Amarillo or more technical trails at Lake Mckenzie about 60 miles south of Amarillo.If you come let me know and I would be happy to give you a guided ride.Its my backyard. Harold
  • 11-18-2006
    bcd
    i ride at the canadian river @ dumas bridge.the bridge is on the right, chicken creek comes in where the river turns north. its a moto area but has a large tough
    out and back to chicken creek., some sand, but i like it more than the PDcanyon.
    its a EPIC ride.

PD also has a super steep tech "DH" trail going off the very back of the XC loop.
    its a hike to the rim but fun down. there are lots of guys there sundays around 12.

I have some dirt jumps in town if you are into that.
    http://bcdracing.com/pics/9th/9th.html

as for eats:
    best burger, blue sky I-40 and weastern
    best REAL mexican, El tajevan I-40 and paramount.
    best pizza, Basil Docs, I40 and georga.
  • 11-19-2006
    bcd
    i am doing a EPIC ride along the canadian river next weekend, one of these days 24,25,26
    want to come over after thanksgiving?
  • 12-11-2006
    theHIP
    thanks...
    we got snowed out!!!!!

it was crazy we had like 12" here in tulsa and we didn't do any riding. i was going to ride down to the local bar, a cool place with a bicycle theme, but they weren't open. anyway, we will make a return trip but it will probably be spring.
  • 12-11-2006
    bcd
    yeah, we got about 4'' 2' drifts.

man thanksgiving was BEAUUUUUUtiful 70 deg.

http://oldtascosacycling.com/modules...iewtopic&t=732
  • 01-02-2007
    makachut
    HappyNewYear
    There is too much snow in northern new mex. for biking.Considering the 4 plus hour drive over to Palo Duro . What I need to know are the conditions of the trails and any amount of snow on the ground.
  • 01-02-2007
    bcd
    no snow right now just a little mud from ice melt.

call outdoor element @ (806) 353-2900 talk to trip

he goes down there a lot and would know if its muddy.

alex
  • 01-02-2007
    makachut
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bcd
    no snow right now just a little mud from ice melt.

call outdoor element @ (806) 353-2900 talk to trip

he goes down there a lot and would know if its muddy.

alex

Mahalo
  • 02-08-2007
    bcd
    snow gone and its going to be warm this weekend, come on over
  • 02-09-2007
    mountaingoat111
    Wish i could go again.. maybe march.. i will contact ya next time.. it seems the last two times i been there its been freezing.. :madman: have a good ride ..