Palo duro bummp- Mtbr.com

Thread: Palo duro bummp

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Palo duro bummp

Hey ya'll recently moved to texas and I am looking to get some solid group rides going. Grew up racing downhill and 4x as an amateur back home in Pennsylvania and am having a difficult time finding many riders motivated to get out and ride on weekends here in texas.

I typically get up to Palo Duro on the weekends and ride here in lubbock just about on the daily. I've got some trips to NM in the works (as well as some surrounding states); would just like to get a good group of pinners together prior.

Its a huge state so if your in the area post up and lets get a ride going. I mainly thrash all-mountain and pin all the single track around here. Would love to get back to more technical downhill terrain if any locals know some hot spots.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    33 views and no hits? Someone has got to be riding PDC. Another rider from lubbock and I are traveling to the canyon tonight and staying at fortress cliff for a long early morning ride tomorrow till about lunch. Bump if you'll be in the canyon

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm also in Lubbock and I ride Mae Simmons quite often. I have been planning on heading out to PDC for a while now, but haven't had a chance to make it out. I would be interested in riding if we can get a group together.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MatchstickMaker View Post
    I'm also in Lubbock and I ride Mae Simmons quite often. I have been planning on heading out to PDC for a while now, but haven't had a chance to make it out. I would be interested in riding if we can get a group together.
    were leaving for the canyon today sometime after 5; probably more like around 7ish pm. I dont have any other room on my car for another bike or you could certainly join. not sure if you wanted to come along or not; if not you could always meet us tomorrow morning.

This is my 5th or so trip to the canyon since moving here roughly 4 weeks ago; I know the basic canyon trails very well and am familiar with maps and navigation. PDC is certainly worth the trip as I continue to rush back there on weekends (the mlk trails are only so much fun during the week!)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    will be planning another trip to palo duro canyon to ride the downhill terrain. recently on my last trip was able to locate the dh trails. planning for the weekend of 16th.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    BUMP; anyone up for exploring some of the downhill terrain at PDC and hooking some of the good single track lines this weekend?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    It's gonna be awhile, but I'm planning on passing through sometime in early September on my way to northern New Mexico.

Any recommendations on what trails to ride, given only a couple of hours?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ZachTX View Post
    It's gonna be awhile, but I'm planning on passing through sometime in early September on my way to northern New Mexico.

Any recommendations on what trails to ride, given only a couple of hours?
    Grab a park map and for sure check out GSL, CP loops and; JC. Lighthouse trail is the most popular but i tend to stay off it as there is heavy foot and horse traffic and often slower riders and its not as technical as others (depends what type of riding your into). Trails on the riverside are nice for cooling down or looping back to the main parking areas.

mtbr member
    I usually get out on Saturdays, as that is my only day off. I live in Friona, which is about an hour away from PDC. I would be happy to meet up with you sometime for a ride. PM me next time you plan to be there on a Saturday morning.

Nathan
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pynis McDermott View Post
    I usually get out on Saturdays, as that is my only day off. I live in Friona, which is about an hour away from PDC. I would be happy to meet up with you sometime for a ride. PM me next time you plan to be there on a Saturday morning.

Nathan
    Can definitely PM you about any upcoming rides. As of now some buds from Dumas are planning on camping in FC this coming weekend; I'm scheduled for saturday therapy sessions this weekend and wont be up to PDC till Saturday evening for a ride then and then riding all day sunday. Certainly continue to check this thread for upcoming rides as well as I'm finally beginning to assemble a good a-team of riders

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Bump, anyone for the canyon this weekend?!?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Last call for canyon; pulling out of LBK around 5 today to meet the group at fortress cliff. Riding tonight/tomorrow AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    BUMP; this weekend canyon ride! Fairly sure everyones leaving the big dh/fr rigs at home and doing a lot more of the allmountain style trails. Camping in FC and there will be a group of us riding all weekend.

Benandshan2

... and if we just ... We ride ever sat.

I have a group of guys ages 15-52 that rides PDC every Saturday! I don't think we could hang with you though. We're a mixed group no drop ride. Usually takes us about an hour and forty five minutes to ride 8.4 miles.

Look for our facebook page, Charge the HIll. I'd link to it but I can't yet.

Pain on the Plains is coming up in September you should come out and race in it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Benandshan2 View Post
    I have a group of guys ages 15-52 that rides PDC every Saturday! I don't think we could hang with you though. We're a mixed group no drop ride. Usually takes us about an hour and forty five minutes to ride 8.4 miles.

