The official "It's finally cool enough to ride, but gremlins sabotaged my bike" post- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PeytonP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    351

    The official "It's finally cool enough to ride, but gremlins sabotaged my bike" post

    This cool weather is great, but I've noticed that I'm not the only one with random and extremely inconvenient (or dangerous) bike malfunctions or breaks.

    What's your "finally went riding, but this happened" story?
    Post pictures if you have them. We might as well get a laugh out of this nonsense.
    Last edited by PeytonP; 09-07-2011 at 07:32 AM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PeytonP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    351
    I finally went riding, Monday. Temperature was in the low 60F range, the sun was shining- everything was perfect. I made sure to tune and air up after not much riding for several months...

    There must be Gremlins or something enjoying the cooler temps, too.

    First, I keep losing my chain for no apparent reason.

    Then, my back wheel CAME OUT OF THE MOUNT. While climbing or bombing- I don't even know when- some sort of trail debris caught the rear wheel's axle clamp and pulled it loose. I guess that it worked its way out from there and I ended up with the axle nut in my cassette. I just knew that I had ruined my gearing for good.

    Finally, after a battle with the rear axle nut jammed in the cassette, I lost my chain after a 5' drop and made a really nice ankle sandwich with a tree and my bike frame. I'm almost sure that I felt the whole joint squeeze, stretch and separate, and pull back in place.

    My girlfriend met me halfway through the morning to take pictures of my riding for a photography project. So, maybe she has some pictures of the embarrassing and frustrating problems.

    What's your story?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 53119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,279
    first cool morning this past weekend..very stoked to ride..10min in and hit a fun little drop with tire pressure a little too low.........pffffffffffffffffffftttt. oh, yeah no tube to replace it with. it was a beautiful hike in the breeze though!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    82
    "Finally cool enough to ride"???

    Error 404. Sense not found.






    j/p

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PeytonP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    351
    I guess it's still hot in the TX desert? We've been waking up to lows in the 50s this week. We'll be back to highs around 100 by the end of next week though

    There could be another tropical storm in the Gulf soon. Who knows how that will affect things in the next 2 weeks.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    82
    I meant that a lot of people here are riding regardless of how hot it is, or was.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PeytonP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    351
    That makes sense. Believe me, I did try, but a month of swampy 110+F heat index in the woods was too much. I try not to ride without my FF helmet and it was too easy to get overheated.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    41
    We did RPR and Comfort last weekend and probably spent around 2 hours fixing flats and mechanicals. Still got some great riding in so I was

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,592
    First ride out in the nice weather got me 2 flats, then my pump died. Second ride out was great except for the wind shifting. Rode thru the flats into the wind in both directions.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by PeytonP View Post
    That makes sense. Believe me, I did try, but a month of swampy 110+F heat index in the woods was too much. I try not to ride without my FF helmet and it was too easy to get overheated.
    While riding through O.P. Schnabel, I was surprised how nice it was under tree cover in 103 weather. I was riding every other day. Now that the weather gets cooler near dark, it's starting to get too cool for shorts/tee.
    Can't please everyone. lol

    I've actually gotten a problem fixed yesterday. My rear derailleur needed just a hair tweeking. It was causing problems in 2 gears and couldn't figure out the problem.

  11. #11
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    26,864
    Quote Originally Posted by TXDesertRacer View Post
    While riding through O.P. Schnabel, I was surprised how nice it was under tree cover in 103 weather. I was riding every other day. Now that the weather gets cooler near dark, it's starting to get too cool for shorts/tee.
    Can't please everyone. lol

    I've actually gotten a problem fixed yesterday. My rear derailleur needed just a hair tweeking. It was causing problems in 2 gears and couldn't figure out the problem.
    One thing I've noticed is that 103 in East Texas is not the same as 103 farther west, especially San Antonio.

