One day to ride in Austin- Mtbr.com
    Who is John Galt?

One day to ride in Austin

I'm coming to Austin for business, plan to come in a day early and do some riding. What would be the one can't miss it trail I should hit while I'm there? I can rent a car so a little drive is OK but don't want to waste too much time on the road. Also what is the best shop to rent? Can't bring the Yeti ;-(
    What, me hurry?

Riding dirt since 1970
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac
    I'm coming to Austin for business, plan to come in a day early and do some riding. What would be the one can't miss it trail I should hit while I'm there? I can rent a car so a little drive is OK but don't want to waste too much time on the road. Also what is the best shop to rent? Can't bring the Yeti ;-(
    Walnut Creek is sweet singletrack. City park if you want technicle. See the trail reviews for directions
    Med. V10.5 for sale

amar la vida de dos niner
    If you want to divulge the day/time you can ride, you might just find someone to be your tour guide!

Bicycle Sport Shop (the main one) rents very fine DS bikes. I think I'd go with the Maverick or BMC. They have a website (or you can call them) where you can reserve one.

Our trails have such individual characters, it's kind of hard to name a favorite. Try looking at the descriptions/photos on austinbike dot com, to get an idea of what there is.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I second Bicycle Sport Shop....recently rented Blur LT from them. You can ride to green belt from their store, but that may be to easy for your liking...I have been told that there are side trails,but best to have a guide.....check bikemojo.com(?) for additional info on austin stuff. I have not been yet but Emma Long may be a good choice if you want some drops so I understand. Maybe Charles from HH can tell you where the best places to ride are.

Who is John Galt?
    Meant to post the date but didn't have my calendar with me last night. I'll be there Wed., Dec. 13. Plan to come in on Dec. 12 to get the bike and be set to ride in the a.m. As far as trails go, I like fast, twisty singletrack. Don't mind the technical sections but would hate to get busted up while I'm out of town (I do that a lot, have 8 stitches in my knee right now!). If anyone's available that day and wants to ride drop me a line. I'm slow and stop a lot...

I found Bicycle Sport Shop, seemed like the place to me. Wish I could bring the Yeti 575 along but looks like to much trouble. Can I order some nice weather for then?
    What, me hurry?

May 2005

Rocky Hill Ranch

It is a little over a half hour drive from Austin, but you might want to consider Rocky Hill Ranch. Details at www.boomersrockyhill.com or read the reviews here on MTBR (Texas Other Cities and Texas Austin listings)

RHR has lots (20+ miles) of sweet flowing singletrack with enough challenges to keep you happy without risking life and limb. This is a mountain-bike-specific trail system considered by many to be one of the top three riding areas in the state. If the gate is closed, you will see a drive-around, then go on up to the Blue building, sign in, drop $8 in the mail slot and have a blast! Print a trail map from the website.

Otherwise, Walnut Creek, West of North Lamar just South of Parmer Lane, would be a good choice for fun, flowing singletrack right in town. Though you will have hikers, dogs, etc. to contend with it is a fun ride.

Barton Creek Green Belt is another good choice, and mid week it may have fewer pedestirans to contend with than on the weekend.

Have fun!

Who is John Galt?
    Thanks for the advice, now you guys have me wanting to add another day. I'll check out these trails. I ran on one of these last time I was in town, it went right behind my hotel. Does Lance ever get offroad?
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yes, a extra day/night in austin is never a bad thing! Rocky Hill is a great thought too if you are up for drive. Makes me think I need a trip this weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    OK, here is the lowdown:

Yes, BSS is the best place to rent a bike.

WC is really twisty, but not much of a challenge.

The Barton Creek Greenbelt is where you want to ride. There are 20+ miles of sweet singletrack, and lots of interesting challenges. I can ride most of it, so it can't be that hard.

While rocky hill is great, it is almost an hour away - a long way to drive with a rental bike when instead you could practically drive to the trailhead of BCGB from BSS.

If you want to find someone to ride with, post up here:

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/forumdisplay.php?f=14

For info on all the trails, check out http://www.austinbike.com

As a person who tries to sneak in a ride on business, I understand the risk/reward of technical trails and not wanting to mess up your face. The Greenbelt is safe from that aspect. I, myself, am sitting in the airport lounge in Beijing waiting to get on a plane to Seoul. I will ride in Seoul tomorrow and have customer meetings on Monday.

