NW of San Angelo?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

NW of San Angelo?

Looking at the MountainBikeTx.com googlemap, it seems odd that there is such a big empty area NW of San Angelo...specifically the Midland/Odessa area. Are there any legit places to ride out there? If so, feel free to submit 'em to MountainBikeTx.com.

Thanks!
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    It's the bottom of an ancient sea. Flat and boring. Not sure if there is even a sungle tree between San Angelo and Odessa.

TNC
    noMAD man

I like this place...

It's 40 NE of San Angleo near Bronte, and there's not much flat about it. The downside is that it's only got about 90 miles of trail.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    It's 40 NE of San Angleo near Bronte, and there's not much flat about it. The downside is that it's only got about 90 miles of trail.
    Very nice...only 90 miles, eh? Does this place a name or is it just some land in the middle of, well, nowhere?
    Pedigre

half-fast rider
    There was a riding area NW of Odessa called appropriately enough "No Trees". The area is a private ranch and land access was recently lost when the owner got into the wind farm business instead. It is apparently much more lucrative than mountain biking access.

There is a new area being developed around Big Spring.

The ranch TNC posted photos of is definitely a great place to ride. It's been way too long since I've been out there. Need to get together with the Abilene gang and get back out there one of these days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpomtb
    There was a riding area NW of Odessa called appropriately enough "No Trees". The area is a private ranch and land access was recently lost when the owner got into the wind farm business instead. It is apparently much more lucrative than mountain biking access. ...yeah I had heard that about NoTrees...gotta' love turbines.

There is a new area being developed around Big Spring.
    ...oh?

The ranch TNC posted photos of is definitely a great place to ride. It's been way too long since I've been out there. Need to get together with the Abilene gang and get back out there one of these days.
    ...is this a private ranch? Is it open to the public?
    Pedigre

half-fast rider
    It is a private ranch that the owner has opened access to Off Road Motorcycle clubs in the area. It's been many years since I was a member or guest and ridden out there. TNC has more recent info.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedigre
    ...is this a private ranch? Is it open to the public?
    It is a private ranch, but the Ross Creek Trail Riders have been on this property since '79. We have the Concho Enduro there which is part of the Texas State Enduro Circuit. Several of us ride mountainbikes there. It really is a great place. If you don't live in the area where being a member is convenient, you could hook up with me for a ride sometime. I go there a lot. I have my travel trailer out there. I'm going Friday morning to ride and camp for 3 days. I'm semi-retired but work part time at a bike shop in Abilene. I'd have to say only Moab has better riding IMO. Traffc is light out there, and with that many miles trail conflict is nil.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I go there a lot. I have my travel trailer out there. I'm going Friday morning to ride and camp for 3 days. I
    TNC, we are going to have to get together some day. I was actually kicking around taking friday off and going camping...but I don't think it will work.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Well, let me know in the future at any point and we'll see if we can coordinate a ride. We have running water, rest rooms, cook stove, showers, and other ammenities in our new clubhouse, so camping here isn't a bread and water death march...LOL!

mtbr member
    This place is awesome. These GE images give you a little bit of idea of the terrain. The two different paths you see only represent 30 of the approximately 80 miles of trail out there.
    2010 SC Blur XCc

mtbr member
    It is a private ranch, but the Ross Creek Trail Riders have been on this property since '79. We have the Concho Enduro there which is part of the Texas State Enduro Circuit. Several of us ride mountainbikes there. It really is a great place. If you don't live in the area where being a member is convenient, you could hook up with me for a ride sometime. I go there a lot. I have my travel trailer out there. I'm going Friday morning to ride and camp for 3 days. I'm semi-retired but work part time at a bike shop in Abilene. I'd have to say only Moab has better riding IMO. Traffc is light out there, and with that many miles trail conflict is nil.

Thanks for the information. I'll have to take you up on that sometime and head out that way. So, as a private ranch, it probably wouldn't be fitting to list on MountainBikeTx.com, eh? For example, we have Buck Creek Trails listed in Abilene, though it requires access from BikeTown bike shop; however, it has a known method of gaining access, so we include it. Am I correct in assuming that this place isn't quite like that as far as access?
    Pedigre

Dec 2007
    TNC, I just read Purs post over in Passion which led me here. Question...is this place open to the public or is it 'invitation only'?

It's not too far away for a weekend trip for me and I'm always looking for new (to me) places to ride.

thanks,
    Mikey

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyLikesIt
    TNC, I just read Purs post over in Passion which led me here. Question...is this place open to the public or is it 'invitation only'?

It's not too far away for a weekend trip for me and I'm always looking for new (to me) places to ride.

thanks,
    Mikey
    Mikey, yes it's a private ranch. A person can become a member, but it also requires a commitment to working a piece of trail and then working the annual enduro dirt motor race that is part of the Texas State Enduro Circuit. On the other hand, I've extended a standing invitation to just about anyone who wants to come ride at this place. Weather permiting, I'm there nearly every weekend during January and February from about Friday through Sunday. I'm also there many other weekends. Our motorcycle race is March 1. This place has great camping, running water, bathrooms, electricity, etc. Anyone can come as my guest for free and ride with me or our group. Yes, it has many, many highly technical areas but really any decent MTB'er can ride most of it...and push the rest. Character Zero has threatend several times to show up, but apparently they're empty threats.

