New Bike Suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

We the people ... New Bike Suggestions

Hello, new on here. Wanted to ask opinions of new bike options under about 1,200.. I would like a softail but not the end all if not. I don't do a lot of mountain biking but would like to get more involved in it. I have ridden bikes, bmx, mtn bikes for years so I am not completely an idiot on the subject, but there is just a ton out there to choose from. I currently ride a Voodoo hard tail, old school. Any opinions are much appreciated!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    My budget was a little less than yours and I was in the market for a hardtail, so I ended up with the Airborne Seeker. Not sure if this is the norm but at the time they had free shipping and no tax so I jumped on it. It has been a fantastic bike and I recommend Airborne to anyone in the market.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    thank you! Will def check it out. I am like a weekend warrior with mine, thats about it.

mtbr member
    If you are getting something from a local bike shop, this giant bike is good for the price. Online stores will always be cheaper, but you are the mechanical. All my bikes are from online, and I enjoy turning a wrench, so it works for me.

Stance 27.5 2 (2015) | Giant Bicycles | United States

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    that is sick man! I like it! the price seems to be good as well. I am going to a local shop tomorrow but will hunt online as well to see. and yeah, i dont mind turning a wrench either so that would be ok. plus need to learn about all these new bells and whistles.

thanks for the reply!

mtbr member
    If you don't have to have a big name brand such as cannondale, specialized, trek, giant, Scott etc...

Check out Jamis or KHS they seem to offer the biggest bang for your buck in the price range your looking at.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks! These give me some good starting options

mtbr member
    There are several good bikes in that price range. Most of them are hardballs tho. My advice is to pay close attention to the frame. Be sure you are getting things like a tapered head, good BB, even a 12mm rear axle these days. These things will allow you to upgrade as wanted/needed in the future.
    When I got back into riding, I made the mistake of grabbing up the first bike that felt right and was in my price range. Before long things were needing replacement/upgrading and I was way to limited by my frame to really do much. Ended up getting another bike.