Normally I would take a vacation day and show you around in order to pay off some of the karma from my trips, but unfortunately I will be in Pennsylvania that day.

Enjoy.

Who is John Galt?
    So many trails, so little time. Still, I might be able to squeeze in a ride on the 12th. Are these trails open to night riding? You'll have to post up a picture of the trails in Seoul, do you have your bike along? And I bet China has some sweet rides.
    Thanks to all for the advice.
    What, me hurry?

Well, I missed a whole conversation!

Yes, all the trails mentioned are open for night riding. I agree that Rocky Hill is probably a good choice for you, but don't know if you want to do all that driving on top of your other travelling. Also, if you don't have someone to ride with, I'm not sure I'd recommend it just because of the large number of people who get turned around on all those loops back in the woods.

[Someone mentioned thinking about going out there this weekend. I had thought about it, too, but I'm opting for Muleshoe on mid-morning Saturday. PM me if you'd like to join us.]

I also cannot recommend Barton Creek Greenbelt if--as it seems--you are not that experienced with rocks. I've had folks from Houston come up to ride with me--fast folks, mind you--who were simply confounded at what to do with all the rocks. (I think us Austin folks get to where we don't notice them so much.)

Walnut Creek is probably your best local choice, especially since--again, I'm going from things you've said--you aren't all that fit. But you *definitely* need a guide on that spiderweb of trails. That said, I'll volunteer. You can PM me to set that up, if you're interested.

Oh, and yes, Lance rides on dirt. He usually jumps in on one or two local races each year, either from our MB race series, or a biathlon series called "The Dirty Du."

mtbr member
    See below for Austin area trail info. Photos, descriptions, trail maps, directions, etc.

http://www.austinbike.com/index.html

Enjoy.

Ian

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Don't miss the jewel in the crown of Austin trails, the Barton Creek Greenbelt b/c of some rocks. You should have no problem sinding someone with which to ride there. We can probbaly scrounge up a no-drop group roide followed by some fine food at Trudy's or Rudy's or Chuy's....some place local and great.

I think you'll find WC confusing and unchallenging, even with a guide. Yeah, I know you stated that you're accustomed to dirt, but don't forgo the best of Austin b/c of some rock.

D

Who is John Galt?
    Oh, Barton Creek doesn't scare me, I ride the Ozarks, man. We call those rocks "soil samples!" And I've done my share of epic rides including the 24-mile Berryman trail. Was just thinking the combination of a trail I don't know and I bike I've never ridden might be a recipe for face plants... Maybe I can do a trail smorgasboard and then find some BBQ, last time I was down we hit a place that used to be a blacksmith shop. I'll post up closer to Dec. 12 and see who's around, might buy a round or two for some guidance. That's all assuming it doesn't rain, reading the rental policy, it says they don't rent if it's rainy which is a good policy for the trail's sake. You guys are great hosts, hope our fat tire paths cross.
    What, me hurry?

Got Mojo?
    Oh, Barton Creek doesn't scare me, I ride the Ozarks, man. We call those rocks "soil samples!" And I've done my share of epic rides including the 24-mile Berryman trail. Was just thinking the combination of a trail I don't know and I bike I've never ridden might be a recipe for face plants... Maybe I can do a trail smorgasboard and then find some BBQ, last time I was down we hit a place that used to be a blacksmith shop. I'll post up closer to Dec. 12 and see who's around, might buy a round or two for some guidance. That's all assuming it doesn't rain, reading the rental policy, it says they don't rent if it's rainy which is a good policy for the trail's sake. You guys are great hosts, hope our fat tire paths cross.

If there is rain, the city will close Barton Creek. And in the wet the best place to ride is Emma Long/City Park.... It is mostly rock.

Mmmm slickery rocks....

My suggestion would be to post up as you get closer, with some luck you will get a guided tour of the Greenbelt, and BBQ at Rudy's.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    OK, Clair gets her greenbelt pass revoked. WC over BCGB? Never. I think the phrase "houston folks" speaks for itself.

Yes, it can be rocky, but it is infinitely more fun and you are less likely to run into hikers/dogs, especially if you start at the 360 entrance.

