New to the board (lubbock)- Mtbr.com

Jun 2008

New to the board (lubbock)

I just got signed up on the message boards. I am ready to ride pretty much any afternoon and am trying to get involved in the community.

College Boy
    Are you a student a Texas Tech?

Jun 2008
    yea

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    Whaddaya ride and do you know the area pretty well?

College Boy
    I would say hook up with the tech cycling club. Great bunch of people who love to ride.

I do miss MLK trails in Lubbock I enjoyed riding before I graduated at Christmas

Jun 2008
    I recently went to Mae Simmons and it was alot of fun, however real sandy in some spots. I just bought a Jamis Durango 2.0 and like it so far. I plan on jumping on one of those Outdoor Pursuits rides that the school puts on at Palo Duro in the fall ive heard it is a good time for a cheap price.

Jun 2008
    I suffered my first flat from a cactus yesterday. Does anyone have any tire suggestions for the rocks, sand, and hardpack?

College Boy
    Something me and many other rides learned about the trails in lubbock. Slime tubes are your friend.

You will run over quite a few thorns on those trails.

Ride, Sleep, Work
    Give Clinton @ Broadway Bikes a call. He can get you setup with the proper tubes and slime you need to survive the Texas panhandle.
    Click to save 15% off your 1st Hammer nutrition order
    http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/50110

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm also at tech. Is there anything around that you can shuttle and downhill? I hate peddling my stinky.

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    Haha... You haven't noticed the big hills around here?

I've heard rumors of a decent DH up in Palo Duro occasionally, but I don't know that it's something that can be shuttled or not. Some of the guys on the team I ride for live up in that area and they know more about it. I'll post if I ever hear anything on that.

The Stinky's are fun for urban stuff if you're interested, and there are a few places that look like they could be interesting out at the MLK area.

TLF

Jul 2008
    I also live in the LBK. really only get to ride on sunday/monday (i ride both days). My buddy and I that hit up the trails are always up for others to join us. Shoot me an email and come join us. (we dont ride to race, trying to get to be a more advanced rider. we just go and have fun.)

email: t h e l o n g f e l l o w @ g m a i l . c o m
    take out the spaces......... =)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hey why wait till this fall. I live in amarillo, shoot me a pm and let me know when you can make it to palo duro and I will show you around. Yes there is a downhill course but you really have to look for it. It is the road less traveled (not for everyone). I ride it occasionally on a dh bike but you have to hike to the top. Takes about 30 minutes all the way up and just depends on how good of a rider you are on your time down. I would recommend at least 6" X 6" bike for an avid rider. But I have seen guys take hardtails down it, but really slow. I ride xc more than dh so if anyone wants to come down for a weekend let me know. Palo Duro is some of the best riding in texas.

Jun 2008
    That sounds great lonestar! ill try and make it this summer. Classes are wrapping up and im crunched for time so maybe in about 3 weeks. how far of a trip is it from Amarillo?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You dont have to go all the way to Amarillo. You drive down I-27 until you see the palo duro exit about 10-15 miles before you get to Amarillo. Let me know when that time gets closer and I will get you some better directions.

Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by seanzombie1336
    I'm also at tech. Is there anything around that you can shuttle and downhill? I hate peddling my stinky.

Downhill...in Lubbock? The best hills in Lubbock were moved to New Mexico!
    Just kidding...welcome to the board, seanzombie1336.

Mikey

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Here is a short vid of the palo duro dh. It is a small part of it taken a few years ago. It has changed a little. There are a couple of different ways to go down. One of the guys riding in it is also a member on here. Anyways just for a little reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iin0Y3hQvhg

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    hiking up 30 minutes with a 40 pound bike for a 3 minute downhill....

I miss CO and I havent even left yet.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider1201
    I suffered my first flat from a cactus yesterday. Does anyone have any tire suggestions for the rocks, sand, and hardpack?

go tubeless
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    go tubeless

What tire tread do you recommend?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider1201
    What tire tread do you recommend?

The maxxis larson, crossmark, and ignitor are the most popular tubless tires here. I personally like the specialized captain s-works and the fast trak slr s-works tire. My choice sacrifices side grip for reduced rolling resistance, where the maxxis tires mentioned are a do it all tire for this area.

Members who have read this thread: 0