New Bike for TMBRA- Mtbr.com
    Big Boy

New Bike for TMBRA

I am posting this new bike scenario here because you guys are the ones who know the courses on the tmbra circuit and what bike would best suit them. So, I just got a 575 about 3 months ago, and I realize that I dont need that much bike, and I want to start racing in the spring. So, as soon as I sell my 575 im getting an xc oriented bike. Im using the money i get from selling the 575 as my budget which will hopefully be around 2900.

My LBS sells scott and i will likely stick with that. So right now i have it narrowed down to four different options/scenarios.

1. Scale 29 Expert
    2. Scale 29 Elite plus a really nice wheelset (easton ea90xc)
    3. Spark 29 Elite
    4. Spark 29 team plus a really nice wheelset

So, I guess it comes down to, would a hardtail fit the bill or is FS better? And, is a better deal to get a lower spec with a great wheelset?

Another wrench to throw in...This will be my only bike, so I will be riding on all my local trails which are in austin and san antonio and get rocky, but plenty of people ride them on HT's.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!! :cornut:

mtbr member
    don't do it. that yeti is perfect if you wanna give yourself fun to ride everything besides an xc course. it's not too much bike at all. 3" of travel will go longer on investment and fun than 3" of wheel. be an original and rock that 575. Race it for a season. Hell ride it for a season at as many different places (if you can) to really enjoy it. Mountains! tech steeper stuff. Don't limit yourself to just fitness of xc when you've got a bike beggin for skills workouts!! my 2cents. you did say racing but you also said one bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Any of those bikes will work at the TMBRA races. If you're willing to pay the weight penalty, buy a 29r soft tail, but a hard tail will do unless you have back problems. If you look at the top riders in the open class, you'll see that they probably ride 29r hard tails or 26r soft tails. If you intend to race longer races (say 6 or 12 hour ones) a soft tail would make sense.

Big Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    Don't limit yourself to just fitness of xc when you've got a bike beggin for skills workouts!! .

Problem is I dont have the balls to ride the bike like its meant to be ridden. And....I have this problem where I have to constantly be drooling over and lusting after any bike other than the one I have. And the wife is convinced that we cant afford for me to buy every bike that I lust after. (Pugsley, tallboy, carbon scale)

You dont think the 575 is overkill for the Texas race circuit?

Big Damn Hero
    I raced a 35lb full suspension KHS last year in TMBRA and the GHORBA SS Series because I didn't know any better. It was my first year riding/racing. I recently built up a fully rigid Gary Fisher 1x7 bike and though it's a more physically demanding bike, it's incredible how much faster I am on that bike after just two rides on it.

The weight penalty for a full suspension bike isnt worth it for a 1-2 hour race in my opinion...

As mentioned earlier, if you're planning on doing some endurance races, then I'd stick with the Yeti.
    Orbea Alma
    Ritchey Road Logic
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Diamondback Haanjo
    Specialized Epic Marathon

mtbr member
    Whats your build like on the 575 and what are your racing goals? Be competitive in sport? place in expert or pro? Have fun and do the best you can?

The 575 can be built extremely competitive and is frankly far more fun the rest of the time than a dedicated race bike. It is a bike you can grow your skills with but still do well racing.

A race wheel set and tires will go a long way and might save some money for other upgrades.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05 View Post
    Problem is I dont have the balls to ride the bike like its meant to be ridden. And....I have this problem where I have to constantly be drooling over and lusting after any bike other than the one I have. And the wife is convinced that we cant afford for me to buy every bike that I lust after. (Pugsley, tallboy, carbon scale)

You dont think the 575 is overkill for the Texas race circuit?
    575 will artificially enhance your sack! haha

keeping the 575 will "forgive" you on mistakes as you build your skills up. hell, run flat pedals on it when you're not racing. probably 90% of the field can't bunny hop without being clipped in! It's not overkill at all. you'll lust after a bike like that yeti again if you sell it. guaranteed. skill is alot harder to attain than fitness. save your money and run what ya brung! you've got a very versatile rig that will teach you more than a dedicated 29er race bike ever will.

Big Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by string View Post
    Whats your build like on the 575 and what are your racing goals? Be competitive in sport? place in expert or pro? Have fun and do the best you can?

