New rider- Mtbr.com

Thread: New rider

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

New rider

Hello new guy here. I'm looking to buy me a new mountain bike. I used to race BMX way back in the day fast forward 18yrs
    Wow how times have change. I gave up my hobby 5yrs ago. Because a single family income. But I think I found a way to get my adrenaline fix Inn. I've always wanted to go mountain bikeing. So I need yalls opinion. On my 1st mountain bike ever. I don't want to spend alot because this will be my test bike , just how much will I get into this hobby. Looking at a mongoose ledge 3.5 or that kool green huffy carnage . Lol I know the bike snobs are out there, please show me mercy. I'm big into calisthenics, I love training too, but I'm also recovering from surgery, so I'll be using the bike to get back in shape. I will be buying my 1st mountain bike with full suspension in the next 2weeks. Sorry for the long post, but please any info is appreciated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Not sure where you are in Texas but look at Craigslist. You can find some good MTB's at reasonable prices. Check for stolen bikes though.
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net
    Texas Bicycling News, Events and Experiences

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I nearly went that same route starting with a Wal-Mart Mongoose. I strongly suggest looking into used as texbiker said. Which is what I ended up doing. It's not about snobiness as much as safety and ability of the bike. Most of those bikes that look "off-road" are not actually designed for off-road use. Craigs. / Ebay etc. have many good deals for starter bikes that will last on a trail ride.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My son and I started MTB'ing on Walmart "Mongeese" bikes about 4 years ago. Beat the living snot out of those bikes taking them on trails they had no business trying to tackle.

But in our case we already had them sitting in the barn from when he & his sister were younger. So not really an "investment" just to try MTB.

We had no idea if we would like the sport or not, but after just a couple rides we were hooked. Bought Trek 29er hardtails for each of us and were blown away by the difference a quality mountain bike made out on the trail.

The Mongeese were basically $100 bikes so not much $$$ lost in thrashing them till they died. But it was a very rapid death for sure.

Moral is to seriously look at a better quality used bike over a Wallyworld special. Much better value for the money and it will give you a more accurate assessment about whether this sport is really for you or not.

I'm still amazed that our Walgoose bike experience didn't scare us away from MTB'ing for good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by texbiker View Post
    Not sure where you are in Texas but look at Craigslist. You can find some good MTB's at reasonable prices. Check for stolen bikes though.
    Ok,, my eyes hurt from all the research
    I agree.about the Walmart mongoose . What about the gravitys I've seen these on a few websites, I'm 5.11 and 165 170lbs, ,I was thinking at least a 26er tho
    Quote Originally Posted by keithrad View Post
    I nearly went that same route starting with a Wal-Mart Mongoose. I strongly suggest looking into used as texbiker said. Which is what I ended up doing. It's not about snobiness as much as safety and ability of the bike. Most of those bikes that look "off-road" are not actually designed for off-road use. Craigs. / Ebay etc. have many good deals for starter bikes that will last on a trail ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkGX View Post
    My son and I started MTB'ing on Walmart "Mongeese" bikes about 4 years ago. Beat the living snot out of those bikes taking them on trails they had no business trying to tackle.

But in our case we already had them sitting in the barn from when he & his sister were younger. So not really an "investment" just to try MTB.

We had no idea if we would like the sport or not, but after just a couple rides we were hooked. Bought Trek 29er hardtails for each of us and were blown away by the difference a quality mountain bike made out on the trail.

The Mongeese were basically $100 bikes so not much $$$ lost in thrashing them till they died. But it was a very rapid death for sure.

Moral is to seriously look at a better quality used bike over a Wallyworld special. Much better value for the money and it will give you a more accurate assessment about whether this sport is really for you or not.

