Name 5--your home trails so to speak..- Mtbr.com
    govt kontrakt projkt mgr

Name 5--your home trails so to speak..

I thought it might be fun to list 5 trails that you've ridden the most frequently be it in Texas or elsewhere--"home" trails so to speak.

Here's my top 5:

Ft Hood Trailblazer's Park (BLORA)- hundreds of times
    Dana Peak- hundreds of times
    Rocky Hill Ranch
    Kualoa Ranch, Oahu, Hawaii
    Walnut Creek, Austin

Over 50 others between once and a dozen times.
    I don't have a history of my rides in Germany.
    I was sort of surprised to see I've been to Walnut Creek so much...but it is a quick hour or less drive.
    Cameron Park and Barton Creek just missed the cut.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Memorial Park
    Cypresswood
    The Anthills
    Double Lake
    dont really have a local fifth as all my AZ riding takes this spot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Boulder Park
    Northshore
    Oak Cliff Nature Preserve
    Solavaca
    Cedar Hill State Park
    Livin' the dream.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    In or near Houston:

Cypresswood
    Lake Bryan
    Bluff Creek Ranch
    Double Lake
    Memorial Park

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Dinosaur Valley
    Cleburne State Park
    Cameron Park
    Cedar Hill
    Tyler State Park

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    on Tyler. I wished I lived a whole lot closer; talk about a fun, flowy trail.

Quote Originally Posted by keithrad
    Dinosaur Valley
    Cleburne State Park
    Cameron Park
    Cedar Hill
    Tyler State Park

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm 2 1/2 hours away but still manage to get out there 3-4 times a year. I want to find some trails in the Austin area that are worth the 2 + hour drive. My wife and I rode Rocky Hill Ranch last August for the first time and enjoyed that, but I want something with a little more tech. that I know has to be out there in the hill country. Also, am planning a trip to Palo Duro Canyon early spring-ish. Which of your top 2 would you recommend ?

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    For slightly more tech than Rocky Hill, you need to hit a trail such as Reimer's Ranch out on Hamilton Pool Road. City Park (Emma) is technical too but I haven't been there.

Parts of the Greenbelt can be technical too. I suggest contacting AustinBike, a member here, who frequents the Greenbelt and its side trails with frequency.

You will enjoy Palo Duro a lot I think, and if you ever have a chance to make it to the Big Bend Area...(Lajitas/Terlingua).

I'm 2 1/2 hours away but still manage to get out there 3-4 times a year. I want to find some trails in the Austin area that are worth the 2 + hour drive. My wife and I rode Rocky Hill Ranch last August for the first time and enjoyed that, but I want something with a little more tech. that I know has to be out there in the hill country. Also, am planning a trip to Palo Duro Canyon early spring-ish. Which of your top 2 would you recommend ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Back trails at the GB

City Park Emma Long

RPR

And a few other unmentionables that few know

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks. I am aware of austinbike's site but have not visited in some while, I will revisit for some more ideas. Will also look into Reimer's ranch. Big Bend would be awesome, but seems like I read somewhere that most of the trails are jeep roads sadly. Have you been there? Tejasmtb, what is RPR? Anybody been out to Gov't Canyon in San Antonio...if so,how is that? BTW we just got hit with the winter blast, mainly frozen sleet where I live ( 30 miles south of the metroplex ) Yall get anything further south??

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Just a few bridges and overpasses slick early this morning. half inch precip in the rain gauge--appears all fell between 2 and 5 AM. Just bitter cold now. A few flurries during the day.

Big Bend does have a lot of jeep road, but you should check some of the threads on bikemojo about it. I've been to Lajitas and Terlingua and there is flowy, desert singletrack.

Thanks. I am aware of austinbike's site but have not visited in some while, I will revisit for some more ideas. Will also look into Reimer's ranch. Big Bend would be awesome, but seems like I read somewhere that most of the trails are jeep roads sadly. Have you been there? Tejasmtb, what is RPR? Anybody been out to Gov't Canyon in San Antonio...if so,how is that? BTW we just got hit with the winter blast, mainly frozen sleet where I live ( 30 miles south of the metroplex ) Yall get anything further south??

