New riders/Best Bike Shop in Houston- Mtbr.com

Sep 2006

New riders/Best Bike Shop in Houston

My wife and I are going to start moutnain bike riding. I have a couple of questions. What is the best bike shop in Houston?

Also, what bikes do you recommend for her and me?
    She is 5"10" and will not ride if she is not fairly comfortable. So, I want to buy a decent comfortable bike, w/o spending a fourtune.
    We went to a bike shop and the guy recommended the Trek 4300 Disc.
    I saw the Ibex Iginiton 1, on line, with a full suspension for $399. What do you think of this bike instead of the Trek for her?

I am leaning to the Trek for myself.

Thanks for all your help and input

mtbr member
    Ibex is the mail order version of the POS's you can buy at wally world that weigh 35-40 lbs. More stuff like rear suspension & disk brakes for fewer bucks = poor quality parts.

Don't know that you necessarily need disk brakes, but that Trek's a decent entry level bike for riding in Houston. Checkout www.trekbikes.com there's a non-disk version of the 4300 that's $100 cheaper. Another thing, you won't get things like free tuneups or warranty service if she breaks something from a mailorder bike.

My 2 cents...Spend a few bucks more locally for better service. Like most of us have found out, if your SO's bike isn't working properly, it's no fun for her and she'll never enjoy cycling. If the 2 of you get into riding, this is the first of many bikes so buy something reliable yet inexpensive with the plan of trading up in a year or 2.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    BamaTex - there's a bunch of cool bike shops around in Houston. If you want to get decent bikes, check out Bike Barn on Westheimer and look for Mark Chambers (SM). They offer 3 or 6 months good as cash on a certain amount. Overall service is great. Other cool shops are West End Cycle and Urban Gallery. Bike Sport is another awesome shop thats very helpful. Look for Rey and he'll gladly help you out.

I bought a Specialized Rockhopper 6 months ago ($400) thinking I won't enjoy the trails of Memorial Park. And just last month I bought a Specialized Epic ($1800). My whole point for this is I should've just spent that $400 towards the Epic instead of spending $2200 altogether.

That's just me tho, i'd rather spend the extra money and not spend a whole bunch upgrading it. Hope i'm making sense. Good luck!

Jun 2005
    West End Bikes is the best. Sadly, there are no mountains in Houston though pot-holes and cracked pavement are quite common.

Sep 2006

thanks for the help and advice

we purchased bikes this weekend at West End. My wife settled on the Rockhopper with a ladies seat and I got the Rockhopper Comp.
    We have ridden a couple of times and plan to try Double Lake this weekend.

See you on the trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    BamaTex - congratulations!! my sisters boyfriend will be buying the rockhopper as well this weekend. how much did you purchase the bike? what are the components, color, etc? thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Bamatex - here's a couple of pictures of my brother and I yesterday at the Cambodia trail in Memorial.

Oct 2006

thanks for the pics...I dont know about biking anymore

I just bought my bike, nothing special and very entry level, Giant Boulder...

but looking at the pic of memorial, where I wanted to test it out..Im thinking i might break a few bones

for someone going there for the first time, any reccomendation...i have not riden a bike in 10 years, am 26 now, and wanted to get into this....how should i prepare?

also, any places in houston to get a helmet/ pack(how much should both cost) ......i live out in katy

thanks for any help you guys could give

Company CSR
    Quote Originally Posted by texacajun
    Ibex is the mail order version of the POS's you can buy at wally world that weigh 35-40 lbs. More stuff like rear suspension & disk brakes for fewer bucks = poor quality parts.
    Wrong! Go ask someone who is familiar with our brand for an accurate assesment of IBEX. For starters, check out our reviews here on MTBR.com. It should become immediately evident that IBEX bikes are neither POS's nor resemble Wal-Mart bikes in any way. texacajun gave you bad info.

Jack
    IBEX Bicycles
    IBEX Bicycles Company CSR

www.ibexbikes.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    khal80 - memorial park is not that bad to try out your new bike. they have different levels of difficulty within the colored trails (purple, orange, blue, red, yellow, and green). i just got back into biking again about 6 months ago after 13 or 14 year hiatus and i thought i wouldn't be able to handle it. i have a shoulder that pops out of the socket quite easy and at 31 i should be thinking twice with what im doing.

anyhow, i would definitely get a good helmet (giro, bell, specialized, etc.) for starters and a good hydration pack/camelbak. you could always order online but i try to support my local bike shop as much as i can. try going to sun and ski sports at katy mills mall, im sure they have some selection there that you might be interested in.

well, i guess thats it for now. dont hesitate to ask or pm. good luck riding!!

h-town hucker
    Bicycle World and Fitness

Dairy Ashford Location and West University Location

TXAG
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by khal80
    I just bought my bike, nothing special and very entry level, Giant Boulder...

but looking at the pic of memorial, where I wanted to test it out..Im thinking i might break a few bones

for someone going there for the first time, any reccomendation...i have not riden a bike in 10 years, am 26 now, and wanted to get into this....how should i prepare?

also, any places in houston to get a helmet/ pack(how much should both cost) ......i live out in katy

thanks for any help you guys could give
    dont worry too much about memorial park. it really is not bad. there are a few drops that are really not that bad and you can go around or walk down them if you need to. i love riding at memorial park (even though i haven't been there in a few months!) because you can ride for a long time and cross back and forth between all of the different trails. can make for a fun afternoon. have fun and be safe!

Members who have read this thread: 0