I'm still amazed that our Walgoose bike experience didn't scare us away from MTB'ing for good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2012
    So wha's your preferred and top-end budget for the bike? Knowing that might help people point you to more specific bikes or places to look.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkGX View Post
    Very true. I started on a Schwinn full suspension from target. It worked fine for 2 years for road and asphalt riding. Started going out after about 10 trail rides. In retrospect, much better than expected. It's basically the rear hub and random bolts loosening up. For smoother trails, it was good though. Once rocks and roots and small jumps (less than 6") started getting involved, the headset got loose, rear axle bent and axle nuts started getting loose. Plus, the suspension was always unpredictable on rough stuff. Fork bending all sorts of directions.

wallyworld bikes are OK for gravel and smooth dirt. If that's all you want to ride, they're OK, and you can get used ones for stupid cheap. You can also learn to work on bikes on them because you will be given plenty of chances to need to work on them. Once you learn the basics of bike maintenance, you learn about what bikes should have to meet your demands.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redhot1.4 View Post
    What about the gravitys I've seen these on a few websites, I'm 5.11 and 165 170lbs, ,I was thinking at least a 26er tho
    Don't get the gravity FSX. I had one. it's OK if you know how to set it up, but there are better out there. It always had really sloppy suspension and a rear wheel. And don't start with a full suspension. Unless you're willing to spend over $1k, not much better than a wallyworld full suspension frame. coil spring and cheap fork with fancy stickers.

For cheap, this one is OK. Nashbar normally does 20+% off deals (had one yesterday).
    SE Big Mountain 24 Mountain Bike

For a little more money, this one is an acceptable trail bike that won't make you hate riding a bike. Plus, it will have some resale value if you decide to upgrade.
    Diamondback Overdrive Sport 29er Mountain Bike - Nashbar Exclusive

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I live 30 mins from waco tx
    I wanted to keep it between 200 and 300 dollars, for my 1st mtb if that helps, I'm getting the wife 1 as well,. I've got 2 kids to carry with. We wanted to do more camping this yr, we love the outdoors. And I could get me in some mtb while camping

CXK
    mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Here's the risk: You buy a $200-$300 bike, absolutely love mountain biking and immediately want to spend 10x your original cost. Thats just about where I am. I wasn't sure I'd like it so I spent $500 on a Trek Marlin 5. Which is a good bike for a beginner. I've put 1000+ miles on it in a year. It's held up to be beating the hell out of it. Its a tough call but if you're more interested in riding mainly when you camp I'd think you'll get by with a cheaper bike.

I'd definitely suggest getting the best hardtail you can at that price, used would be better so you can get a nicer bike for less. Dont bother with the full suspension you will not find a decent one for your price range. My cousin bought a bike that he thought was pretty good because he saw the coil in the back. The bike is so bad its nearly unridable. He tried to come with me on a very simple ride and couldn't keep up. I let him try my bike because he wants to buy it and even my $500 bike felt like a dream to him. I tried his bike and good god I don't know how he made it a mile on that thing.

I was in the same position as you a year or so ago. I came here, mentioned I don't want to spend much and everyone told me buy used or save up and buy a nice bike. I didnt want to wait (who does) and couldn't find a bike I liked on Craigslist so I just bought it. I don't regret it, I likely would have just given up on the idea and stayed a couch potato.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by CXK View Post
    Here's the risk: You buy a $200-$300 bike, absolutely love mountain biking and immediately want to spend 10x your original cost. Thats just about where I am. I wasn't sure I'd like it so I spent $500 on a Trek Marlin 5. Which is a good bike for a beginner. I've put 1000+ miles on it in a year. It's held up to be beating the hell out of it. Its a tough call but if you're more interested in riding mainly when you camp I'd think you'll get by with a cheaper bike.

I'd definitely suggest getting the best hardtail you can at that price, used would be better so you can get a nicer bike for less. Dont bother with the full suspension you will not find a decent one for your price range. My cousin bought a bike that he thought was pretty good because he saw the coil in the back. The bike is so bad its nearly unridable. He tried to come with me on a very simple ride and couldn't keep up. I let him try my bike because he wants to buy it and even my $500 bike felt like a dream to him. I tried his bike and good god I don't know how he made it a mile on that thing.

