Need ride suggestions for West Texas- Mtbr.com

Oct 2006

Need ride suggestions for West Texas

I want to celebrate my upcoming birthday (late February) with a trip out to West Texas to ride some trails.

I need practical suggestions from folks about best place to visit (Big Bend, Terlingua, etc.), best places to stay (hotel, RV camp, etc.) and best trails to go on.

* Particulars:
    my small group (4-5) will most likely be a combination of beginner and intermediate riders,
    mountain bikes (no thin tires - nothing against them though),
    I have a volunteer to sag the daily rides but in a two wheel drive vehicle,
    I want something more than tent camping (travel trailer, hotel?)
    I'd like to do several half day trips on the MTB with enough energy at night to sample the local agave distillations.

So... if any of you have experience putting together a similar trip, I'd appreciate your input. I'm trying to stay away from the formal tour operators due to cost considerations. But, give me your impression on any that you feel are paramount to success for such a trip.

Cheers, Bill

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelman57
    I want to celebrate my upcoming birthday (late February) with a trip out to West Texas to ride some trails.

I need practical suggestions from folks about best place to visit (Big Bend, Terlingua, etc.), best places to stay (hotel, RV camp, etc.) and best trails to go on.

* Particulars:
    my small group (4-5) will most likely be a combination of beginner and intermediate riders,
    mountain bikes (no thin tires - nothing against them though),
    I have a volunteer to sag the daily rides but in a two wheel drive vehicle,
    I want something more than tent camping (travel trailer, hotel?)
    I'd like to do several half day trips on the MTB with enough energy at night to sample the local agave distillations.

So... if any of you have experience putting together a similar trip, I'd appreciate your input. I'm trying to stay away from the formal tour operators due to cost considerations. But, give me your impression on any that you feel are paramount to success for such a trip.

Cheers, Bill

Move your trip up a week for one stop shopping....

Mas O Menos Feb 15-17th, Terlingua.

http://www.desertsportstx.com/events.html

Even if you are not into racing, it is a fun event. Organized un rides during the day, and increadible night riding.

If not, the folks at Desert Sports could give you the hook up on the local trail systems. The Lajitas Trail system is good for beginner/intermediate riders.

As for places to stay, they have a list on their website. I have stayed at the Big Bend Motor Inn, and it is just that, a motel.

Watering holes, La Kiva is not to be missed.

And lastly, my suggestion is big tires and run sealant. Leave your Hutchinson tires at home.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Why don't you take the trip to N. NM?

Oct 2006
    I would love to go the the Mas O Menos, yet my schedule is not permitting it.

So the Desert Sports folks are willing to give out info without being the the tour operators?

I haven't tried them yet but their web info seems good. I was just trying to save money and do some 1/2 or 3/4 day rides.

Thank you for the other tips also.

As to New Mexico, what was in mind? I'm really pushing the schedule to be driving 8+ hours, NM would be closer to 12 or 13, hours, right?

Got Mojo?

So the Desert Sports folks are willing to give out info without being the the tour operators?

I haven't tried them yet but their web info seems good. I was just trying to save money and do some 1/2 or 3/4 day rides.

They are the local bike shop, as well as outfitters. They will give you all the 411 on the local trails. They have maps, and are more than willing to give directions to the trailhead.

Stop in, say hi. Pick up something you may have forgotten at home. Support the local business. Ask them when they are riding... perhaps your schedules will coordinate. Mike and Crystal (and others) are good folks, and real fun to ride with. I have ridden with them several times.

And they are the folks who are largely responsible for the Lajitas trails and the Contibando in Big Bend Ranch State Park.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

hi..

aLaN has given you very sound advice. I would def go for a motel over camping. Brrr it was cold the last day of this year's Mas O Menos. I will heartily and highly recommend the Chisos Mining Co Motel. Down the hwy there is a simple store/cafe--might be at that motor inn bikemojo mentioned--the food is pretty cheap compared to some of the pricier stuff around---the spicy breakfsat burritoes are ON!!! Also be sure to take the drive on up to Lajitas Resort--there is a restaurant I went to on the resort of which I cannot remember the name that served up some interesting soups and sandsiches among other semi-fancy fare.

as far as NM if you could get there say the last several days of June you will find the UCI MTB World Cup is arriving to Angel Fire Resort. I attended a UCI MTB World Cup in St Wendel, Germany and can tell you it is Kewl. And back then you could meet riders like Frishie, Pezzo, and Caroline Alexander.

whenever in Feb you end up in the terlingua/Lajitas area, you are going to have an epic time!!

As to New Mexico, what was in mind? I'm really pushing the schedule to be driving 8+ hours, NM would be closer to 12 or 13, hours, right?

Oct 2006
    Thank you for all the responses.

I'll do some more checking out of resources. It looks as if the trip may be postponed until April or May!

Cheers

Got Mojo?
    Thank you for all the responses.

I'll do some more checking out of resources. It looks as if the trip may be postponed until April or May!

Cheers
    Take lottsa water, and ride early.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    I also suggest The Lajitas Trail system, they had free trail maps at Desert Sports in Terlingua last time I was there. Very nice people, I rented a Kona bike for $25 a day, it comes with a helmed, a free spare tube and 2 bidons which you also may keep. .
    We went for thanksgiving to the Big Bend and stayed in the Big Bend Motor Inn in Study Butte. A decent place with everything you need for a mountainbike-trip.
    I have pictures from this trip on my website, check out "Big Bend Mountainbiking" on:
    www.bardopauwels.com
    There is also a pic of the Big Bend Motor Inn, just to give you an idea: http://www.bardopauwels.com/Rio.Gran...0Grande.2.html

Let me know how it was, I am moving to Dallas and as soon as I am back in Texas I am planning another trip to the Big Bend!

Have fun!

TNC
    noMAD man
    Txholland, some nice scenery pics there...I have always loved the Big Bend area. There doesn't appear to be much in the way of technical trail in the pics. Are there any trails there with more features of interest and challenging terrain?

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

awesome

awesome pics there. what more could one want--nice desert ridin, unique restaurants, colorful landscapes, and a beautiful woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Txholland
    I also suggest The Lajitas Trail system, they had free trail maps at Desert Sports in Terlingua last time I was there. Very nice people, I rented a Kona bike for $25 a day, it comes with a helmed, a free spare tube and 2 bidons which you also may keep. .
    We went for thanksgiving to the Big Bend and stayed in the Big Bend Motor Inn in Study Butte. A decent place with everything you need for a mountainbike-trip.
    I have pictures from this trip on my website, check out "Big Bend Mountainbiking" on:
    www.bardopauwels.com
    There is also a pic of the Big Bend Motor Inn, just to give you an idea: http://www.bardopauwels.com/Rio.Gran...0Grande.2.html

Let me know how it was, I am moving to Dallas and as soon as I am back in Texas I am planning another trip to the Big Bend!

Have fun!

mtbr member
    TNC, the terrain looks a little bit flat and boring on the pics, I agree. However, It's not as flat as it seems like.. If you look at picture 6, 26 and 27, you see that there are also trails which are more hilly. I think most of the trails are not that technical in terms of curves etc.
    I still have the trail map of this area as jpeg-file, will try to post it here later!

Members who have read this thread: 0