Palo Duro Canyon Oct 12-14- Mtbr.com
    mtbr Buckeye...in Austin

Palo Duro Canyon Oct 12-14

A small group of us (6-7) will be making the trip up the PDC. We've never been and have only heard good things.

We're camping onsite.

Any suggestions on trails?

What should we expect? Avoid?

Any group rides or anything local happening that weekend?

Thanks in advance!
    Erik
    Last edited by eokerholm; 09-23-2007 at 10:53 PM.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Hey Erik-Pete here. Heave you thought about ringing up Doc Nolan? I thought he was practicing up there in the Amarillo area. If anyone knows he probably would.

Call Damon at Bluff Creek Ranch--he should know how to get a hold of him.

Barring that ask here: http://www.wtcycling.com/wforum/

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    Hey Erik-Pete here. Heave you thought about ringing up Doc Nolan? I thought he was practicing up there in the Amarillo area. If anyone knows he probably would.

Barring that ask here: http://www.wtcycling.com/wforum/
    Thanks Pete!

We're just looking to see what to expect and to see if anyone else will be riding and able to guide.

We're thinking of leaving Thursday after work, but supposedly can't get into the park after 8pm or so.

Anywhere close to stay, so we can get in a full day of riding on Friday?

Anything worth riding on the way home on Sunday (between Amarillo and Austin, preferably west of Dallas.) Cameron Park is great in Waco, but we can make that trip any time.

Looking to try something different along the way, if we're Palo Duro'd out by Sunday.
    If it's super great we just might ride it 3 days in a row!!

Thanks for the heads up!

Others please chime in, none of us has ever been up there.

cheers,
    Erik

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr

[/URL]

Also try TMBRA. Probably the easiest way to get in touch with Doc Nolan. And perhaps some others may have some ideas
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    You can get into the park until 10 pm. Most of the trails are on the state park map. If you go to www.oldtascosacycling.com there is currently a map with the race course being used for TMBRA race this weekend on the discussion forum. The expert loop uses most of the available trail except for some of the Capital Peak trail. The primary trailhead is after water crossing no. 2. My favorite trail is the GSL running trail off of the Lighthouse trail, and alot of first-timers miss it since it is marked as a running trail. There are supposedly some downhill trails somewhere, but I have not ever seen them and don't know where they are.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Quote Originally Posted by bigandhuge
    You can get into the park until 10 pm. Most of the trails are on the state park map. If you go to www.oldtascosacycling.com there is currently a map with the race course being used for TMBRA race this weekend on the discussion forum. The expert loop uses most of the available trail except for some of the Capital Peak trail. The primary trailhead is after water crossing no. 2. My favorite trail is the GSL running trail off of the Lighthouse trail, and alot of first-timers miss it since it is marked as a running trail. There are supposedly some downhill trails somewhere, but I have not ever seen them and don't know where they are.
    yep, won't make it there by then. Takes 8 hrs or so from Austin.

Thanks for the information and link. I didn't see the map you mentioned on the site, or I missed it.

Looks like the Climb the Canyon and PDC Xtreme will be that weekend.
    So I guess we won't be lonely out there.

link to map would be great! We'll be sure to try to find GSL.

So how many miles of trail is there available??

i am, therefore, i ride
    As mentioned, TMBRA is having a race there this weekend so the trails should be in great shape by the time you get there in a couple of weeks. Here's a map of the trail:
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...p4506_007g.pdf
    "Life is good..... enjoy it !!!!!"

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Quote Originally Posted by nico2me
    As mentioned, TMBRA is having a race there this weekend so the trails should be in great shape by the time you get there in a couple of weeks. Here's a map of the trail:
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...p4506_007g.pdf
    sweet.
    we've got that map. I didn't know if there was a more detailed trail map there.

There is also some Roadie Tour or something on Sat and a Climb out of the Canyon on Sunday, I think....

so we won't be lonely

Harrumph
    Not to thread-jack(well ok, a total thread-jack), but are there any signs that this race will be canceled? I'd like to know before the "scenic" drive through Texhoma this time.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You could try MLK in Lubbock on the way home. Pretty nice for an in-town trail. Probably 10 miles of trail (or more) and tons of locals out on Sundays. It's different than both Palo Duro and Austin-area stuff.

Or try San Angelo state park. (Crummy) Trail maps are available at the gate. The north side trails come highly recommended.

Driving directions to both are on the Trail reviews section on the home page. Enjoy PDC and the rest of your trip!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by G-reg
    Not to thread-jack(well ok, a total thread-jack), but are there any signs that this race will be canceled? I'd like to know before the "scenic" drive through Texhoma this time.
    The forecast looks good this weekend. Highs in the low 80s, lows in the 50s. There is a 30% chance of rain on sat, 10% on sunday. TMBRA won't cancel the race unless there is lightening. We're driving ~9 hours from east Texas...leaving tonight!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Depending whether it is open or not, try to go to Bar H Ranch. I know we are having a camp out there from 10/26- 10/28, and Tia is trying to get the trails fixed from the last rain that hit. The message on the conditions page stated something about a unforseen Copperhead bite, so I am not sure what the situation is there or when they will officially be back open for riding.

Great place to spend a day or two riding around on the 10-15 trails they have out there.

It's in St. Jo near Gainesville, TX.
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!

Harrumph
    Damn, no campsites left. I guess I'll be waking up early on Sunday.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Try this link for the course map showing the A and the B loops:

http://www.oldtascosacycling.com/mod...ewtopic&t=1241

Members who have read this thread: 0