The 575 can be built extremely competitive and is frankly far more fun the rest of the time than a dedicated race bike. It is a bike you can grow your skills with but still do well racing.

A race wheel set and tires will go a long way and might save some money for other upgrades.
    Well, I have only raced once, and it was not a great experience. I was way overweight and out of shape and pushed myself way too hard.

Since then, I have lost about 20 pounds and have acquired a road bike so I can ride alot more. I have at least a 20 minute drive to any trailhead so I only hit the singletrack once or twice a week. Now with my road bike I can ride or train every day if I want. Helping alot with the weightloss, and I am getting faster.

My goal is to get down to 200# by February (currently 255) and be in good enough shape to place in the top ten in the beginners class possibly podium, and then move up to sport class and be competitive. If I get a new bike, its gonna be the one i have for at least a couple years so I want something that will be a solid bike as my fitness and race experience increase.

575 is currently set up as an AM machine. x7-x9 1x10 drivetrain with guide and bash. Slack HA and super plush. I am just thinking that a bike that is really efficient and 6 or 7 pounds lighter would be alot faster.

Big Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    run flat pedals on it when you're not racing.
    I have never even ridden flats believe it or not. Well...since i was about 10 yrs old. got back into mtn biking in 2009 and put egg beaters on my bike right off the bat. Flats feel funny now.

I guess I could just get some lighter wheels and tires and call it a race bike. Maybe add a little bit of pressure to the fork and shock, and throw that front mech back on. I think some easton havens will fit the bill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05 View Post
    I have never even ridden flats believe it or not. Well...since i was about 10 yrs old. got back into mtn biking in 2009 and put egg beaters on my bike right off the bat. Flats feel funny now.

I guess I could just get some lighter wheels and tires and call it a race bike. Maybe add a little bit of pressure to the fork and shock, and throw that front mech back on. I think some easton havens will fit the bill.
    there ya go! if that yeti has an rp23 with pro-pedal your set. It'd be cool if you had hi-lo compression settings on your fork too. That way you can dial in the low speed without giving up small bump stuff. You could even get it all PUSHed to really set it up for yourself.

clipped in is a must for xc racing but it's just another way to pedal. riding flats teaches you handling in regards to skills. It forces you to learn how to shift weight and pump on the bike. ride loose...like you're a kid again..cuz it's fun! Most xc racers train their fitness and NEVER work on skills. They mistake fitness for skill. good luck with your racing and don't forget to just ride, too!!

mtbr member
    Ha 200 for the 575 .... I
    I'm saving for the sb 66

mtbr member
    I would go with full suspension. Especially since you are just getting into racing and will be using it as your do everything bike. It gives you a little more versatility for the rest of the time when you are not racing and you should not loose much if anything in performance.

A hardtail can be faster on certain courses but so can a FS. Most of my dedicated hardtail racing buddies have been slowly coming over to full suspension over the past few years. You don't "need" it for a lot of Texas but it sure is nice to have.

If you really get into racing, you may ultimetly want a full suspension and a hardtail. (I know its not in the budget at the moment)

I would strongly recommend racing a full season before selling the Yeti and switching to a dedicated race bike. After riding the courses and finding where you fit in your bike requirements may change quickly.

There are some solid store brand hardtails out there (such as Sette from Pricepoint and motobecane) that lack the big brand name but are solid bikes for a lot less money if you opt to go this route.

You may be able to pick up a race day wheel set for the Yeti and some race tires and drop a few pounds. That would be an instant performance boost. Watch chainlove.com for deals...they have had a lot of 50-70% wheel deals lately.

Big Boy
    just put the front mech and the big and little chainrings back on the 575. Cant get over how cluttered the left side of the bar looks now. I might just start saving and race the 575 until i can afford a decent hardtail. then i would have a solid trail bike and a decent race bike. Been eyeballing those ebay carbon 29ers. prolly could get a decent build if I shop over fleabay and craigslist for a while.

mtbr member
    IMO you are on the right track.

Add some tires (I like Schwalbe Rocket Rons for Texas as a race tire 2.25 f 2.1 R) and you have the start of a race machine.

You will get used to the clutter.