North Texans, where do ya'll go for vacation to ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

North Texans, where do ya'll go for vacation to ride?

My wife and I have been heading to Colorado for the last 7 years ( Durango, Breckenridge, Fruita, Crested Butte ) Just wondering where other Texans go for good riding within a days drive?

bike rider
    If you're willing to drive just a bit further then you should head to Salt Lake and the surrounding ares. EPIC! I had always gone to Colorado and was talked into trying the SLC area in 1998 and I've been back almost every summer since. Try it once and you'll Love it.
    My Bikes Kick Ass!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My family and a group of friends will be heading to New Mexico in June. I will let you know how that goes, but I have heard GREAT things about the riding in New Mexico.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    We have made it over to Utah ( Moab ) for a day trip while in Durango on a couple of occasions. But I would like to check out the southwestern part of the state not sure how SLC area compares?? What part of New Mexico are you talking about marxcamaro?? We usually drive through the Northern part ( Angel Fire / Cimmaron ) on our way to Durango and see trail markers and sweet singletrack just off the road that looks tasty but we're usually trying to get to our cabin in Durango so we never have stopped..

mtbr member
    The Palatinate Forest in Germany...various parts of Korea...oh, wait, those weren't/aren't vacations

Did the Albuquerque area in 08 & 09 thanks to a conference held there back to back years. Great riding, even in August.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    keithrad, we will be staying in the Angel Fire are and plan on riding there and Taos area. I have been trying to do some research on the different trails in those area. I will let you know how it is. I am ready to go now. 4 months and counting.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Right on marxcamaro, sounds like fun. Hope you find some killer trails. We're heading for Crested Butte on July 1st, if we don't change our minds, and try something new.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedigre
    The Palatinate Forest in Germany...various parts of Korea...oh, wait, those weren't/aren't vacations

And most certainly not 15 hours away!

Did the Albuquerque area in 08 & 09 thanks to a conference held there back to back years. Great riding, even in August.

Ive also heard good things of Albuquerque from a buddy who downhills at Angel Fire. I just can't seem to get past Colorado only being a days drive. I'm afraid I would be dissapointed anywhere else!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keithrad
    I'm afraid I would be dissapointed anywhere else!!
    Variety is the spice of life...besides, disappointed elsewhere, or always wondering just how sweet it might have been...
    Pedigre

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Head east, man!

Arkansas: The Womble and Ouchita Trails are awesome! The scenery is great, and the lodging is varied. Eureka Springs also has trails to offer.

GA, NC: Even further east is some great riding from Atlanta through the North GA mountains and into NC. Asheville, in particular, has a lot to offer.

TN: The Chattanooga area has riding similar to N. GA and allows easy access to NE GA riding.

You can get to Asheville (according to Google maps) in an hour less than the time it takes you to get to Fruita. Atlanta is four hours closer.

D

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yes we are hoping to do the whole gammit of things like rafting, biking, fishin and camping. Trying to get the best out of my week of vacation. Probably hit the New Mexico forum here and see what the locals have to say about the local trails in that area. Next year I am thinking about heading up to Colorado for vacation and checking out the trails there. Utah is also another vacation spot I would like to hit!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    [QUOTE=dburatti]Head east, man!

Arkansas: The Womble and Ouchita Trails are awesome! The scenery is great, and the lodging is varied. Eureka Springs also has trails to offer.

Went to Mount Ida Arkansas 2 years ago and rode the Womble. Not saying it was bad, It just doesn't compare to the trails in the southwest imho. Although I definitetly want to check out the Ouchita trails farther north, as well as Devils Den.

As for Georgia ...(cue banjos)... only if Burt Reynolds has my back Just kidding. Some of that ( N.C. ) seems too far out there, though I'm sure there is good stuff to be enjoyed!
    Last edited by keithrad; 03-01-2011 at 11:17 AM.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Went to Mount Ida Arkansas 2 years ago and rode the Womble. Not saying it was bad, It just doesn't compare to the trails in the southwest imho. Although I definitetly want to check out the Ouchita trails farther north, as well as Devils Den.
    It's definitely not the same. I don't think anything compares to the riding in the Big Bend area of Texas, but that's not going to keep me from riding elsewhere. You stated you had gone to CO the past seven years. In that period, you probably have ridden all the best stuff and repeated a little, too. My point was to suggest something different.

I like the riding in AZ, too, but chose not to post up about it. Anyway....

As for Georgia ...(cue banjos)... only if Burt Reynolds has my back Just kidding. Some of that ( N.C. ) seems too far out there, though I'm sure there is good stuff to be enjoyed!
    As I stated, it's closer than Fruita. Google map it. Don't be afraid!

D

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dburatti
    It's definitely not the same. I don't think anything compares to the riding in the Big Bend area of Texas, but that's not going to keep me from riding elsewhere. You stated you had gone to CO the past seven years. In that period, you probably have ridden all the best stuff and repeated a little, too. My point was to suggest something different.

And that's what the post was meant for Again within a days drive.

I like the riding in AZ, too, but chose not to post up about it. Anyway....

Thats one I'd like to check out as well, particularly the Sedona area as I've known people that make regular trips back there.

