Palo Duro

Printable View

• 08-06-2008
    mrknocke
    Palo Duro
    A friend and I are headed out to Colorado from Austin were thinking of stopping by for some riding at Palo Duro. I've seen the YouTube videos, and heard of the epic riding out there, but don't know the specific trails to ride. We're looking for some well known technical areas that we can spend 1-2 hours on before heading north to the insane trails/downhill of CO. We've been able to tame the beast that is Emma Long Park Trail here in Austin, and want to find something fairly comparable/challenging. What do you all suggest we ride when we get there? Thanks! :thumbsup:
  • 08-06-2008
    djolly7180
    You've probably already made your journey to CO but I hope you stopped at Palo Duro. I just rode there about a month ago and it is a bad ass ride the trails are pretty easy to find there is usually a big crowd out there. When I was there there was a big Cannondale tent set up and they were letting you test all the new stuff. My cousin lives out there and he showed me a spot were all the locals have some sick DH trails, they are kind of hidden because the authorities just don't condone such behavior.
  • 08-06-2008
    djolly7180
    i just realized that you just posted that so in that case i would make the stop. Once your out there you would think its just flat but once you get there its awesome, they say its wider than the grand but not as deep
  • 08-07-2008
    mrknocke
    We aren't leaving Austin for another week and a half, so we're doing some reconnaissance before to hopefully find the best trails to ride for the short time we're out there. Do you know, or can you find out where exactly these epic DH trails are? I've seen some videos of some pretty boring stuff out there, as well as the ridiculous drops and terrain...thats the stuff we're looking for!

I was told the Red Star and Lighthouse trails are worth checking out. I guess they loop around? Any thoughts?
  • 08-07-2008
    CharacterZero
    Hey bud, do a search over at the Austin Voodoo forum for information on Palo Duro. I know that a large crew went up there last year and had a great time. Just don't get hooked there, because they really don't talk about bikes. :thumbsup:
  • 08-07-2008
    djolly7180
    I took the light house trail but all loops sort of come back towards the parking lot and you can head back so you do a few different loops in like 2 hours. I'll talk to my cousin to get some trail directions for the DH area.

were do you ride in austin? I grew up in Georgetown when i visit the folks i go and hit up walnut creek
  • 08-15-2008
    austin_bike
    If you are going to georgetown, then you should be riding lake georgetown, not walnut creek. Better riding, closer to home.

Check out my site for info.