I was in the same position as you a year or so ago. I came here, mentioned I don't want to spend much and everyone told me buy used or save up and buy a nice bike. I didnt want to wait (who does) and couldn't find a bike I liked on Craigslist so I just bought it. I don't regret it, I likely would have just given up on the idea and stayed a couch potato.
    Wow,, I appreciate the info. I will be riding more than I go camping, it's just another reason to buy 1. From what I gather a hard tail is the way to go on my 1st buy. Now I need to decide on wich 1, I'm going out of town this weekend
    I'm sure I can stop and check some out at a bike shop. So what are some good hard tails out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Really like this bike on YouTube

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Has any one delt with tredz, they seem to have some good quality starter bikes I think my price has increased lol now I need to pull the trigger

mtbr member
    Are you in Texas, or the UK? You keep posting links from UK, and after doing the $ conversion, they are the same/more as what you can get them for in the US.

This is OK, and you should be able to talk them down to $200 without too much issue. It comes with a decent helmet and some bags, so that helps make up some of the cost. By itself, I'd say the bike is worth about $150 to $180 based on condition and if it works properly. It's at least a 5 year old model (first talked about on MTBR in 2011), but since bikesdirect doesn't sell by years, it could have been bought just a year ago (after sitting in bikedirects warehouse for 4 years). either way, it's a basic low level introductory trail bike that you can get for cheap. the parts are acceptable quality, and easy to work on.
    Dawes Haymaker 1000 24sp

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/hay1000xi.htm

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Are you in Texas, or the UK? You keep posting links from UK, and after doing the $ conversion, they are the same/more as what you can get them for in the US.

This is OK, and you should be able to talk them down to $200 without too much issue. It comes with a decent helmet and some bags, so that helps make up some of the cost. By itself, I'd say the bike is worth about $150 to $180 based on condition and if it works properly. It's at least a 5 year old model (first talked about on MTBR in 2011), but since bikesdirect doesn't sell by years, it could have been bought just a year ago (after sitting in bikedirects warehouse for 4 years). either way, it's a basic low level introductory trail bike that you can get for cheap. the parts are acceptable quality, and easy to work on.
    Dawes Haymaker 1000 24sp

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/hay1000xi.htm
    Sorry didn't realize that I was on a UK website. . Born and raised Central Texas
    I did look up on Craigslist list and found a giant atx2 and trek alpha 3700 both aroud 200 bucks..

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Check out ebay,and Pinkbike too. I've bought and sold several bikes on both with no issues. Lots of decent deals to be found! Both have price filters you can use to find bikes within your budget.

mtbr member
    I agree with everyone telling you to try used. you will be able to get a much better bike that way. you don't want to buy a new bike that is so cheap and low performing that the bike itself makes you dis-like mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Here's a link to a quick pinkbike search for you. I saw your height as 5'11" so I listed bike size as a large and the top $ limit as $500. I've had good luck on Pinkbike and have bought everything from components to whole bikes on there. Ebay and Craigslist are good suggestions too.
    Pinkbike BuySell Search

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    What you guys think.. is a 16 inch frame to small for a 5 11 tall person not. Big on the color but it looks like a sweet bike. Dimond back was a good brand back in the day

mtbr member
    Way too small.....you need a size large or most likely a 19.5" frame. Drive up to Dallas and buy a bike from Costco. Not sure what they have out there but the ones out West here are very decent starter bikes and if you absolutely hate it, you can actually return it.

I didn't see anything on the Waco or Austin Craigslist sites that I would bother with at the $300 price range.

Here's the bike Costco has on their site. https://www.costco.com/Diamondback-O...100303215.html
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Oddly enough, I have heard OK things about some of the bikes from Costco. If the price is good (and your Costco carries bikes), worth checking out. You have to assemble it though, so it's not much better than buying a bike online. They might "assemble" it, but it's basically taking all the packing paper off, attaching wheels and putting air in the tires.

Nashbar is doing 23% off right now, so if you want a decent spec bike without the hassle of buying used, just grab a bike off there. Under $300 will get you an entry level 29er. Under $500 will get you an acceptable trail bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Oddly enough, I have heard OK things about some of the bikes from Costco. If the price is good (and your Costco carries bikes), worth checking out. You have to assemble it though, so it's not much better than buying a bike online. They might "assemble" it, but it's basically taking all the packing paper off, attaching wheels and putting air in the tires.

