Palo Duro Canyon - advice for beginner?- Mtbr.com
    Vicarious Adventurer

Palo Duro Canyon - advice for beginner?

Hey, y'all!

I'm a beginner with less than a year of real riding under my belt starting last fall. My brother and I are considering going on a campus-organized "outdoor adventure" trip to Palo Duro Canyon for a weekend in October ... wondering if anyone had advice for this noob, as well as tips on the area, things to not to miss, places to avoid, best way to approach the trails for beginners, things to watch out for (rattlesnakes, cactus, scorpions, rattlesnakes), great photo ops, etc. ... anything that might help keep me in the saddle.

I've read some reviews and it sounds fairly smooth -- is it more technical than the touristy marketing might suggest? I'll be riding with more experienced MTBers and want to be able to keep up. How would you rate the difficulty of the trails?

Any advice and thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    call the guys at outdoor element sports in amarillo

trip and nugget will set you down the right trail.
    "who's pushing the pedals on the season cycle?" -xtc

Jun 2008
    I am thinking about going on the trip in September that Outdoor Pursuits is putting on through campus. Hopefully it isnt full yet but i was wondering the same thing. I will go ahead and recommend slime tubes.

mtbr member
    this is from a trip i took there last year.

http://flickr.com/photos/onefelipe/s...7601111568893/

you might search for other images or even motionbased.com for ride elevation profiles.
    "who's pushing the pedals on the season cycle?" -xtc

Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by phatphil
    call the guys at outdoor element sports in amarillo

trip and nugget will set you down the right trail.

trip and nugget are definitely good guys ... little known secret, nugget likes to be called tina

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    All the trails I rode there were pretty easy. I don't know the names, but we were camped at the horseman's camp and I rode the trails all the way to light house peak I think it's called. Some of the climbs were a little tough, but not bad if you carried some momentum. They said the ones on the other side are easier. I was riding a rigid single speed, so they can't be too bad.

May 2006
    I was riding in Palo Duro Canyon a few days ago and I ran over the fattest rattlesnake that I have ever seen. My legs are still shaking!

It seemed like most of the trails were open to mountain bikes, although there is one trail in particularl that is designated for mountain biking. The parts that I rode had no extended climbs or downhills but was mostly rolling. But, yeah, watch out for snakes!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm at tech and just got started doing some trail riding. I'm from CO and mostly raced downhill but hit the trails a few times. I wanted to ride Palo Duro but I haven't met anyone up here yet. I'd be glad to go with anyone (im not a sick cross country racing work out freak, just looking to ride the trail and have fun). I want to ride either on the weekend or tues/thurs because I don't have class.

If you're at tech call or text me 832-526-6070 and we'll find a time to meet up and ride. I dont check mtbr often enough so a PM aint gonna do it.

Viva Las Peli Taco
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by creativetype
    Hey, y'all!

Any advice and thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Don't forget your bike.

Hope this helps.

- Dave

Members who have read this thread: 0