Seoul? Yeah, awesome trails, the entire place is surrounded with mountains and there are hundreds of miles of trails. Legal trails. Absolutely amazing:

http://www.austinbike.com/mtb/surisan
    http://www.austinbike.com/mtb/bundang

Haven't ridden China yet, but give it time.

Oh, and if you are riding on the Greenbelt on a weekday, make sure you use the real park parking lot and not the office building.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    OK, Clair gets her greenbelt pass revoked. WC over BCGB? Never.

I'm with John.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Interesting approach, naming one trail as better/superior than another. They each have such great characters and their own things to offer.

I was simply matching his stated preferences with one of our local trails. Please do not infer that I thusly claimed one to be my favorite. It is not an accurate assumption.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Rudy's IS good BBQ and close to the 360 entrance, but don't rule out the Green Mesquite on Barton Springs Rd. for a local Austin restaurant and not a Texas chain.

D

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Clair, come out on the day after thansgiving and we'll give you your pass back

Clair, come out on the day after thansgiving and we'll give you your pass back
    I had to ride that God-awful trail for 4 hours this afternoon.

har har

I wish I could join you guys, but I've got my kids for the holidays. It should be another gorgeous day!

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpionwoman
    I had to ride that God-awful trail for 4 hours this afternoon.
    There is nothing wrong with Walnut.

But with all the other trail selection in Austin, it would be low on my list to suggest to someone from out-of-town with one day to ride. Unless of course it is SS.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Umm, I was being funny, and the "God-awful" trail I spent all afternoon on was BCGB.

No, there's nothing wrong with Walnut Creek, nor with *any* of our trails.

Again, the man had more stipulations as to the type of riding he wanted to do than that it would be for one day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Trails are like children, everyone is different, and everyone has their own unique qualities. And some are stupid

I ride walnut all the time, but only with lights, daytime riding there is not as much fun and there are too many pedestrians that really don't understand that right of way is a 2-way street. Kinda like the greenbelt for the first mile past zilker.

It's also very quiet at WC during the middle of the day.

But I don't mind trail traffic. I usually end up chatting with folks if I have to stop. It's great to see people getting out on the trails.

Who is John Galt?
    BikeMojo, are you a Yeti Rider? Seems like I saw your posts on the Tribe site. Still trying to figure out how to get the yeti down to Austin for the trip.
    What, me hurry?

Got Mojo?
    BikeMojo, are you a Yeti Rider? Seems like I saw your posts on the Tribe site. Still trying to figure out how to get the yeti down to Austin for the trip.
    Nope, not yet anyway. Still looking. I'd like to pick up a Yeti for a Colorado trip.

Your 575 would be at home on many of the trails in Austin.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

GoCyco
    Nov 2005
    I will ride in Seoul tomorrow and have customer meetings on Monday.

Normally I would take a vacation day and show you around in order to pay off some of the karma from my trips, but unfortunately I will be in Pennsylvania that day.
    I find myself in Seoul quite a bit but have never ridden there. Where do go and do you bring a bike with you or rent? I also travel to Suzhou a few times/yr. Do you ride in China too?

I'm NE PA (where the trails are incredible!) If you are looking for ride in PA (Jim Thorpe or Mountain Top area), drop me a line.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have ridden at Surisan and Bundang, both are south of Seoul, down Highway 1. There is a great group of guys that I ride with while I am there:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/MTBk/

Haven't had a chance to ride in China yet. All of my customers are in Beijing or Shenzhen. As for PA, my only customer there is in Harrisburg, but I generally don't stick around long enough to ride. When I travel overseas I have one or two weekends in-country where I can try to find a ride. This month is Munich, but it is probably a bit too cold to be riding.

GoCyco
    Nov 2005

Seoul, PA, Munich

I have ridden at Surisan and Bundang, both are south of Seoul, down Highway 1.
    Thanks!

As for PA, my only customer there is in Harrisburg, but I generally don't stick around long enough to ride. When I travel overseas I have one or two weekends in-country where I can try to find a ride. This month is Munich, but it is probably a bit too cold to be riding.
    There is some good riding around Harrisburg. Check out Micheaux State Forest and Lykens - http://www.bikerag.com/images/MAPS/p...ens_review.htm

I rode south of Munich in Austria. Lots of mountains. I may be in Munich later this month, but was hoping to ski. However, the weather has been very mild this yr. May have to ride instead.

Members who have read this thread: 0