As I stated, it's closer than Fruita. Google map it. Don't be afraid!

D
    I'm heading out to ride. When I get home this evening I'll certainly map it and I will fear not

mtbr member
    Where are Y'all located at in North Texas. I am originally from AZ, but recently moved to the Panhandle for a new job/life in Dairy. I miss the AZ trails, but get my fix from Palo Duro and Mae Simmons in Lubbock.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm just south of the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex. I've talked to some folks up in the panhandle and am planning a trip to Palo Duro this spring. Looks killer out there, with lots of stuff to dick around on...ledges ,drops etc. Kinda Fruita like..?

mtbr member
    Some friends and I are heading to Broken Bow, OK this weekend. Anyone rode up there and can give some input as to bring the MTB or hike w/ the dog
    ~Dont taze me Bro~

meh
    At Lake View Lodge there is a trail head for a decent bit of singletrack, it connects to the Indian Nations Trail around there too and i believe its rideable, but never hit it, been a while since ive been...def worth bringing the bike though

here is the info on the trail i rode, there is a link to a map pdf...may be some other stuff too in the area
    http://www.ouachitaadventures.com/Tr...aversbend.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu
    At Lake View Lodge there is a trail head for a decent bit of singletrack, it connects to the Indian Nations Trail around there too and i believe its rideable, but never hit it, been a while since ive been...def worth bringing the bike though

here is the info on the trail i rode, there is a link to a map pdf...may be some other stuff too in the area

Thanks CLEW. Great link. I have heard nothing but good things since my post. Tomorrow afternoon cant come soon enough
    ~Dont taze me Bro~

mtbr member
    I want some of this, I've only riddin in Texas and atlanta and am heading to boulder/breck in 2 weeks. Also have family outside of Phoenix so a giant loop of boulder/ breck/ az/taos and back. Bringing skis and bikes. We like burly ledges like Emma Long. Recommendations?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bamwa1
    I want some of this, I've only riddin in Texas and atlanta and am heading to boulder/breck in 2 weeks. Also have family outside of Phoenix so a giant loop of boulder/ breck/ az/taos and back. Bringing skis and bikes. We like burly ledges like Emma Long. Recommendations?
    if youre in Boulder, go to Hall Ranch outside of Lyons, CO. I loved this trail when I lived in Denver. Stop by Oskar Blues for a burger and a Dales Pale Ale afterwards.

Code Burr
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu

The lake view trail is awesome, a real barn burner. Lots of roller coaster off camber burms and hills. It hooks up to the Indian Nations trail but i'd skip that unless your one of those hardcore nuts who has to punish himself with stacked climbs. Its straight up, straight down, then repeat(much like the OC). The lake view trail is worth the trip from Dallas but Broken Bow has some great camping, fishing, and scenery. Its also within reach of earthquake ridge in Arkansas. We go at least once a year. Its the best camp site in a 500 mile range IMO.

Angel Fire and Taos into South Boundary is epic I hear. I want to make it up there this summer but might be in Park City, UT.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Since starting this thread I've come to the conclusion that the wife and I are going to start making routine 1-2 day trips south ( time permitting ) to check out the hill country riding. Revielle Ranch, Tapatio Springs, Flat Rock Ranch and Lake Georgetown just for starters.
    Pedigree - great site!!! What a resource, and all compiled into one site.
    Also, we may be trying out Angel Fire ( for lift assist D.H. ) now instead of Crested Butte for something new. Been checking out the downhilling there from videos on YouTube. I think there will be enough diversity for the wife,myself, our 15 year old son and 10 year old daughter. Then on to Durango as it has become a home away from home for us. As well as the trail riding is great!

mtbr member
    Just rode Hall Ranch yesterday. Awesome after the fact but it was a punisher during. It kept going up, and up. Thank god for granny gear! Had rocks but not nearly as bad as Lake Georgetown. Glad I went to get a taste of the Front Range.I kind of feel bad for these guys out here, 45 min climb for 5 or 10 min downhill.
    Going to hit Heil Ranch today, and Walker tomorrow. That should do me if my legs last.
    Then I will have a good idea of Boulder riding. (If 1mph uphills all day can be considered riding). Want to hit Palo Duro on way back for sure. Anyone know what is the best route there?
    Thanks,
    Matt da welda

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I lived in Durango 2008-2010 and plan to go back this summer. I highly recommend a little gem of a trail system in Cortez (40 miles west of Durango) called Phil's World. Fruita is awesome and Crested Butte is epic in the heat of the summer.

XC racer
    May 2005
    For something completely different, 10 hours east from the metroplex is Oak Mountain State Park in Birmingham AL. It's the site of the annual Bump and Grind race in June, and has 21 mile loop that's one of my favorite places to ride anywhere (been there three times for the race and twice just to ride.) Along the way, you could pick up Ruston LA (Lincoln Parish Park), and I'm sure the AL locals could fill you in on more.
    I've done the CO, NM thing several times. Love it, but life's too short to do the same kind of trails over and over again. Diversity keeps me going in my mtb riding life.

Members who have read this thread: 0