Palo Duro- Mtbr.com

Thread: Palo Duro

Mountain Bike Arkansas

Palo Duro

Me and the wife are planning a trip to Palo Duro around late September, early October. Can anyonone give me some information on the trails there and the camping as well.

Much appreciated.
    Never Give Up

mtbr member
    Can't help a whole lot on the camping side of things, but as far as the trails and what's available as far as camping just click Palo Duro Canyon State Park.

You'll love it there!
    Pedigre

Mountain Bike Arkansas
    Thanks Pedigre, I had already gotten info from your site, first place I went.
    Never Give Up

mtbr member
    Cool
    Pedigre

No Knuckle Crew
    I have ridden a lot of places in Texas and CO, and my home trails are still my favorite.

GSL is the most technical of the trails and is pretty chalenging going in either direction (no trails are directional).

Lighthouse is very wide (big hiking trail) with a few decent climbs and lots of hits on the sides. GSL and Lighthouse meet at Little Fox loop which is a sweeping and relatively flat loop (one of my personal favorites just for Chill riding).

The lowers consist of Rojo Grande, Sunflower, Juniper (going out from the Lighthouse Parking Lot & they are all really one trail) and Juniper/Cliffside coming back in. RG, Sunflower, Juniper is a nice trail with a few tight climbs & turns with great views and a few places with nice reward bombs for your effort. Cliffside is a workhorse trail with some long climbs, medium sized rocks, and a few roots.

One of the newer areas is the Capitol Peak area which has a bit of everything. There are a few cool ridges to ride and this area is my favorite for rewarding quick burst climbs with longer sweet decents. There is also a downhill course out here if you can get a local to show you.

If you are in really good shape, I recomend trying the "Big Loop" as locals call it. Start at the lighthouse trailhead and take the Lighthouse out, do the Little Fox loop, take GSL up, and work back down Paseo Del Rio (just a transition trail) to the Lighthouse trail head. From there do the lowers (Rojo Grande, Sunflower, Juniper) and come up Cliffside to Capitol Peak. Work all the way through Capitol Peak and back to the Lighthouse and you have done the "Big Loop" and will need a cold beverage after about 20 miles of fun.

The nice thing about PDC is that it all comes back to that Lighthouse Parking Lot so you can bail at any time really.

As for camping, I prefer the mesquite campground because it is a bit out of the way and has RV hookups if you have those resources. However, any of the camp areas are fine and some folks prefer the Fortress Cliff camp area due to its proximity to the Lighthouse Trail Head.

If you want a crazy experience, the 24 hours in the canyon even is June 5-6 where 500 riders will be out there and they let us on the trails in the dark with lights (stinking awesome). I wish you luck and hope that you have a great ride.
    I like Texas, ain't it fine here!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You'll have lots O' fun at Palo Duro. There is plenty of flat land and then..wham!..a canyon in North Texas. Critters everywhere and worth the drive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Best riding in texas in my opinion. We camped at the hackberry area, great location, close to trails.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...p4506_007g.pdf
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

Members who have read this thread: 0