Palo Duro?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Palo Duro?

mtbr member
    May 2005

Palo Duro?

I am about to take off with some buddies for Palo Duro for a few days of riding - hopefully make it there by this sunday afternoon for a late day ride, and then do an early morning and a late afternoon ride on monday, followed by a tuesday morning ride before leaving for Moab.

What trails do you guys recommend? We are all from Colorado and all ride 6" freeride bikes - and like fast, technical, ledgy/rocky trails w/ jumps and drops, but also like to throw in some classic cross country rides with long climbs and descents.

Are there any good bike shops/riders that work at nearby bike shops we could get in touch with?

mtbr member
    This will give you some insight, though there are other areas a bit more technical (i.e. drops and such) that aren't exactly on the beaten path.
    Pedigre

TNC
    noMAD man
    Like the OP, I ride 6+ inch trail bikes, and I think your group might be somewhat disappointed with PD. Don't get me wrong...it's a decently fun place, but it's more flowy XC stuff that approaches nothing like Moab IMO. There is a small sliver of more aggressive stuff "off the beaten path" as Pedigre mentions, but it's very little. If PD is on your route to Moab, it's probably worth a full day's ride, and PD is a neat place to camp. If you're making a diversion to PD, I'd suggest going on to Moab to get an extra day or two of riding. I just got back from my annual 2-week Moab trip, and I'd say you'll have way more fun riding there...and the camping is great too. I'm not bashing PD, but there's no way I'd give up one day of riding in Moab for two days in PD. They are totally different animals.

No Knuckle Crew
    Man, the Amarillo Biking Community is all involved with the 24 hours in the Canyon event for Cancer research. It starts Saturday at noon and goes until Sunday at noon. You will likely have the trails to yourself if you get out Sunday afternoon.

We have two traditional bike shops here

Outdoor Element - Ask for Tripp or Nuggett
    Hills - A little more old skool

and we have one shop that focuses on townies, but the owner is a tremendous wrench and low cost.

Bike Life - Ask for Alex

I know each shop will have folks down at the 24 hours just in chatting with folks and I really don't know if they will have anyone manning the shops or not.

As to the trails.

GSL is the most technical. Little Fox Loop is fun for some fast sweeping turns. Lighthouse is kind of the flagship - really wide with a few decent climbs, Cliffside is a good cardio workout with quick climbs and runs, I love the lower trails (Juniper, ect.) that connect because you can really fly.

There are two newer secrets actually. There is a gnarly downhill course if you can get a local at the Lighthouse trailhead to show it to you (hard to give directions) and there are some newer trails out by capitol peak that will wear you out with drops and switchbacks.

If I was you, I would start at the GSL trailhead, fly through the little fox loop and take Lighthouse out to the Lighthouse parking lot. From there, see if you can find someone to take you up to the downhill section and if not go run the capitol peak stuff and then go back up lighthouse to GSL and back out. Note - none of the trails are directional.

To be honest, outside of the downhill - everything out here really ranges from moderate cross country to moderate all-mountain. 4 inches of travel will get you through anything out here. That said, it is some of the best cross country that you will ever get into. It is about as different from Colorado riding as you can get, but you won't be disappointed.

Be sure to bring quite a bit of water on your ride. It is hot and dry right now.

If it were not for the 24 Hours in the Canyon this weekend, I woud tell you that you would have no trouble finding someone to take you around, but I suspect most folks will be bonked out by the time you get here on Sunday. Also, the race stuff is going to be on the Lower Trails and Cliffside, so I would suspect those trails will be pretty thrashed by the time you get in.

Hope this helps.
    I like Texas, ain't it fine here!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    wow, 2 weeks, that is awesome! Can you list off the rides you did in moab that we should hit? We should be there about 7 days or so. I want to hold off on porcupine/kokopelli down and amasa back until my friends from aspen meet us there. But in the meantime, what rides do you recommend to do in moab?

My all time favorite ride is the kokopelli down/porcupine rim ride. Other than that i've only ever ridden amasa back, flat pass, slickrock practice loop, and another ride i can't even remember cause we went the wrong way and got horribly lost.

Sounds like you are into similar riding so i'd definitely appreciate some good advice on rides!

TNC
    noMAD man
    BB, Koko down is my favorite Moab ride too. We do it at least 3 times during every trip. How does one get tired of 20 miles of some of the best riding in the world on that trail. Really...you should do it at least twice in a week. Then you can do it with your other riding buddies when they arrive, and you'll have all the good lines nailed...LOL! After that I agree on Amasa Back...a total hoot on the way back. On Slickrock, it's been getting to the point that I can take it or leave it. It has places that are a blast, but it goes up just as aggressively. Crazed XC climbing fiends love it, but most do a good bit of walking on bigger hit bikes. You didn't mention Sovereign trail. Even on a Nomad or other 6+ bikes, this trail is a technical blast. It's flatter with fun little climbs and short blazing descents. It's just plain fun. They're also doing a longer Porc called Hazard County down, but Koko has been enough for me so far, as Hazard requires some dirt road travel. We do our own shuttles on our trips. If you do a shuttle service anyway, I'd go with Hazard down.

In a week, I'd hit Porc Rim twice, Amasa once, Sovereign once, Flat Pass once, and Klondike with the Baby steps section added to the traditional Klondike as the way back to the trailhead. Bartlett Wash would be a good play day if you need a rest or a shorter riding challenge. Bartlett has all kind of features to play with and a good place to get some pics of each other without breaking the riding flow...don't miss Dolly Parton/Doom and the Toilet Bowl if you go there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    lighthouse trails pretty good.. junipers pretty good 2.

Members who have read this thread: 0