Palo Duro- Mtbr.com

Thread: Palo Duro

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Palo Duro

I will be at Palo Duro May 9th for the first time. Anyone want to ride that morning? I am intermediate at best and back on a MTB after a few years. If not any advice? Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Avoid the Knights Inn at all costs!!!!! Go early it gets hot. Have fun.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    and the biting flies..

mtbr member
    Wow, I stopped at Palo Duro about 13 years back in the Winter. Pretty fun riding. As I was driving there I was beginning to loose hope that there was decent riding as it looked pretty flat. Then I saw the canyon!
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Well looks like I will try again next weekend. It has rained in Amarillo and may rain tomorrow so no trip. Meanwhile here in OKC we are hammered with rain and no sign of riding off road in the near future.....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yeah pretty much the same here in North Texas. Got out and rode last Tuesday, had been a while before then even. I'ts coming down pretty good now!

On the bright side our parched lakes, creeks and streams are being replenished with much needed agua! Guess I'll get the kayaks out!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I talked to a local when I was on the trail there, complaining that I hadn't come down in March because the weather map was showing that it was raining, and he said that the area we were in drains/dries quickly because it's not really the valley floor. Next time I'm feeling like I might never get to ride a dry trail (like now) I will seriously consider returning to Palo Duro. Love that place, and if I lived in OKC I'd be there at least once a month. I'd consider it if I lived in Dallas or Wichita. I'm 2 hrs from Wichita, so it's 8 from my house to the GSL trailhead.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Oh wow that is a ways! Thanks for letting me know that it dries out fast. That was my other concern is how fast it dries. We are going to try again this weekend. It looks like Amarillo did get hammered with rain Saturday. I live in OKC and it will be a week and probably longer before most of the metro trails can be ridden IF it stops raining.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    and the biting flies..
    DUDE! I forgot about those bastids. Yea that was crazy. Tons at the trailhead then chasers on the singletrack. WTF?
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    For the insects you need insect repellent!

I remember some guys who messed up the fence at our place and had to come back later and fix it. They were sure crying saying the gnats were about to carry them away!

mtbr member
    There is a group of trail builders working on the trails at Lake Meredith. I think they have about five miles on now. They received a pretty nice grant to build some trails so keep an eye out.
    It's about 40 miles north east of Amarillo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by velo99 View Post
    There is a group of trail builders working on the trails at Lake Meredith. I think they have about five miles on now. They received a pretty nice grant to build some trails so keep an eye out.
    It's about 40 miles north east of Amarillo.
    Any more info available about the Lake Meredith trails. Is there a contact person or group? I have some time I may be willing to put in to help.