Nashbar is doing 23% off right now, so if you want a decent spec bike without the hassle of buying used, just grab a bike off there. Under $300 will get you an entry level 29er. Under $500 will get you an acceptable trail bike.
    Thanks I'll check it out. What's the difference between the 27 28 29ers
    I know it's the wheel sizes. But what the cons of bigger and smaller

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Way too small.....you need a size large or most likely a 19.5" frame. Drive up to Dallas and buy a bike from Costco. Not sure what they have out there but the ones out West here are very decent starter bikes and if you absolutely hate it, you can actually return it.

I didn't see anything on the Waco or Austin Craigslist sites that I would bother with at the $300 price range.

Here's the bike Costco has on their site. https://www.costco.com/Diamondback-O...100303215.html
    Costco? So I can drive to there store or do you have to order online. I've never heard of it. But I really like that green Dimond back

mtbr member
    Costco is a membership only bulk item store, kinda like Sam's Club for wal-mart. If you have a family, go through bags of coffee and gallons of milk a week, worth it. Otherwise, find someone you know who has a Costco membership. You can go into the store to see what they have, but you need to have a membership card to buy something.

27.5 vs. 29er is an endless debate. IMO, if you're tall, a 29er is the way to go. If you're short, a 29er can be difficult to ride vs. a 27.5 because of the additional 3-4" height of the handlebar and top tube. It can interfere with your ability to easily get off the bike in a non-ball-busting manner. At your height, you'd be fine on a 27.5" bike, but you would still enjoy a 29er. It depends on body proportion and what you ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Costco is a membership only bulk item store, kinda like Sam's Club for wal-mart. If you have a family, go through bags of coffee and gallons of milk a week, worth it. Otherwise, find someone you know who has a Costco membership. You can go into the store to see what they have, but you need to have a membership card to buy something.

27.5 vs. 29er is an endless debate. IMO, if you're tall, a 29er is the way to go. If you're short, a 29er can be difficult to ride vs. a 27.5 because of the additional 3-4" height of the handlebar and top tube. It can interfere with your ability to easily get off the bike in a non-ball-busting manner. At your height, you'd be fine on a 27.5" bike, but you would still enjoy a 29er. It depends on body proportion and what you ride.
    Look what I just bought
    Super pump,, thanks watts888
    Nashbar had what I was looking for

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Last edited by redhot1.4; 01-23-2017 at 03:52 PM. Reason: I pulled the trigger on this 29er can't wait thanks for the info

mtbr member
    Costco? So I can drive to there store or do you have to order online. I've never heard of it. But I really like that green Dimond back

You've never heard of Costco? I live in SoCal and we have them all over. There are (9) in the Dallas area and (3) in the San Antonio area. They might not all carry bikes or have them in stock but YES, you can just go there and buy the bike. If you haven't heard of them, you surely don't have a membership which you need. Find a friend with a membership and just order it.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Excellent starter bike. Hope you get hooked.
    Last edited by k2rider1964; 01-23-2017 at 10:40 PM.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Costco treats employees MUCH better than Walmart or other big retailers.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    Costco treats employees MUCH better than Walmart or other big retailers.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
    I may have missed it and I'm not one of those people that bash Wally-World but you're right, Costco employees never seem to leave and appear to enjoy their work, at least at the Costco's here in SoCal. There are numerous 20+ year employees at my closest Costco. You don't stay that long at a place your not getting treated properly.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    I live 30 mins from waco tx
    I wanted to keep it between 200 and 300 dollars, for my 1st mtb if that helps, I'm getting the wife 1 as well,. I've got 2 kids to carry with. We wanted to do more camping this yr, we love the outdoors. And I could get me in some mtb while camping

Since you have BMX background, you might consider an MTB Dirt Jumper or "Freeride" Hardtail.

Mongoose Thunderball/Enduro Downhill Jumper 8Spd 26er+ - $350 (Price Firm/N.Austin)
    Mongoose Thunderball/Enduro Downhill Jumper 8Spd 26er+

12 Model C & Haro DJ & Ibis Mojo - $400
    '12 Model C & Haro DJ & Ibis Mojo

EDIT: oh I see you already bought something.....