Northshore Dallas Traihead advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Northshore Dallas Traihead advice

Last time I was near Dallas I started at the Twin Coves parking and got a few miles down the trail before having to tunr back due to time contraints. Well, I'm headed back and would like to ride the the whole "loop". Where is the best place to start ( I will be near Irving btw) to get in "the best" out and back?

mtbr member
    and 2 other questions...

what is the trail marked on the DORBA site just south of Lake Grapevine and the trail just north of John w Carpenter Fwy on California Crossing Rd.?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The trail on the southern side of Grapevine lake is Horseshoe. I've only ridden a couple of times because Northshore, IMHO, is a far better and more challenging trail. Although NS is probably far more crowded especially when you get closer to Rockledge park. If you are coming from Irving then Rockledge is probably the best and easiest place to park but it also can be crowded and I think there is an admission cost to get into the park. Most people start from the MADD shelter which is in Murrell park. The park ranger at the gate can give you directions to the trailhead.

Murrell park is sort of in the middle of the trail. If you start there and go east (Right from the MADD shelter) you'll have a less technical and faster ride and you'll end up in Rockledge Park. If you go west (left from the MADD shelter) you'll get the more technical part of the trail and wind up in Twin Coves.

Last I knew you could get into that park for free to park at Murrell but there were rumors that was going to change. It's been a while since I've been at NS.

Directions for Murrell Park and Twin Coves are on the Dorba2.com web site. You can google Rockledge park Grapevine if you want to start there, but your best bet for finding someone to ride with in probably from the MADD shelter in Murrell Park.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The trail North of John Carpenter is L.B. Houston

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    put 3000 N Park Drive, Flower Mound TX into your GPS or Google Map. There is a trail head just past that address. You will see cars parked at a Murrell Park gate a trailhead sign.

Head out to the west/north from there. there is an approximate 12 mile loop. You'll have fun.

mtbr member
    PJ, I'd be willing to give you a tour of any of our trails.

PM he here and let me know if you want the tour and when you plan to be
    in Dallas.

PS: Northshore is approx a 1.5 hour ride to do the whole thing. East and west sides.
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    THis is the address you want. it will put you in the middle.
    Little Petes address
    4600 Murrell Park Rd.
    Flower Mound, TX 75022

From this point the west side is the more technical and rocky side about 4-5 miles and the East side is just fast and fun 13ish miles.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the advice. We got to the Rockledge trailhead late morning and took off towards Twin Cove. We a local (Brett) that took us as far as Murrell and then we continued on towards the end.

Overall, we had a really good time and I like how the trail is split now for most of the "loop". I could see where that fast trail could cause some incidents from multi-use, multi-directional users.

I enjoyed the trail past Murrell the most and really liked the return back to Rockledge. I found myself zoning out and really pushing my speed in the swoopy sections. However, I did wake up quite a bit when I took the large rock drop off to the right just towards the end. The quote of the day for me was right there when I rolling off the higher, steaper line and someone on the side of the trail said "dude that's not the line".

Members who have read this thread: 0