• 11-05-2008
    ghost.97
    New to Austin - single speed
    Howdy,

Just moved down to Austin from Colorado and wanted to say hi. My bikes took a little longer to get here then planned, so I've only ridden a couple of times (Barton Greenbelt and Muleshoe) but so far so good. I mostly enjoy the single speed life and Austin seems like a good area to keep that up.

Curious what gear you SS'rs are pushing around here. I'm riding a 29er and my 32x19 that helped get me around the mountains is definitely a bit too easy around here.

Here's a pic of my (main) ride:

Hope to see you on the trails.
    ghost.97
  • 11-05-2008
    lost27
    You should get in touch with sherpaxc, he's our resident SS guy... check out the bike mojo forums, there is a singlespeeders ride on tuesday nights starting at 6pm but I think it may have been moved to mondays for a little while.
  • 11-05-2008
    BikeMojo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lost27
    You should get in touch with sherpaxc, he's our resident SS guy... check out the bike mojo forums, there is a singlespeeders ride on tuesday nights starting at 6pm but I think it may have been moved to mondays for a little while.

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/showthread.php?t=71271
  • 11-11-2008
    hakalugi
    SS rides in ATX
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost.97
    Hope to see you on the trails.
    ghost.97

... I'll be riding the back trails of BCGB w/ sherpaxc this Sunday (16th), drop me a line if you'd like to join us ... [email protected]

have a good one - jason
  • 11-15-2008
    monogod
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hakalugi
    ... I'll be riding the back trails of BCGB w/ sherpaxc this Sunday (16th), drop me a line if you'd like to join us ... [email protected]

have a good one - jason

where you guys gonna meet up and what time you gonna put wheels down?
  • 11-15-2008
    crazy Jim
    32/16
  • 11-17-2008
    hakalugi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monogod
    where you guys gonna meet up and what time you gonna put wheels down?

sorry i missed your tread monogod ... i ride from my house (south Austin) to BCGB every Sunday around 8-9am. drop me an email ([email protected]) if you want to join us sometime ... a lot of times i'll meet up w/ Austinbike's rides out @ BCGB ... but i start from my house. have a good one - Jason
  • 11-20-2008
    sherpaxc
    Hey Ghost91, someone told me to chime in. You are more than welcome to join us on any ride. Mondays has turned in to a come one come all but it's mainly made up of SS riders. It's a good mellow ride but we hit some good and technical trail. I can see why a 32x19 would be easy on the trails you've been riding. I would say keep that gear on there or throw a 20 on when you ride with us. There are some steep hills we hit, technical and steep, that make the 19 or 20 very usuable. Welcome to Austin, it's a great place to ride. Nice bike BTW! Feel free to PM me on Mojo as I rarely scroll down to these forums.
  • 01-01-2009
    stinkymutt
    Welcome to Austin! Trust me, there are plenty of ss'ers in town, me included. Generally, a 32/16 setup is adequate (some of the trickier uphillish trails like some of those found at Walnut Creek and definitely at City Park might require a 32/20). That said, 32/16 is fine for me. If something's too steep there's no harm in walking it. Austin Ridge Riders does a 1:30pm ride every Sunday at Walnut Creek Park in North Austin if you'd like to swing by and ride with us. They usually break into 3 groups; slow, intermediate, and fast rides. Very friendly group and several singlespeeders. Tasty beer and tacos can be had afterwards. We'd love to have you along!