New trails to ride?- Mtbr.com

Jul 2008

New trails to ride?

What's up, live in austin right now temporarily. Been riding trails around there for many years that i have lived here. Kinda boring now, anybody no anywhere else to ride that can compare to city park? City park is cool, but not very steep. It is pretty flat. Fun trail with my nomad, shred about 3/4 of the uphills, too much pedaling on the down though!

mtbr member
    Go check out this site for a pretty comprehensive list of trails in/around Austin.

www.austinbike.com

Although I haven't been there yet, Thumper seems to be at the top of everyone's list for steep. Anything else and you'd probably have to go out of town...maybe Waco.

J

Jul 2008

thumper

yeh i think that trail is off spicewood springs rd. It is alright, ya ever ridden ed's trail?

Chilling out
    Thumper is off Yaupon, which is off Old Spicewood, so you're almost there.

It has more steep than CP, but will probably put that Nomad into the "more difficult" handling zone on the uphills - at a guess. Haven't ridden a Nomad and don't know how yours is setup, but it's not like climbing CP stuff. No ledges to climb, first off. ;^)

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I personally like the Madrone Trail (Canyon Lake), it is a bit of a drive from Austin (45min-1hr) but well worth it to me.

meh... whatever
    cameron park in waco. a little over an hour drive north.

no super long downhills, but there are some gnar-gnar technical descent trails like cambodia, ho chi min, thor, babbler, bat cave, lil' lock em' ups, rib snapper, haul as</>s, lean to, lawson's, and arroyo. hale bopp is fun to rocket down as well. but only a couple of them are on the maps, so you'd need to hit the park with a local for the others.

lots of great technical climbing as well, especially doing highlander from bottom up.

you can easily spend all day riding the park, as its a trail system rather than a loop or out and back.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Good choice J-rocket.

You should think about doing an "austinbike.com" rotor. There is a market of one set, you could probably corner that market quickly
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

Members who have read this thread: 0