Here's a shot from this weekend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    TNC, we are going to have to get together some day. I was actually kicking around taking friday off and going camping...but I don't think it will work.
    Uhhhh....

TNC
    noMAD man

Easier access...

Thanks for the information. I'll have to take you up on that sometime and head out that way. So, as a private ranch, it probably wouldn't be fitting to list on MountainBikeTx.com, eh? For example, we have Buck Creek Trails listed in Abilene, though it requires access from BikeTown bike shop; however, it has a known method of gaining access, so we include it. Am I correct in assuming that this place isn't quite like that as far as access?
    Pedigre, the Buck Creek Trails are easier access than Bronte, and if you're an out-of-towner, call Biketown at 325-677-2453 for more info on how get in a ride.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yes, it has many, many highly technical areas but really any decent MTB'er can ride most of it...and push the rest. Character Zero has threatend several times to show up, but apparently they're empty threats.
    Uh oh...maybe joltz and another rider will have to come as backup...you know, to help push my bike up the hill as I cough and wheez on the side.

I did end up camping Friday night - a quick trip with my 2yo around the corner to Pace Bend Park for his first camping excursion. It cost me my lungs and weekend rides - I am not sure if it is the cedar/dust/cold front that came thru at 2am, or if I am just fighting off a cold, but damn, my lungs are raw. Worth every second of it though to have him love camping.

Dec 2007
    Mikey, yes it's a private ranch. A person can become a member, but it also requires a commitment to working a piece of trail and then working the annual enduro dirt motor race that is part of the Texas State Enduro Circuit. On the other hand, I've extended a standing invitation to just about anyone who wants to come ride at this place. Weather permiting, I'm there nearly every weekend during January and February from about Friday through Sunday. I'm also there many other weekends. Our motorcycle race is March 1. This place has great camping, running water, bathrooms, electricity, etc. Anyone can come as my guest for free and ride with me or our group. Yes, it has many, many highly technical areas but really any decent MTB'er can ride most of it...and push the rest. Character Zero has threatend several times to show up, but apparently they're empty threats.

Here's a shot from this weekend.
    Thanks for the invitation, TNC. Sounds great. I'll send a PM when/if my schedule opens up (I'm currently building a trail...with little help...when I'm not riding, I'm usually building)

Do you ride there after the moto race?

Mikey

TNC
    noMAD man

Yep...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyLikesIt
    Thanks for the invitation, TNC. Sounds great. I'll send a PM when/if my schedule opens up (I'm currently building a trail...with little help...when I'm not riding, I'm usually building)

Do you ride there after the moto race?

Mikey
    We still ride.

mtbr member
    Pedigre, the Buck Creek Trails are easier access than Bronte, and if you're an out-of-towner, call Biketown at 325-677-2453 for more info on how get in a ride.
    Thanks for the info. Buck Creek is probably the only "limited access" trail listed on the site at the moment. Jim was nice enough to submit it to me while I was too busy debating whether to include it or not (due to its limited access).

I need to plan another 'bounce around Texas for the sake of "research" ' roadtrip again.
    Pedigre

TNC
    noMAD man
    Correct...not the same access as Buck Creek.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Purs
    This place is awesome. These GE images give you a little bit of idea of the terrain. The two different paths you see only represent 30 of the approximately 80 miles of trail out there.

mind if I use these?
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    mind if I use these?
    be my guest.
    2010 SC Blur XCc

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Sorry to highjack but it seems this thread is almost done and you are obviously the right people to ask this question.
    I am in the military and will be in San Angelo for the last week of May and the first week of June. What tires would you recommend running out there? I have XT M-775 tubeless rims and at the moment am running Nobby Nic/Racing Ralph combo with latex tubes out here in Belgium. Obviously I have to lose the latex tubes at price they fetch I don't feel like blowing them every ride. Is tubeless with sealant the way to go with all the cacti and sharp rocks out there?
    I plan on getting as much time as possible in on the trails there before heading back this way. Hopefully the heat won't kill me. I have been riding in 40-50 degree weather over here. It broke 60* on Sunday and we were all sweating like crazy.

half-fast rider
    I'm in San Angelo and should be around at that time. Can show you our local trails. Tubeless tires and slime seem to yield the best results out here. We have lots of pointy vegetation. Mesquite thorns, prickly pear, other cactus. Definitely not the area to run the high dollar latex tubes.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks, I am planning on getting some UST Nevegals with Slime unless anyone else can recommend something different.

half-fast rider
    I run a Nevegal up front and crossmark out back with good results. Running the tubeless versions with stan's. Works as well as anything does out here with our thorns.

Members who have read this thread: 0