Neighborhoods in Austin?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Neighborhoods in Austin?

Hi,

Ok, so I'm thinking about making the move to Austin. I've been there once - very cool place (but didn't get to ride at that time). I'm trying to get a feel for costs of rent and/or potential home/condo purchase prices, but obviously those depend on where you're looking. So can anyone give me some heads-up as to what areas/neighborhoods I should check out based on the following criteria:

1. I'm a single guy so I think I'd like to be some-what close to downtown (if not in downtown) - or at least close to somewhere with decent shops, restaurants, things to do, etc.
    2. I'd like to be somewhat close to good mountain biking.
    3. I like outdoor activities in general, if that makes any difference.
    4. My budget would probably be around $600-$900/mo. for rent or around $100k-$120k for purchase. (1 or 2 BR house or condo)
    5. I like trees.

Any advice?

Thanks!
    Greg

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Well, living south of the river will get you close to the greenbelt, downtown and restaurants.

There are a lot of places that would probably fit your bill, you may want to post up on the austin forum of bike mojo:

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/forumd...?s=&forumid=14

Dawn on that forum is a mortgage broker and might be able to hook you up with someone who can be of more help.

Austin is a very outdoor city and you will probably enjoy being here. I live in central austin and can get just about anywhere in less than 15 minutes.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    There are several apartments and duplexes along Mopac (loop 1) from 71 to the river, and in Barton Hills, a neighborhood on the west side of Lamar in that same area. Pretty easy greenbelt access around there. Also tons of apartments on the south side of the river from Mopac to Pleasant valley on the east side that have quick access to the hike&bike trail along the river.

East Austin is generally cheaper but you have a better chance of somebody ripping off your gear. Still not that bad...I lived in an apartment off Oltorf for about 5 years and only had my car broken into once.

Members who have read this thread: 0