    Once it starts pushing 100, it's getting too hot for me to ride in the daytime. I start riding after dark come summertime here.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    One thing I've noticed is that 103 in East Texas is not the same as 103 farther west, especially San Antonio.

    Once it starts pushing 100, it's getting too hot for me to ride in the daytime. I start riding after dark come summertime here.
    I just saw your profile pic. You're 4yrs and 50lbs lighter than me. I'll take that over a few degrees any day. lol

  13. #13
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    26,864
    Quote Originally Posted by TXDesertRacer View Post
    I just saw your profile pic. You're 4yrs and 50lbs lighter than me. I'll take that over a few degrees any day. lol
    I've got a good 25lb on since that picture was taken (I'm down about 10lb from my max). You'd probably second-guess your decision if you knew that I come with 1 month in a coma, 3 months in a wheelchair, 9 months on high dose chemotherapy, and 1yr without even being able to ride my bike on a trainer. Oh, and being raised where real winters happen every year. I'll see you on the trails when it's -20F - or maybe not. Forgive me if the heat doesn't sit well with my physiology.

  14. #14
    No talent hack
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,089
    Blew the negative air chamber on my SID that cannot be repaired (nobody has any of the rebuild kits anymore... 10 year old shock). Hoping the main chamber stays intact, I don't have the money for a new bike now.
    2018 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey Ops (commuter, gravel, fun))

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PeytonP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    351
    I had an absolutely grueling ride at Cypress Bend yesterday. Further beyond my bewilderment that this trail is actually raced once a year, it became obvious that the freakish losing of my rear wheel on Labor Day damaged my cassette and derailleur somehow. Shifting uphill was a nightmare (when I could actually ride uphill. I've never seen such disorganized rocky mess intended for bikes to climb). I'm not sure whether to get new parts for it or bite the bullet earlier than planned and begin making payments on a new bike...

  16. #16
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    26,864
    Quote Originally Posted by PeytonP View Post
    I had an absolutely grueling ride at Cypress Bend yesterday. Further beyond my bewilderment that this trail is actually raced once a year, it became obvious that the freakish losing of my rear wheel on Labor Day damaged my cassette and derailleur somehow. Shifting uphill was a nightmare (when I could actually ride uphill. I've never seen such disorganized rocky mess intended for bikes to climb). I'm not sure whether to get new parts for it or bite the bullet earlier than planned and begin making payments on a new bike...
    Sounds like you had a fun trip. I got the replacement parts for my bike the other day. I've done a couple of rides this weekend and my bike shifts like buttah now.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PeytonP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    351
    Tomorrow's low is around 50F. I'll be riding Tyler State Park at 8am. I'm all packed up and ready to go. All I need is a good meal of spaghetti and then I'll get some sleep.

    Sounds like a perfect time to accidentally pour boiling water on my hand.

    Not gremlins, but stupidity. Ouch.

    We'll see how much gloves hurt tomorrow.

  18. #18
    TeXaS BoY
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    172
    gonna be 89 here today in b/cs. gonna hit lake bryan trails after work and finish sitting on my bumper knocking back a beer and watching the sun set over the lake. that is how one ends the day. booya
    Don't live in fear. Be ready.

    I love my bike like a fat kid loves cake.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7
    It's always better than not having a bike....lol

  20. #20
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Jack Archer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    151
    High of 88 here in San Antonio today. If not for a project that's due for school tomorrow that I haven't even started on and my nephews 1st birthday(already?) I would be out riding. Maybe one day this week... Oh wait. Midterm due next Monday. Dang it. Maybe one day...

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,479
    Rode all summer, even on that 110+ day. Bike gremlins never set in if bike is always in motion.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

    http://www.austinbike.com

Similar Threads

  1. The "official" Kids' Ride
    By perttime in forum Families and Riding with Kids
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-07-2011, 10:19 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-03-2010, 01:27 PM
  3. Replies: 93
    Last Post: 06-05-2006, 12:10 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.