New guy seeking advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

New guy seeking advice

A co-worker of mine wants to sell me his bike and I was just wondering if some of you could share some advice on whether or not it is a good deal. I don't know anything about mtb, so I figured this would be the place to ask.

Anyhow, let me start by giving my stats. I'm about 5'9" 240lbs with a 31" inseam.

The bike is a 2006 Specialized HardRock Sport Disc (Dream in color)
    Here are the technical specs
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...006&spid=21690

He says it has less than 10 miles on it and it has a computer.
    I don't know which model computer nor do I know what size the bike is.

He is wanting $250.
    Taking into consideration the bike fits me, what do you guys think?

I see there are quite a few people in the greater Houston area, I look forward to meeting you guys

I posted this over on the Specialized thread but have only received 1 response, I hope to get more feedback here.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Smile

you should pass. the specialized hardrocks are bottom of the line with poor components. dont rush into buying a bike, you will regret it later. visit local bike shops to get an idea of what you want and your price range. He likely paid well under the $500 msrp. The components will likely disappoint you. If you are wanting specialized you should consider looking at the 2009 rockhopper. It has a much better fork, avid disc brakes (good), and for only 770. If you have a lower budget look at different makes. Giant bikes usually have pretty decent specs for their less expensive bikes. Keep in mind that you can usually buy a mid to high range used bike for the price of a low end new bike too. Just make sure to do online or in store research before you make your purchase.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yeah, he said he paid $499. But I figured it wasn't a bad deal considering it's in and around my price range, its the model right above the basic HardRock Sport and practically brand new with less than 10 miles on it (there's no way I can afford a $500+ bike right now). Maybe, just maybe the most I can spend on a bike right now would be $350, I know it ain't much but it's what I can afford right now.

At what price would you consider this a good deal?
    Please keep in mind that I am a beginner.

Those I have spoken to (several Bike Barns and a couple of guys I know that are really experienced riders), have said that this is more of an intermediate than an entry-level bike.

I was also looking at the Haro Flightline models, what do you think about those?

Thanks man

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Consider the purchase I made a few weeks ago.. I purchased a 2005 Gary Fisher HKEK for $250. The MSRP in 2005 was $920.
    http://www.fisherbikes.com/archive/model/146

Granted there are many variables between the situations, there are better bikes out there around in your price range. You can find these deals on Craigslist, here, or on the local mtb club website
    http://www.ghorba.org/forum/

But it does sometimes take a while.. so if you don't want to wait, and don't think you'll be aggressive on the trails once you get comfy on the bike... then buy it IF it fits and for no more than $200. Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If it is a medium frame, I would say go for it. The components are nothing special, but they will work. Don't get too caught up in the discusions about what components are better than others, just ride the bike and have a good time. By the time you destroy it (it will take longer than you think) you will have a good understanding of what you like and don't like about the bike and can make a better decision.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
    If it is a medium frame, I would say go for it. The components are nothing special, but they will work. Don't get too caught up in the discusions about what components are better than others, just ride the bike and have a good time. By the time you destroy it (it will take longer than you think) you will have a good understanding of what you like and don't like about the bike and can make a better decision.

i agree. you gotta start somewhere. just dont start at wal-mart if you can help it.

i am, therefore, i ride
    Not a bad bike if for $200.00, that would be a fair price for it.
    "Life is good..... enjoy it !!!!!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well, I went to go test ride a couple of bikes yesterday at Bike Barn and it seems I have really short legs cause the guys there recommended a 15" bike. I tried both an '08 GF Tarpon and an '08 Sp HardRock Sport, I felt a little more comfortable on the specialized but I absolutley hated both their colors. I was there for a good while, about 2.5 hours. At first I test rode the hardrock bone stock and the guys helping me said it just didn't look right (posture) so they changed out the stem to move the handlebars forward (which took forever because they couldn't find one) and they re-adjusted my seat (slid it back some). And although it felt a little better, I couldn't ignore the fact that this saddle was killing my rear end, I mean, it hurt so bad I couldn't really think about how the rest of the bike felt. Anyways, I ran out of time and had to pick my wife up from school, so I left...
    Now, the fact that I have short legs might not seem like too bad of news to some but for me it does. This almost assures that the bike my co-worker offered to sell me is in fact too big for me, and grant it, no matter how good a deal he gives me on it, it's not gonna be worth a darn if it's not fit for my size. This just sucks because there's no way I can afford a $500 bike (2009 model)

When you guys search craiglist, do you just go to the bike section and start browsing? or do you search for a specific keyword?

