New guy from Fort Worth- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

New guy from Fort Worth

Just got into the adventure. Riding a GT Avalanche.
    First experience was Samson Park, that didn't last long.
    I have been riding a good bit at River Legacy, any other beginner-intermediate places I should check out?

mtbr member
    Welcome to the adventure! Check out this mapto see what's around you (gives difficulty levels). Also, check out the FWMBA site and their forum to maybe link up with someone in the area. Gateway Park is in another in your neck of the woods that is very beginner-friendly (but still very fun), then of course Dallas offers plenty more.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Gateway park is a very good beginer trail, but keep your eyes on the trail, trust me you don't want to see anything that's going on out there in the woods.

Also checkout Cedar Hill State Park, and LB Houston, both good beginner trails.

mtbr member
    How are you liking your Avalanche?
    I was considering getting one for my first bike and I also live in the fort worth area.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    If you are staying in that price range, it is the best bang for your buck and it is not a disappointment at all. After the first 50 miles or so, after a re-tune the bike shifts really well, the brakes have good stopping power and I have no realistic complaints for the product I got.

mtbr member
    Sansom is, for my money, the hardest trail in DFW. at least aerobically speaking. check out Northshore. its alot of fun and not as technical or difficult as Sansom, but its definitely a step up from River LEgacy or Gateway

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Drive to Cleburne S.P. and ride the inner loop. Take the outer loop if you want more climbing and a bit more tech,

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    check out cedar hill state park and oak cliff nature preserve. dino valley is also hella fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    Sansom is, for my money, the hardest trail in DFW. at least aerobically speaking. check out Northshore. its alot of fun and not as technical or difficult as Sansom, but its definitely a step up from River LEgacy or Gateway
    Have you tried Big Cedar lately? Shadow has built that place up, definitely harder than Sansom IMO when it comes to cardio, but technically Sansom is more difficult.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilonpill View Post
    Have you tried Big Cedar lately? Shadow has built that place up, definitely harder than Sansom IMO when it comes to cardio, but technically Sansom is more difficult.
    i rode Big Cedar when it first opened but havent been back since. I had no idea where I was going. ive heard its alot of fun, but insane cardio without many technical features.... not exactly my cup of tea.

I moved to Austin a few months back, so I probably wont ever ride Sansom or BC ever again.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Have you checked out Revielle Peak Ranch Sooner? So cool!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keithrad View Post
    Have you checked out Revielle Peak Ranch Sooner? So cool!
    nope, havent ever heard of it. looks to be about an 1:15 away from me. Not too bad. Maybe in the fall when its cooler, Ill check it out. Hows the riding out there? Technical? Rocky? Smooth? Lots of climbing?

I hit Reimer's Ranch on Sunday and it was alot of fun, although it was unbelievably hot. Decent amount of climbing, but nothing too bad, with alot of fun spots.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sansom Park is tougher than average but if you stay off the red trails you should do fine, even as a beginner. As mentioned, Cedar Hill St Park and Gateway are both good rides nearby.

I ride Sansom regularly so shoot me a PM if you ever want to meet up out there.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    nope, havent ever heard of it. looks to be about an 1:15 away from me. Not too bad. Maybe in the fall when its cooler, Ill check it out. Hows the riding out there? Technical? Rocky? Smooth? Lots of climbing?

I've only been there once as it's a 3 hour drive, but absolutely worth it. Very technical, lots of rocks The upper loop area is almost Moab-esque ( seriously ) just riding on a huge rock slab with lots of tech manuevers to navigate. They have a super d course which I had to bypass because it was getting dark ( main reason I heard of the place to begin with ) We'll be back this fall for sure, just waiting for cooler temps.

I hit Reimer's Ranch on Sunday and it was alot of fun, although it was unbelievably hot. Decent amount of climbing, but nothing too bad, with alot of fun spots.
    Hows the terrain there. I've heard it is pretty cool out there!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keithrad View Post
    Hows the terrain there. I've heard it is pretty cool out there!
    its pretty rocky with alot of fun challenging spots. I didnt see many spots that couldnt be cleaned. lots of fun ledges too. I probably hit bigger ledges than my 4 inch travel Superlight was designed for.

also, there is very little shade. most of the ride is out in the sun. the shaded parts are not shaded for long. I went thru 100 ounces of water in a 2 hour ride and drank a bunch more when I got to the car.