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    if your looking for something a little more technical I would definately reccomend Madrone out at Canyon lake, probably the best trail in the area.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Will do guggas. I just found out about RPR and that looks super promising. We'll have to thaw out around these parts before riding anytime soon. So I don't freeze my mc nuggets!!WOW...BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I live two miles from Tyler SP so that one gets the nod for my favorite. Faulkner park in south Tyler is also fun. I also really like Bar H ranch in ST. Joe and Warda ranch.

Todd

TXTony
    North Shore
    Johnsons Branch
    Dinosaur Valley
    Cedar Hill
    Isle Du Bois

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I really enjoyed Johnson Branch. The year I went for a race, I went the evening before and got to hang out a little with Ned Overend at Richardson's Bikemart.
    Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by TXTony
    North Shore
    Johnsons Branch
    Dinosaur Valley
    Cedar Hill
    Isle Du Bois

mtbr member
    I live on the north side of Houston. These are the trails I ride the most, in no particular order.

Double Lake
    Cypress Wood
    Jack Brooks
    SFA trails (Nacogdoches)
    Memorial Park

since 4/10/2009
    Here in TX are the trails I've visited more than once:

SFA Trails in Nac
    Tyler State Park
    Kit McConnico in Lufkin

once:

Piney Creek Horse Camp
    Hercules Trail at Cypress Bend outside Many, LA

Elsewhere:
    John Bryan State Park in Yellow Springs, OH (I built the first mile of trails here - I have a lot of sweat equity in these trails)
    William Burchfield Park outside Lansing, MI
    North Park in Pittsburgh, PA
    Caesar Creek northeast of Cincinnati, OH
    Town Run Trail Park in Indianapolis, IN

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    These are my favorite trails that I can hit up with a short drive from San Antonio.

Flat Rock Ranch
    Pace Bend
    Reimer's Ranch
    Rocky Hill Ranch
    Reveille Peak Ranch

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by keithrad View Post
    Big Bend would be awesome, but seems like I read somewhere that most of the trails are jeep roads sadly.
    Correct, but check out Big Bend Ranch State Park next door.
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...4501_0152l.pdf

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    First off....I'm new to this site. been lurking for a while! I live at Lake Mcqueeney so I ride Madrone at Canyon Lake alot and consider it my home trail. BUT, I work in Austin so I ride several of the trails in that area.
    I just started riding about a year ago but I am hooked. I ride a 2010 RockHopper comp 29er. Wanting to go FS soon though.

to answer your question her are mine:
    1. Madrone
    2. Mary Moore Searight in Austin
    3. Green Belt
    4. Slaughter Creek
    no #5
    I would like to hook up and ride Madrone with anyone interested. I'm off work on Sat, Sun, Mon

gunslinger
    My 5...

Utah:

Draper Corner Canyon
    Yellow Fork

Texas:

Jack Brooks
    Jack Brooks
    Jack Brooks

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by keithrad View Post
    Anybody been out to Gov't Canyon in San Antonio...if so,how is that?
    Gov't is just down the street from me so I'm there at least once a week it seems. The front country trails are easy, its a good trail to introduce beginners to mountain biking. There are two loops and they are about 7 to 8 miles total.
    The Back Country trails have a lot of rocky ups and downs. Much more climbing back here and the rocky descents can wear you out just as bad. In short I'm hesitant to recommend Gov't for anyone planning a road trip. I can't guarantee you will have fun out here without know what kind of riding you like. On the other hand, Flat Rock Ranch in Comfort is just ~ an hour away from San Antonio and I consider it a must-ride for this area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    I thought it might be fun to list 5 trails that you've ridden the most frequently be it in Texas or elsewhere--"home" trails so to speak.

Here's my top 5:

Ft Hood Trailblazer's Park (BLORA)- hundreds of times
    Dana Peak- hundreds of times
    Rocky Hill Ranch
    Kualoa Ranch, Oahu, Hawaii
    Walnut Creek, Austin

Over 50 others between once and a dozen times.
    I don't have a history of my rides in Germany.
    I was sort of surprised to see I've been to Walnut Creek so much...but it is a quick hour or less drive.
    Cameron Park and Barton Creek just missed the cut.
    Talk to me about Kualoa Ranch. I'll be in Oahu in January. I was wanting to rent DH bikes and tear it up. Are you better off with XC? What are my options there?

