Needing some dirt- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Needing some dirt

My employer relocated me to SA from Salt Lake and I found a nice little house in Seguin. I am all moved an and been riding the road a bit but would love to find some good old fashion single track to get me and my bike all dusty on. Is there anything close to Seguin for the routine dirt fix (you know the daily grind type thing)? Not too concerned about skill level I can ride anything just looing for aomething close. I would also like to find something of a challanging trail for when I get a weekend and can go see some of the more interesting locations. I also need to find a good LBS any suggestions are welcome.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I know SA has some good single track trails, but I can't think of any near you. Rocky Hill Ranch might be a good weekend destination for you.

You might want to ask on the Raspa Forum on BikeMojo.com

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/forumdisplay.php?7-RasPa

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    thanks for the info I will check it out

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    My web site has lots of data. there are regular groups coming up to austin on a regular basis from SA.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I knew the riding in TX was going to be a big step down compared to where I moved from but I really had no idea just how disappointing it was going to be. I ended up in a place where it is a couple hour commute (round trip) for any trail and even further to something half decent. My daily dirt fixes are just a memory. With long commutes to any trail and my hate for grinding asphalt I guess its time to retire the cleats. I will miss it for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    So you gave it a week...what did you find?
    Did you hit the trails in San Antonio (gov't canyon?) San Marcos Purgatory? Austin has a helluva lot of good trail, albeit an hour+ away.

Sucks that you aren't happy...If I were you, I'd find a nice unoccupied hillside and start with a rake and a saw...
    And if you are ready to give up that easily, then maybe mtb isn't for you
    Last edited by CharacterZero; 07-18-2011 at 11:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    You're not far from San Marcos....check out Purgatory.

mtbr member
    he's a short drive up 46 from seguin to New Braunfels and over to canyon lake. check out the madrone trail at canyon park. 8-10 mi loop of rocky techy goodness and decent burgers at the marina after you've had a ride & a swim. Canyon Park is about 12-15 west of I-35 on FM 306 on the north side of New Braunfels.

In SA check out O.P. Schnabel, or Government Canyon SNA.

About 45 min north of SA on I-10 is Flat Rock Ranch in Comfort. 25+ mi of singletrack on a cattle ranch with nice wide open views from the hilltops.

All great rides within approx 60 min of Seguin or S.A.

mtbr member
    Mostly good suggestions above, but...

Simply put, you can check out this map to see what legit, worthwhile trails are in your area (as opposed to trying to figure out where various places are located 1 at a time). Unfortunately, we don't show much in the immediate area. You can then check out the respective trail listing for every place we have on the map, though.

As for LBS', you can see here where most everyone of them are located. If you have any questions about a particular one, let us know. As for bike shops in SA, I've personally never had an issue with any of them and have stepped foot in everyone...some may tend to be a touch snobby, but never any problems. I almost always hit up Cycle Logic (10% disc) or Ride Away (off Redland & 1604).

So, are you in fact working in SA? If so, you have plenty of options for after-work rides: MacAllister, Gov't Canyon (on Fridays), OP, and a few others.

If you still have questions, ask away: here or the bikemojo link posted by chardog.

Welcome to TX!
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks , I know there some good rides for the occasional treat but I am afraid my daily rides are a thing of the past. I was spoiled and had trails at my finger tips for my enjoyment. Now I will need a lot more time and resources to get a ride in. I guess I need to pick up running again (still not fun without trails) for my main stay and use the bike for some cross training instead of the other way around. Sure am missing my daily fix though