One day free in Texas Either San Antonio or Houston- Mtbr.com
    Just hit it with speed

One day free in Texas Either San Antonio or Houston

I'll be traveling to Texas all next week and I will have one day free, Sunday the 13th of January. I'm working near Houston (Beaumont) but I'll be visiting a friend in San Antonio that weekend. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of a good place to ride that one day that also would have a local bike shop I could rent from. I'd have to rent of course so the shop would have to be open Sunday.

I'm up for driving a reasonable distance and I typically ride a rigid SS 29er on the East Coast. Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance!!
    Don't hate on the minivan!!!!!!!

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by GFisher2001
    I'll be traveling to Texas all next week and I will have one day free, Sunday the 13th of January. I'm working near Houston (Beaumont) but I'll be visiting a friend in San Antonio that weekend. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of a good place to ride that one day that also would have a local bike shop I could rent from. I'd have to rent of course so the shop would have to be open Sunday.

I'm up for driving a reasonable distance and I typically ride a rigid SS 29er on the East Coast. Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance!!
    Drop me a pm if you are interested in getting a ride in in SA.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    SA beats houston hands down.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    SA beats houston hands down.
    John,
    A greenbelt tour is indicated.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Sep 2007
    I live in Houston and we are currently really trail deprived. We are under construction for creating trail on cypresswood that will be like the green belt. However it is a long way from Beaumont. I would go for the SA area. Later on If you have time and can make it back to Houston to the north NW side. The trails are really comming along.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMojo
    John,
    A greenbelt tour is indicated.
    So it is indicated, so it shall be.

Sunday. Call the time, because we are dealing with folks outside of our area, I will make it convenient to them.

Pedaler of dirt
    In Houston you've got memorial park, about 5,6 miles twisting single track and the anthills about 9 miles of rooty single track. memorial's best suited to a rigid ss as anthills is going to shake you up unless you're really light on those pedals. Both trails suck if it rains. May google be you guide to more info on them.

Texan
    theanthills.com

bui
    Ain't afraid of no ghosts
    Drive the 3 hours to Waco for Cameron Park....and make sure to stop in Austin for some rides along the way.

You ran this race with no real heart
    Yeah right back at the start
    You'd already lost it

Jumper
    San Antonio is the place to ride. I was gonna say that you cant go wrong riding government canyon, but there is no way that I would take a rigid there. Govt Canyon is definately FS country.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by jumper780
    there is no way that I would take a rigid there. Govt Canyon is definately FS country.
    But some do ride rigid there, I have seen it. And *gasp* I have heard tell that some even ride out there with no gears.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Jumper
    NO GEARS! I would pay to see that. Especially on the Balcones Heights trail. To give the OP an idea of the Balcones Heights trail, my rear shock actually heated up so much, everytime my inner thigh would rub it, it was almost too hot to touch. I remember having a HOB wipeout going downhill into a dried up limestone river bed and the person I was riding with went through his camelback and was left cramping at the end of the ride.
    Still my favorite trail though. People I ran into didn't like it because it was so ruff. Doh, thats why I am not a roadie and ride a FS bike. The rougher and more technical the better for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Before I'd drive to Waco or Austin I would drive 45 min to Flat Rock Ranch in Comfort.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    NO GEARS! I would pay to see that.

Please send your check to https://www.austinbike.com

Just hit it with speed
    Ha I love it

Got Mojo?
    Please send your check to https://www.austinbike.com

aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Jumper
    Uh thats not the Balcones Heights trail. I guarantee that.

The looks of that trail, a road bike could do it.

bui
    Ain't afraid of no ghosts
    From what I've gathered, Alan and John are trustworthy guys (at least on other forums )

Yeah, I lurk...

You ran this race with no real heart
    Yeah right back at the start
    You'd already lost it

Got Mojo?
    Uh thats not the Balcones Heights trail. I guarantee that.

The looks of that trail, a road bike could do it.

Jumper,
    That is "The Xylophone" on Twin Oaks trail.

John, if memory serves, that day we rode all the way out Sendero Balcones, to Carolines, up Twin Oaks, then down Far Reaches. Makes for a nice figure eight loop, with double the climbing. And my typical loop out there.

But then again, what would I know about Govt Cheese.

BTW, I liked it better when it was SAR.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    But some do ride rigid there, I have seen it. And *gasp* I have heard tell that some even ride out there with no gears.
    Now that's just crazy talk, next you're gonna tell me people ride out there rigid, SS, & Fixed.... Phhttt yeah right, crazy talk I tell ya

Jumper
    A friend of mine that has riden the Balcones heights trail saw this thread and really would like to see a rigid single speed complete the heights trail. He proposed that anyone that could complete this trail with that setup and without walking the trail, he would buy them dinner at Hooters and all the beer they want. I'll try to get him on here to propose it himself.

mtbr member
    Uh oh...there better be a free cab ride in that offer. You & your friend should know when to admit there's better riders on the trail no matter who you are or where you ride.

