New to Austin - single speed- Mtbr.com
    master lurker

New to Austin - single speed

Howdy,

Just moved down to Austin from Colorado and wanted to say hi. My bikes took a little longer to get here then planned, so I've only ridden a couple of times (Barton Greenbelt and Muleshoe) but so far so good. I mostly enjoy the single speed life and Austin seems like a good area to keep that up.

Curious what gear you SS'rs are pushing around here. I'm riding a 29er and my 32x19 that helped get me around the mountains is definitely a bit too easy around here.

Here's a pic of my (main) ride:

Hope to see you on the trails.
    ghost.97

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    You should get in touch with sherpaxc, he's our resident SS guy... check out the bike mojo forums, there is a singlespeeders ride on tuesday nights starting at 6pm but I think it may have been moved to mondays for a little while.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by lost27
    You should get in touch with sherpaxc, he's our resident SS guy... check out the bike mojo forums, there is a singlespeeders ride on tuesday nights starting at 6pm but I think it may have been moved to mondays for a little while.
    http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/showthread.php?t=71271
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

fwd... that's how I roll

SS rides in ATX

Quote Originally Posted by ghost.97
    Hope to see you on the trails.
    ghost.97
    ... I'll be riding the back trails of BCGB w/ sherpaxc this Sunday (16th), drop me a line if you'd like to join us ... [email protected]

have a good one - jason

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by hakalugi
    ... I'll be riding the back trails of BCGB w/ sherpaxc this Sunday (16th), drop me a line if you'd like to join us ... [email protected]

have a good one - jason
    where you guys gonna meet up and what time you gonna put wheels down?
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    32/16

fwd... that's how I roll
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    where you guys gonna meet up and what time you gonna put wheels down?
    sorry i missed your tread monogod ... i ride from my house (south Austin) to BCGB every Sunday around 8-9am. drop me an email ([email protected]) if you want to join us sometime ... a lot of times i'll meet up w/ Austinbike's rides out @ BCGB ... but i start from my house. have a good one - Jason

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hey Ghost91, someone told me to chime in. You are more than welcome to join us on any ride. Mondays has turned in to a come one come all but it's mainly made up of SS riders. It's a good mellow ride but we hit some good and technical trail. I can see why a 32x19 would be easy on the trails you've been riding. I would say keep that gear on there or throw a 20 on when you ride with us. There are some steep hills we hit, technical and steep, that make the 19 or 20 very usuable. Welcome to Austin, it's a great place to ride. Nice bike BTW! Feel free to PM me on Mojo as I rarely scroll down to these forums.

mtbr member
    Welcome to Austin! Trust me, there are plenty of ss'ers in town, me included. Generally, a 32/16 setup is adequate (some of the trickier uphillish trails like some of those found at Walnut Creek and definitely at City Park might require a 32/20). That said, 32/16 is fine for me. If something's too steep there's no harm in walking it. Austin Ridge Riders does a 1:30pm ride every Sunday at Walnut Creek Park in North Austin if you'd like to swing by and ride with us. They usually break into 3 groups; slow, intermediate, and fast rides. Very friendly group and several singlespeeders. Tasty beer and tacos can be had afterwards. We'd love to have you along!

Members who have read this thread: 0