Pace Bend Trail Markings- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2015

Pace Bend Trail Markings

I rode pace bend last weekend and had a difficult time following the "designated" loop. I started at the east trailhead (main trailhead) and started the loop clockwise, or attempted to at least. I ended up lost and somehow came out to the north trailhead area. I made my way back towards the east trailhead area, and somehow got myself on the loop with the yellow dots, which is the actual mark that you are supposed to follow. So I guess I feel like the start of the loop from the east trailhead could be marked better.

The other area that gave me issues was the northwest area through the north area. These areas were not clear to me either.

In my opinion they could be marked better or more yellow dots are required. It's a great trail and I have a concern that people trying this trail out for the first time could get a bad impression if they are getting lost, which for me ruins the flow and enjoyment of an otherwise great trail.

Maybe I'm alone on this, but I'm just curious of how the trail is marked, or who takes care of this sort of thing. Hell, I'm willing to help, but as I said above, I really don't know where it's supposed to go in some areas either. Can someone please help me out here, or let me know who I should talk to?

Thanks, Michael.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I haven't rode Pace Bend in over a year and I doubt its changed too much but we're usually just out there camping and cruising, taking random turns and going where the trail takes us. I'm game to go out and spend the day helping to mark them better if this turns into anything.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by atx_s4 View Post
    I rode pace bend last weekend and had a difficult time following the "designated" loop. I started at the east trailhead (main trailhead) and started the loop clockwise, or attempted to at least. I ended up lost and somehow came out to the north trailhead area. I made my way back towards the east trailhead area, and somehow got myself on the loop with the yellow dots, which is the actual mark that you are supposed to follow. So I guess I feel like the start of the loop from the east trailhead could be marked better.

The other area that gave me issues was the northwest area through the north area. These areas were not clear to me either.

In my opinion they could be marked better or more yellow dots are required. It's a great trail and I have a concern that people trying this trail out for the first time could get a bad impression if they are getting lost, which for me ruins the flow and enjoyment of an otherwise great trail.

Maybe I'm alone on this, but I'm just curious of how the trail is marked, or who takes care of this sort of thing. Hell, I'm willing to help, but as I said above, I really don't know where it's supposed to go in some areas either. Can someone please help me out here, or let me know who I should talk to?

Thanks, Michael.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was in town from Houston at City Park one day and planning to go ride at Pace Bend the next day. I was talking to a local and he warned me that if I did not go to Pace Bend with someone that knew the trails I would probably get lost. I knew maps were/are available at the entrance so I didn't think a lot of it and just thought maybe it was him. But he was definitely right. I did get lost and had a hard time finding some of the trail sections I wanted to ride. I finally had to bail out and drive and park at a different trailhead before I could finally find a particular section I really wanted to ride. Then, after riding for a while more I could not find the way out to any of the trailheads when I was ready to leave. I finally recognized a particular trail that I had already ridden that I knew went near the road, so I had to follow it and then when it passed near the road again I bailed out. I really liked the trail though, and went back at a later time and my friend and I ended up getting lost again even though we were constantly referring to the map and comparing it with the trail markers we came to (just like I also was the first time). The biggest difficulty to me seemed to be if you start on the northern side it's hard to find your way to the southern side, and vice versa. I just went a third time recently and had much better success finding my way around referring to 2 different trails maps that they now offer at the entrance. Yes, the markers and map needs to be improved, but I really like those trails.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    +1, rode it for the first time last weekend. Great trails, non-trivial navigation. Ran into another rider who recommended the map at Austin Ridge Riders but the one I found isn't all that comprehensive either. Lots of little turn offs and features. Really cool stuff, but one of those places that you just have to get familiar with I guess.

If you want to get involved, Ridge Riders is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'd like a combination map with both the names and the numbered intersections. Plus not all the major intersections have numbers on them so it's guesswork on where you are and trial and error to get where you planned on going. I have a route I usually go on, but have to refer between two maps and my route on the phone to even be able to figure out what to tell my buddy my route and that one cool section I like. It gets kind of annoying.

I can usually find my way from the east parking lot to wookie way, but once you get to the end of that section, it's a crapshoot if you aren't intimately familiar with the south, central and west side of the trails. The north side is where it is marked better, but the south, central and west side needs major work with trail marking and numbers/names on the posts that are there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I didn't have that much trouble with it last weekend using the map from the park.