Edit: tell your friend to get his wallet ready...bikemojo don't drink no pisswater beer

mtbr member
    A friend of mine that has riden the Balcones heights trail saw this thread and really would like to see a rigid single speed complete the heights trail. He proposed that anyone that could complete this trail with that setup and without walking the trail, he would buy them dinner at Hooters and all the beer they want. I'll try to get him on here to propose it himself.
    Jumper,

Your friend might not want to take that bet, there are plenty of rigid SS's (even some fixed) that ride those trails regularly. But if he does want to take the bet, why not make it someplace for good TexMex & Beer, plenty of Hungry Mojo's after GC ride.

FB

Jumper
    Hey, its all good and fun for us. I am not saying its impossible because I have seen some really good riders. I have actually been in a few XC edurance races so I am not a noob but also not an expert. I also travel many areas of Tx in my spare time looking for technical trails. There are many parts of Govt Canyon that can be ridden with a rigid single speed but the trail he proposed was the Joe Johnston then linking up with the Sendero Balcones trail. We just don't think that's a route that can be done with a rigid single without walking some of the hills.
    As far as the beer and dinner goes, he doesn't mind. Its all in good fun. Hell, if someone can do that on a rigid single speed he/she deserves a few beers.
    We are looking at heading down there in Feb after the race in Terlingua. Will post ahead of time.

Got Mojo?
    Hey, its all good and fun for us. I am not saying its impossible because I have seen some really good riders. I have actually been in a few XC edurance races so I am not a noob but also not an expert. I also travel many areas of Tx in my spare time looking for technical trails. There are many parts of Govt Canyon that can be ridden with a rigid single speed but the trail he proposed was the Joe Johnston then linking up with the Sendero Balcones trail. We just don't think that's a route that can be done with a rigid single without walking some of the hills.
    As far as the beer and dinner goes, he doesn't mind. Its all in good fun. Hell, if someone can do that on a rigid single speed he/she deserves a few beers.

Like you, I am not a noob but not also an expert.... But I think that Fat Bob, SSlos or myself could open your eyes to a different type of riding. As a friend puts it...'dialate your mind'.

You sound like a novice racer type. Don't take it as an insult, your profile states you started riding in 2007. Just understand that there is a huge difference b/w riding and racing. I have enjoyed both, and for a period of time I would have been considered a 'racer boi'. And also understand that someone can be a bada$$ on the race course, and simply get schooled by the local rider.

And as far as a rigid SS/fixed bike riding hairy trail... it is all mind over matter, remember 'dilate your mind'.

We are looking at heading down there in Feb after the race in Terlingua. Will post ahead of time.
    On Tres Cuevas, be sure to stay out of the way of Ben Thornton, he's not going to slow down for you.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

i am, therefore, i ride
    ......... And also understand that someone can be a bada$$ on the race course, and simply get schooled by the local rider.

And as far as a rigid SS/fixed bike riding hairy trail... it is all mind over matter, remember 'dilate your mind'.....

Amen to that brother. Always remember, it doesn't matter how good of a rider you are, there is always someone who can and will school you on any given trail.
    "Life is good..... enjoy it !!!!!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    School is officially in session. Fully rigid. I'm not saying where it is, but it's no road ride:

I have ~50GB of local texas pics, if it can be ridden, we've probably been there.

Got Mojo?

same trail(s), different day

Quote Originally Posted by nico2me
    Amen to that brother. Always remember, it doesn't matter how good of a rider you are, there is always someone who can and will school you on any given trail.
    nico,

I don't remember when I learned this lesson. But I do know that it took much weight off my shoulders. I didn't have to always try to be the bad a$$, b/c there would always be someone better..... now I can sit back and enjoy the ride. It is much better now.

On a similar but side note, one of, if not the best, riders I know, likes to sit back and ride with the group. But when the group steps it up, he is there, with more in reserve... much more. Gary, AKA the Bikiniman is the best rider I know.

My buddy who taught me to 'dilate my mind', and another mentor, car!os, is pictured below. And that day we were riding some of the toughest trail in Texas.... oddly enough, not very far from the aforementioned Sedero Balcones.

School is officially in session. Fully rigid. I'm not saying where it is, but it's no road ride:

That is on "Mr. T", and of course the camera cannot fully capture the technical nature of the trail.

The rougher and more technical the better for me.
    Jumper, you were so close, but yet so far away.... The best, and most technical trails are off-the-grid.... a locals only sorta thing.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Yeah, Gary is good. I remember somebody telling me that and I kept thinking "I can clear everything that he is."

Then I hit something that I couldn't even consider clearing, and as I stopped, he went over it like he wasn't even paying attention. He could have been reading a paper and drinking coffee at the same time.

And knowing the trail is half the battle.

That's why I like to have the SA folks come up to austin, I get to actually look good for a minute.

mtbr member
    sooo...did the fellow find a bike and a bike shop close to his ride?

My shop is on the way to Government Canyon. 5 minutes from the FRONT entrance of GC.

here is a link: http://home.sagecycles.com
    Join For Free Beginner Bicycle ,new social network for new cyclists. Win $140 Giro Sunglasses. Videos, Contests, Events.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by sagecycles
    sooo...did the fellow find a bike and a bike shop close to his ride?

