northshore dallas this thursday- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

northshore dallas this thursday

trail report?
    driving in from houston. are the trails out there muddy?

mtbr member
    So far its good per DORBA. If there is no rain between now and thursday you should be fine.
    Dallas Off Road Bicycle Association
    2012 Yeti 575
    2013 Niner AIR 9
    2015 GG/DH
    Build in process 2017 Canfield Bro. Nimble 9

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    thanks. do u guys have FB pages for each trail out there? here in houston we have a page for all our trails, so conditions are posted all the time.

i tried joining the north texas mountain bike patrol group, but not accepted yet, and not sure if that's even correct. i just saw someone posting about riding north shore in there a while back

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Dorba has a good system where you can see trail updates from their webpage. Go to the DORBA page, and then go to the individual trail and there is an Updates tab that let's you see what the conditions are.

mtbr member
    Yes, that link in my post shows current status of DORBA trails. I think that if the trail has a FB page they typically have a link for that trail in its description.

I just use the DORBA site as it is visual, Green=Open(map shows them blue), Red=Closed. It is kept current on a daily basis and updated as soon as a trail is deemed ready to ride.

Only a few trails are iffy about updates on there, but they are State Parks and so you can call and find out current conditions from them.

This link will take you to the map with trails listed with Open and Closed status. North Shore is listed open. If it stays dry here more should be open when you get here.
    Dallas Off Road Bicycle Association
    2012 Yeti 575
    2013 Niner AIR 9
    2015 GG/DH

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    thanks everyone
    i'm going to hit the west loop, says it's more technical, on thursday morning, probably start around 10pm, if anyone wants to join

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    also, which trailhead is considered the start of west loop?

mtbr member
    Hey no problem. I have been down here in the west Ft. W area for just a little while (moved from CO) and am still exploring the area trails. I have been to North Shore once and looked around. I might show up to ride it with ya.

Edit:
    I think the MADD Shelter will give you access to the west side best. I have a printed map, I'm looking at here. It says, as you noted the West section is harder and the higher the trail number the more difficult. The MADD Shelter puts you on the start of Loops 5 and 6 that you could string together for ~6.25 miles. Loop 1 is to the east from MADD.
    2012 Yeti 575
    2013 Niner AIR 9
    2015 GG/DH

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sinfony78 View Post
    thanks everyone
    i'm going to hit the west loop, says it's more technical, on thursday morning, probably start around 10pm, if anyone wants to join
    Depends what kind of technical you're looking for. Northshore is flat and the tech sections are rock gardens and a couple of small drops, IMO. Still a fun trail but don't expect downhill runs or berms or jumps or big drops.

Magically Delicious
    Northshore Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NorthshoreTrail/

Don't forget about loop 7. This wasn't mentioned. It picks up on the backside of loop 6 near Twin Coves and continues up the east side of the road and return back south on the west side of Twin Coves. There are short technical climbs, but nothing sustained. My assumption is matador hasn't ridden Northshore lately...they have been adding berms for the last 8 or 9 months.

Loop 4 has some fun stuff, but has been challenged with water issues this past week.

Loop mileages for West Loops:

Loop 5 - 2.5 miles
    Loop 6 - 4.2 miles
    Loop 7 - 2.5 miles
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Northshore Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NorthshoreTrail/

Don't forget about loop 7. This wasn't mentioned. It picks up on the backside of loop 6 near Twin Coves and continues up the east side of the road and return back south on the west side of Twin Coves. There are short technical climbs, but nothing sustained. My assumption is matador hasn't ridden Northshore lately...they have been adding berms for the last 8 or 9 months.

Loop 4 has some fun stuff, but has been challenged with water issues this past week.

Loop mileages for West Loops:

Loop 5 - 2.5 miles
    Loop 6 - 4.2 miles
    Loop 7 - 2.5 miles
    I'll admit I haven't been there since all the flooding, but just trying to say that "technical" is subjective and it means different things depending where you are.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    I'll admit I haven't been there since all the flooding, but just trying to say that "technical" is subjective and it means different things depending where you are.
    You're very correct in the statement that 'technical' is subjective. When folks tell me about somethings that's technical, I need to take that with a 'grain of salt'.

Everything in the DFW area is flat from a relative perspective indeed. Just to offer a little perspective to Northshore, my GPS elevation gain for riding all of the 7 loops at Northshore indicates slightly over 1,000 ft. When compared to about the same mileage at Dinosaur Valley State Park (DVSP), I get about 1,900 ft of elevation gain. These are chump change when compared to riding an many other areas.

But when these elevation gains are compared to what Houston offers, it's significant.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    part of 6 and a lot of 7 (past twin coves?) is what i was looking for.

i don't consider berms and jumps to be difficult, they can be easily rolled (except gaps, i guess)
    roots, rocks, climbs that require you to get out of the seat or that need to be sessioned, ledges, drops - that's what i consider technical. i thought that was pretty universal; runs at whistler are designated tech or flow, so i sum them up the same

i did enjoy most of the farthest section, i'd be happy to ride that over and over again. is there more of that stuff anywhere else?

Magically Delicious
    You rode all of 6 and 7? Did ya clean it?

Fun trail!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    had to walk one part in 7, steepest climb out there - the section past the road after the first hard, sandy climb near the water. i'm pretty sure i could have done it if i had my legs, but i haven't ridden difficult stuff in quite a while. i sessioned it twice, but decided to move on, was already tired from riding the day before. i tried a right side line, left side looked harder and would probably need speed from the high side coming in

Magically Delicious
    If I can recall where I think that you're talking about, the tough part is picking up enough speed through the 30 or so feet of sand leading up to the climb. I've never cleaned that, but I defiantly believe it very doable. Is this where it turns up and to your right as you hit it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    past that. after that sand climb you're referring to, cross the road, and maybe 1/8 of a mile there's what i'm talking about, right after a fork

what you're talking about, a guy out there said people like to roll up the middle section of rocks, but i went left