Thanks!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I've been away from Hawaii almost 6 years. Head over to Hawaii Bicycling League (I think Hawaii Bicycling League) --well scartch that--I see they have taken any mention of mtb off their site--so just head over to the HI section on this forum and you should be able to get the latest.

Kualoa was pretty exclusive while I was there only opening up for biking for special events (few handful of raceseach year)or if paying the BIG dollars to have a tour operator organize a special trip.

Legal XC trails on Oahu can be found in Aeia, Peacock Flats/Dillingham area (requires permit), Pupukea, Huluulua, Muanawili and a few others. Many poach Mililani. (I may have misspelled some names). Timberline Camp--unsure of current status.

DH had a great place on the North Shore that was already kaput when I was there. There used to be a place downtown called St Louis, and I think a newer place not very developed toward the western end (NNE of Ewa Beach area--never remember the names of those towns right there).

Quote Originally Posted by Pittzer View Post
    Talk to me about Kualoa Ranch. I'll be in Oahu in January. I was wanting to rent DH bikes and tear it up. Are you better off with XC? What are my options there?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    JP Brindly - flow
    Anthills
    Jack Brooks - when I want an a** kicking
    Riverbend in Sugar Land - in development
    Rowlett Creek in Dallas area

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fahkinae View Post
    Gov't is just down the street from me so I'm there at least once a week it seems. The front country trails are easy, its a good trail to introduce beginners to mountain biking. There are two loops and they are about 7 to 8 miles total.
    The Back Country trails have a lot of rocky ups and downs. Much more climbing back here and the rocky descents can wear you out just as bad. In short I'm hesitant to recommend Gov't for anyone planning a road trip. I can't guarantee you will have fun out here without know what kind of riding you like. On the other hand, Flat Rock Ranch in Comfort is just ~ an hour away from San Antonio and I consider it a must-ride for this area.
    I just got done with Gov't Canyon on saturday. The front country was a cakewalk. Almost thought the backcountry was too as we rode out on Joe Johnston trail. Then we turned the corner to take Sendero Balcones back........what a beach! It was extremely difficult in about 5 uphill areas, but it was the most fun I've ever had on the bike so far! I still need to check my bike to make sure it's in tact. I'm very surprised I didn't break anything major on those downhill blasts. Totally worth paying for that rollercoaster ride!

mtbr member
    Sansom Park
    Northshore
    Horseshoe
    Knob Hills
    River Legacy

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I live downtown Dallas, have only been riding trials for about a year and have a ton more to check out but here are my favs:

1. Oak Cliff nature preserve (you can take dart train here, get off @ westmorland)
    2. Cedar hill state park. Get a park map at the entrance, always nicely groomed with good berms to coast around
    3. LB houston, this trail gets overlooked alot but a great 6-7 mile beginner trail.
    4. Big Cedar for those that want to go BIG. definitely a more technical trail with some nice jumps
    5. Rowlett creek preserve. Beginners can ride about 14 miles of loops out here. Always a great time

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I live in Wichita Falls and just got back into riding. Today I rode the Wee-Chi-Tah trail. It was a good trail and I really enjoyed it but I was wondering if there are any other decent trails within an hour or so.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Maybe the Hills of Hell (AKA Miles of Hell) on Ft Sill and I think there used to be something out past Altus.

OKC also isn't too terribly far and boasts nu draper trail and perhaps more.

Quote Originally Posted by Creavis81 View Post
    I live in Wichita Falls and just got back into riding. Today I rode the Wee-Chi-Tah trail. It was a good trail and I really enjoyed it but I was wondering if there are any other decent trails within an hour or so.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    thnaks I plan on checking out the FT Sill/Wichita Mountain Trails. Also D/FW is only an hour and 45 away. I can go ride while the wife shops. Sounds good to me!!!

mtbr member
    Rules 1 and 2 of Fight Club prevent me from listing my top 3.

1. see rules 1 and 2 of Fight Club
    2. see rules 1 and 2 of Fight Club
    3. see rules 1 and 2 of Fight Club
    4. Barton Creek GB
    5. Mule Shoe

Once my shoulder and arm are healed up (Spring 2012) I plan to spend a lot of time at RPR, very impressed.

Members who have read this thread: 0