My shop is on the way to Government Canyon. 5 minutes from the FRONT entrance of GC.

here is a link: http://home.sagecycles.com

Heading to Austin tomorrow. BCGB 360 entrance, 10a

Austin_Bike John has got him a bike to ride.

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/showthread.php?t=67323

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/showthread.php?t=67378
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    great, I was afraid he got scared off by the rigid SS boiz
    Join For Free Beginner Bicycle ,new social network for new cyclists. Win $140 Giro Sunglasses. Videos, Contests, Events.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sagecycles
    great, I was afraid he got scared off by the rigid SS boiz
    Rick,

OP knows the way of the rigid SS, he brought it up in the first place, we only offered to provide duct tape, zip ties, and other goods to help turn his loaner into the correct machine.

mtbr member
    yup, I see that now, but why did we send him to Austin when he said he wanted to ride some trail in SA? I realize that Austin may have one up on us when it comes to trails, but we have one up on many other places, and as good cycling ambassadors we need to keep people interested in our local trail systems and introduce new people to them whenever possible. Newcomers have pulled up their roots and moved to SA, just because they like our town and our trails. I hear the stories all the time. Not that I want northern yeahoo moving into my neighborhood, but most MTB folks are the type folk I would like in our town. just a thought

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

mtbr member
    looks like fun for all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    yep, even bob had fun.

Got Mojo?
    yep, even bob had fun.

And he got some candy, eye candy.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Just hit it with speed
    Hey guys I can't thank you all enough for showing me around BCG. I had a truly awesome time. The trails were like "butter" and I now have a new definition of what a rock garden is.

Thanks AustinBike for lending me the ride and thanks everyone else for your input as far as what trails to try while in Texas.

I can't wait to rock the bikemojo.com sticker on the car. I'm willing to bet no one else in Dela-Where? has one.

Got Mojo?
    Hey guys I can't thank you all enough for showing me around BCG. I had a truly awesome time. The trails were like "butter" and I now have a new definition of what a rock garden is.

Thanks AustinBike for lending me the ride and thanks everyone else for your input as far as what trails to try while in Texas.

I can't wait to rock the bikemojo.com sticker on the car. I'm willing to bet no one else in Dela-Where? has one.

perhaps when you are back we could show you Govt Canyon SNA outside SA. It has more rocks.

But the Austin Greenbelt is some prime Texas riding. I think you got a good show, and it was a good excuse for some of us SA guys to get up to Austin.

Stay in touch, see ya in July.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you want the full size pics that I took, just PM me and I can zip 'em up and throw them up on the server. There is a set of a few select pics on bikemojo.com.

Got Mojo?
    nico2me

check out the photos on True Fabrications.

http://www.truefabricationbicycles.com/gallery.html
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

i am, therefore, i ride
    nico2me

check out the photos on True Fabrications.

http://www.truefabricationbicycles.com/gallery.html
    Thanks..... cool pics
    "Life is good..... enjoy it !!!!!"

Just hit it with speed
    Just wanted to say a final thanks to all who made my trip to Texas a very impromptu and surprisingly fun MTB weekend.

I found a pretty cool group of guys more than willing to ride and share both bike and trail.

I thought I'd post up a couple pictures of my contrasting weather all within the same week!

70 something on the weekend in Austin, TX following by mid-20s and about three inches on Thursday!

Finally a picture of car with my new BIKEMOJO.com swag!

Thanks again to everyone on here who helped with setting up the BCG ride! Look me up whenever your in the Philly/Baltimore Area!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Got Mojo?

What a great day!

Just wanted to say a final thanks to all who made my trip to Texas a very impromptu and surprisingly fun MTB weekend.

I found a pretty cool group of guys more than willing to ride and share both bike and trail.

I thought I'd post up a couple pictures of my contrasting weather all within the same week!

70 something on the weekend in Austin, TX following by mid-20s and about three inches on Thursday!

Thanks again to everyone on here who helped with setting up the BCG ride! Look me up whenever your in the Philly/Baltimore Area!

Look us up when you are back this way.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Dude, your Walt is sick.... I'm jealous. Really dig the internal routing, looks super clean. Next time you're out this way bring the bike, lots places to ride, and they're all SS friendly. Also think about hooking up with SSO and company. I think there are groups rides that he and others do in Gambril/Patapsco evenings/weekends. I think Bicycle Escape is the shop that organizes the ride(s). I may be up your way this fall to visit family, if time permits we'll have to schedule a ride MD/PA style.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Waltworks? Kid, you got style!

Just hit it with speed
    Thanks for the compliments on the bike. I absolutely adore it.

I'm heading to California next month so I'm trying to set up a ride on the weekend I'll be out there.

There's also a chance that I'll be heading back to TX in March this time to the Chocolate Bayou Area outside of Houston again. Not sure if I'll have the weekend to myself again but trust me I'll try to squeeze a ride in!!

Members who have read this thread: 0