• 08-02-2010
    ccard257
    New to Ft. Worth - tire and trail recs needed
    I'm moving to Ft. Worth at the end of the month. I'm in need of some new rubber so I thought I'd see what everyone likes down there. Typical 5-inch trail type bike, currently running 2.4 WTB Mutanos.

I'm also looking for somewhere to ride after work. What are the best options coming from downtown?

Thanks
  • 08-02-2010
    clewttu
    good map
    http://www.mountainbiketx.com/google/index.php
    FW
    www.fwmba.org
    Dallas
    http://www.dorba2.com

lotta people run nevegals, but im not a fan...personally running 2.4 UST Nobby Nics on my 5", but they are nobbier than a lot of what i see... crossmarks and sb8's are popular on the rear for some
  • 08-02-2010
    RecklessKelli
    Welcome to Funkytown! Those sites listed by clewttu are solid and will show you where all the local rides are. If you want a challening trail, Sansom Park should give you one.
  • 08-02-2010
    sooner518
    I run a 2.35 Nevegal in front and a 2.1 Small BLock 8 in the back of my Superlight. Not sure what tires most people run, but the trails here are dry, hard and dusty for the most part. Not alot of rocks, but there are some rocks at times.

5 inches of travel is more than enough for the DFW trails. I have 4 inches of travel front and back and I probably have more travel than 90% of riders around here, many whom ride hardtails and rigids. weirdos :D

Your best bet for trails are:
    Sansom Park - closest to downtown and one of the most challenging trails in the area. Not super technical, but it has alot of climbing. Just take I-30 west to 820 North until you get to 199. Avoid I-35 like the plague, especially at rush hour.

Northshore - this will take you a good 30-45 minutes to get to, but IMO, its the most fun ride in DFW. You basically have to I-35 to get to this one, so go either before rush hour on I-35 (anytime after 3:30 and you're screwed) or after maybe 7. This is a very flowy trail (the east side is anyways) with some moderate technical (more tech stuff is on the west side of the trail) and if you do the whole loop, its about 20 miles. Most people park in the middle (at the MADD shelter) and do the east side.

Shoot me a PM if you want me to show you around sometime. I try and get out 3-4 times a week although this disgusting weather along with a nasty case of poison ivy have got me taking it easy the last 2 weeks.
  • 08-02-2010
    J3SSEB
    Small Block 8's usually do it. They have plenty of bite for the loose stuff around here. Currently running the WTB Exiwolfs that came stock on my Monocog and those are plenty good for me.
  • 08-04-2010
    ccard257
    Thanks for the recs, guys. Sooner, I'll probably take you up on that offer. I should be moved in and ready to get out and ride around the first week of September, so I'll shoot you a PM around then.
  • 08-05-2010
    sooner518
    where are you moving from? and are you living downtown FW as well?
  • 08-05-2010
    ccard257
    Moving from Denver. We'll be about 10 minutes outside of downtown. I don't have the city figured out well enough to know where yet though. I think we'll be south of downtown but I wouldn't swear to that.
  • 08-05-2010
    sooner518
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ccard257
    Moving from Denver. We'll be about 10 minutes outside of downtown. I don't have the city figured out well enough to know where yet though. I think we'll be south of downtown but I wouldn't swear to that.

I made the same move about 2 years ago. Lived in Denver for 4 years and loved it. Moved here in Jan of 2009. Dont expect the same quality of trails or weather. Alot less climbing and alot less rocks.

Colorado > Texas
  • 08-25-2010
    rjg5
    You'll be pretty close to Knob Hill as well. Just off 377 about 25-30 min NE of Ft Worth. Nice out and back on the west side of lake grapevine.
    I had some Maxxis high roller 2.35 but found them a little slow (gripped great thought) Used to use Panaracer Fire XC 2.1 and am going back to them. Roll faster and have grip.
  • 08-28-2010
    dubdryver
    I have mostly rode Cleburne and Cameron park down in Waco, but I don't think you will need 2.4s here, maybe 2.2s. Nevagals work great with the rocks, they are very durable, worth having for a front tire, but they are pretty heavy rubber especially in the UST. Small Block 8s are awesome for the rear, but they aren't very durable, and they don't last long (very soft rubber) If you are looking for something with great grip and durability. I have ran the Maxxis Ignitor for the front, and Crossmark for the rear. These tires hook up pretty well in everything. I currently live in Miami, FL. but parents live in Ft. Worth, and originally from Upper Michigan, and I have not had a problem with that setup on any of the different terrains, very versitile. Continental Race Kings work well for the rear too along with a Trail King front, and probably superior when it is wet...which is very occasional if North Texas, but overall, I like the Ignitor/Crossmark setup best for that.
  • 08-28-2010
    jakef
    Solavaca and dino state park are my two local trails and love them both. I keep going back to the wtb velociraptors. The small block 8's I thought were terrible out there, they were great on the hard pan but getting into the loose gravel and rock was no good.
  • 09-29-2010
    quelocotony
    Nevegal in front and a 2.1 Small BLock 8
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sooner518
    I run a 2.35 Nevegal in front and a 2.1 Small BLock 8 in the back of my Superlight.

@Sooner518. I ride Northshore often and been planning to give the Navegal/SB8 a try. Are you running yours tubeless? How do you like your set-up?
  • 09-29-2010
    tussery
    I know my tire recs. mean nothing as I ride in the Houston and San Antonio area but I recently went from a 2.35F/2.10R Nevegal combo to 2.4 Conti MK front and 2.2 Conti RK rear in Supersonic with the Black Chili compound and must say I enjoy these things. They grip rocks like velcro even with wet mud on them and have less rolling resistance than the Nevegals.