Look for our facebook page, Charge the HIll. I'd link to it but I can't yet.

Pain on the Plains is coming up in September you should come out and race in it!
    Sounds cool; were gonna be camping tonight and riding tomorrow if you wanna give me a holler. Or if you wanna PM me your number I can try to give you a call.

Where do ya'll usually meet? I drive a yellow car with PA plates on it.

Benandshan2
    We're going to park at Juniper day use area and hope to be down there by 8:30am. The lines pretty long to enter the park sometimes so we may he latter than that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Right on; we usually park our truck over at capital peak. I'll be riding my xc bike tomorrow; a blue cannondale. If you bump into us be sure to holler.

Benandshan2
    Well I saw a guy on a blue Cannondale but I asked if he was you and he lookedat me like I was crazy!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well I saw a guy on a blue Cannondale but I asked if he was you and he lookedat me like I was crazy!
    Ah sorry I missed you guys; We passed a rather large group at the lil uphill turning right on capital peak towards the lighthouse. Thought it might have been you guys since the group was so big, but I keep hummin along. I'm not sure we will be back at the canyon this weekend or not. Believe we are just riding the trails here in LBK.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Rode Palo Duro today. Was our first trail ride in years...the wife and I decided recently to get into biking. Long drive from Lubbock, but the trails were a blast. After 3 flats on the ride between us on standard tubes, now I am researching what to do about the thorns and cacti. Time to pick up some helmets too...the wife ate it into a boulder a mile or two into the GSL trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 1blink View Post
    Rode Palo Duro today. Was our first trail ride in years...the wife and I decided recently to get into biking. Long drive from Lubbock, but the trails were a blast. After 3 flats on the ride between us on standard tubes, now I am researching what to do about the thorns and cacti. Time to pick up some helmets too...the wife ate it into a boulder a mile or two into the GSL trail.
    Helmets are a must! As far as concerns with flats go at the canyon; stay off the cacti and on trail and you should be fine. I havent flatted there since I began riding there. Some people I've ridden with choose to slime their tubes. Its a good rule of thumb to just bring along some spares and a pump.

Enjoy the canyon its a beautiful place to ride; and certainly worth the 2 or so hour drive from LBK. You can take an earlier exit via the interstate in order to get there a bit sooner.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    It looks like we might be moving to the Amarillo/Borger area from Southeastern PA. How are the trails methodman? Anyone else??

Benandshan2
    Norope we have the best trails in Texas!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by norope View Post
    It looks like we might be moving to the Amarillo/Borger area from Southeastern PA. How are the trails methodman? Anyone else??
    The trails here are certainly some of the best! You wont be disappointed. Certainly not as technical and scenic as some of the hot spots back home in PA; but its still great fun to ride here. A change of scenery is always good too!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    giant camping trip and ride this weekend in the canyon. bump for more info

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by methodman View Post
    giant camping trip and ride this weekend in the canyon. bump for more info
    Going out there this weekend. Bike is currently setup SS but was wondering if I should bring the geared hub instead. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

ss

ss is fine.I am local and ride/race 32-17 on a rigid 29er.I can clear most everything unless i hit a bad line or is real loose. trails really rock for ss.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyd View Post
    ss is fine.I am local and ride/race 32-17 on a rigid 29er.I can clear most everything unless i hit a bad line or is real loose. trails really rock for ss.
    Perfect. 32:17 rigid 29er is my current setup as well.
    Thanks.

Desert Seeker
    Methodman, any more trail beta on the downhill trails at Palo Duro? Are they on the map? I may plan to stop for a half day of riding there in late January on my way out west from Vermont. Thanks for any insights...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by glesoine View Post
    Methodman, any more trail beta on the downhill trails at Palo Duro? Are they on the map? I may plan to stop for a half day of riding there in late January on my way out west from Vermont. Thanks for any insights...
    can point you in the right direction. pm

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey man you still riding in Lubbock we need some dh guys to ride with

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Still holding here in Lubbock; pm me for more information.

Benandshan2
    You can make a stop in at Outdoor Elements and those guys will tell you how to find the DH trails Palo Duro Canyon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Sent message

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You can make a stop in at Outdoor Elements and those guys will tell you how to find the DH trails Palo Duro Canyon.
    Trails need to be serviced.