I appreciate the info guys.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well, as I was typing that last response, the secretary came in and told me that the bike was in the main office. So giving it a good look over, I'd say its in good shape. Its a large frame but fits me like the one I rode yesterday???
    When you fit a bike, how much room are you supposed to have between the crossbar and privates?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    bout 1-2 inches between the gooch and the cross bar -- dont count the berries, cause they hang at diff levels

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    "bout 1-2 inches between the gooch and the cross bar -- dont count the berries, cause they hang at diff levels"

I gotta disagree. I have a Jamis with a low top tube and bottom bracket compared to a Gary Fisher I'm rebuilding; the top tube stand over is very different, even though they are very similar in size and fit.

My preference is is leg extension: when the seat is set right, you should be able to have your leg most of the way, but not all the way, extended. The length from the seat to the handlebars is preference, but you don't want to be too stretched out.

If it were me in my area 200-250 sounds about right for that bike, used with no local bike shop support. It sounds like something that could be ridden on the trails where I live (Lubbock). Of course, there are probably a lot more used bikes to choose from in Houston. But that isn't a whole lot of money to figure out if mountain biking is fun for you.

I say do it, if the bike fits.
    A warning: I only post when I've been drinking, unless it is during the day when I am distracted by more important things.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    SOB that's funny!
    I was gonna say gooch but didn't want to offend anyone.
    So basically, stand over the cross bar and lift the bike until you cant no more and that's the 1 or 2" space you're talking about...right?
    Quote Originally Posted by p0n3y
    bout 1-2 inches between the gooch and the cross bar -- dont count the berries, cause they hang at diff levels

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by crank feen
    SOB that's funny!
    I was gonna say gooch but didn't want to offend anyone.
    So basically, stand over the cross bar and lift the bike until you cant no more and that's the 1 or 2" space you're talking about...right?
    thats right. im no expert, im rather noobish actually, but thats what the local bike shop told me. im sure they know what there talking about.
    Im sure that diff bikes will have diff fram styles, but i would say 1-2 inches is a good rule of thumb for most bikes.
    if you come of the pedals, you want your feet to land before you gooch

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    "if you come of the pedals, you want your feet to land before you gooch"

A warning: I only post when I've been drinking, unless it is during the day when I am distracted by more important things.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    guess my legs are short.. im 6ft with shoes and got a L Giant RIncon and my gooch is right on the frame. The bike says for riders 5'10-6'1... when i come off the bike i come off on my tippy toes a lil.. not terrible but other than that i love my bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    thats true, ive seen it. crossbar is higher on his 09 rincon, is diff than on my 08 rincon. diff frame styles.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Update...
    I took the bike to the LBS and had them check it out and they said everything was fine and all it needed was some adjusting, so I'm definitley gonna buy it. And to top it off, he let me have it for $200.

I've enjoyed the bike the past few rides and my butt and hands are getting used to the pain.

i am, therefore, i ride
    Good deal ! All you need is a nice saddle and ergon grips to eliminate the pain and numbness. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    which saddle do you recommend?
    Ergon grips???

i am, therefore, i ride
    Ask your LBS to demo one. As far as I see it, there are only 3 parts of your body that touches the bike and I don't take any shortcuts on them: grips, saddle and pedals.

All are a matter of personal preference. Ask 10 people and you will get 10 different opinions. What works for me is Ergon Grips:

http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/grips/i...droctv3ajdo1f5

and personally use the GC2. Got rid of pain and numbness and I highly recommend it. Now, saddle and pedals..... that's a different story. Again, ask your LBS for a demo to try out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks. Will do

Members who have read this thread: 0