N.E. 2 Houston- Mtbr.com

Thread: N.E. 2 Houston

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

New question here. N.E. 2 Houston

I am looking to come down to visit my sister and do some riding with her. We will both have to rent a bike for two days. She has no experience in mountian biking so I'm looking for something that is beginner friendly but hopefully throw in some fun stuff for me to play on Here I ride the local favorites Fells and Lynn Woods, both technical single track. I need some local knowledge of where to rent a rig for my sister and I. Most importantly where to ride because I have no idea. We are both will to travel up to 4-5 hours outside the city, even a guided tour would be cool. Any suggestion would be most appreciated. Also, I'm not use to the heat so maybe something in the shade

Feb 2006
    You could always rent a ride from West End Bikes and hit Memorial Park. Last time I checked, the rentals were $35 per day, and it's about a 5-10 minute ride to Memorial Park, which offers plenty of shade and levels of riding for everyone.

West End Bikes:
    http://www.westendbikes.com/fsweall.html

Memorial Park links:
    http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail...lid=BGS082-041

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    If you're willing to travel, check out Bluff Creek Ranch in Warda or Bar H in St Jo.
    Warda is about 2 hours from Houston and Bar H is around 5 hours away. Both are marked well and have alternate routes around difficult sections for the less skilled rider.

If you want to stay closer, check out Jack Brooks Park south of Houston. It's better than Memorial Park and only 30 minutes from Houston.

Check the trail reviews page too. There are tons of trails in TX and a lot are 4 - 5 hrs from Houston.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I would like to try and demo a bike. I ride a mix of aggresive xc and free ride so I would like to get on a nice fully. any other suggestions other than already listed in this thread.

cheers,

Slower than you...
    My $0.02 -

In the Houston area, there's no better way to introduce a first-timer to the sport than Double Lake in Coldspring (1 hour NE of Houston on US59). Great beginner trail (8 mile loop), not at all technical - just sweet, twisty singletrack. If you're into flinging yourself off a perfectly good ledge, it won't be your cuppa tea - but I've found it makes a nice change of pace.

Slightly further out - in Bryan - head to Lake Bryan. Two 8-mile loops of immaculately maintained singletrack with some rootiness thrown in to keep you on your toes. Again, not a freeride paradise (are you sensing a theme here?), but makes for a nice two-part ride, since there's a handy ice house that pulls a mean pint of ZiegenBock right between the two loops.Word of warning, though: thorns on the west loop run rampant - take multiple spares.

If you're looking for gonzo freeride / dirt jump, head to the Anthills at Terry Hershey Park (south side of Buffalo Bayou, between Eldridge & Wilcrest). 6-1/2 miles each way, with a stunning array of jumps / drops / crazy crap just east of Wilcrest. This is, however, NOT a beginner trail.

Have a good ride...

tdh

Members who have read this thread: 0