My first trip to Flatrock Ranch ( Comfort ) tomorrow !- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

My first trip to Flatrock Ranch ( Comfort ) tomorrow !

Hi Guys !

I am Ted from San Antonio

I am going to visit and ride the acclaimed Flat Rock Ranch tomorrow for the first time.

My skills are a little below intermediate, so hopefully I will be alright

From what I can gather I would probably be best of going with the Lower Loop for my first ride there. What do Y'all think ?

I would have posted sooner but I didn't even realize their was a Texas forum on Mtbr.

Nice to meet everyone !

Ted

mtbr member
    I'd recommend going with the Lower Loop, as well. I'd also suggest taking the map so you have a good idea of where you are at and how much more you have to go. You can get teh map on the FRR site or on the FRR trail listing.

You're gonna' love it!
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks Pedigre !

I appreciate your help ! Lower loop it is then.

I downloaded the map so I should be all set. Looks like their are plenty of markers on the trail to keep me oriented.

I am hopin to do the entire lower loop to make my first trip memorable.

Thanks again !

Ted

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_R
    Thanks Pedigre !

I appreciate your help ! Lower loop it is then.

I downloaded the map so I should be all set. Looks like their are plenty of markers on the trail to keep me oriented.

I am hopin to do the entire lower loop to make my first trip memorable.

Thanks again !

Ted
    Ted,

There will be others out there today, a couple of the SA Bike Mojo guys will be there as well. I have a short leash, otherwise I'd be happy to ride with you.

Enjoy, and take plenty of water

mtbr member
    See you out there Ted.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for the info Bob

I am glad to hear their will be others out there today.

I will be taking my Camelbak today so hopefully that will do me on water.

I will probably get there around 11 or 12 which will give it a chance to warm up a bit, when I checked this morning it was 25 degrees out there.

Hi Woody See ya there Bud

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    you should look at heading out there next weekend also. there is a TMBRA race and should be a good turn out. some real fast racers in the cat 1/ pro class, i have a hard enough time keeping up with the cat 2 guys... have fun out there, take a camera and take tons of pics or better yet get a camera and video the course...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I'm headin out !

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Have fun.. If I saw this earlier, I would have joined ya.

I have to fix my flat from my trip to Prospect in San Marcos

mtbr member
    Hot damn that was a great ride! Those trails are in great shape and are soooo much fun, it was worth the drive. I'm spent.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Cool.

I haven't been out there since between 1999 and 2002 sometime. I need to go back !

Quote Originally Posted by pulpwoody
    Hot damn that was a great ride! Those trails are in great shape and are soooo much fun, it was worth the drive. I'm spent.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    OMG !

Why didn't you guys warn me !

I can't believe nobody told me I would be spoiled for the rest of my life if I went to Flat Rock Ranch. Life will never be the same for me now. I will have visions of Flat Rock in my head no matter where I am riding.

That place is unbelievable, no wonder everybody raves about it.

Wow is all I can say.

OK. let me calm down

I rode all 15 miles of the Lower Loop. I was on my bike about 85 to 90% of the ride ( had to walk some of it ). I had 3 nifty crashes BUT I had no Flats !

Don't ask me how long it took me to complete the 15 miles and i won't have to lie to you.

I got to meet Jimmy ! What a heck of a nice guy, we talked plenty, I was the last one out so we had plenty of time to chat.

Anyway I KNOW I will be goin back to that place.

Thanks for all your help guys

I appreciate it.

Ted
    Last edited by Ted_R; 03-07-2011 at 06:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Ted,

If you're local to SA, there are a few of us who try to get out there for night rides (soon to be just after work rides) on Friday's... yes, we have no life....

If we do FRR one Friday, the next Friday we try to do Government Canyon... Every other week rotation seems to keep it interesting. There is a minimum of 3 riders to ride out there later, and we'll usually ask Jimmy or Doug to join us since they're the trail experts out there. Have a look at bikemojo.com and check out the "Raspa" section for other trips to FRR.

Glad you enjoyed it. Great place to have so close to the city. And as you found out, Jimmy & Terri are tops!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Very cool Bob,

The place was great and yes Terri and Jimmy are indeed tops.

I am definitely a local here in SA. I just started riding again about a month ago after a long lay off. As a result my quads still need a lot of work, I am painfully slow at this point. I really need to build my leg strength before I ride with a group I think, I would slow you guys down like an anchor. I am able to ride for a fairly long time ( 4 or 5 five hours ) but I have to take it fairly slow and conserve my strength to be able to do that.

How long does it take Y'all to do the whole lower loop at Flat Rock ?

Government Canyon is 5 minutes from my house I live near Seaworld.

Ted
    I'd rather be riding than healing, body armor is your friend ! :D

mtbr member
    Ted,

The cool thing about mojo is that there are folks on every level out there. The group that goes out on Friday nights ranges from racer boy fast (RPS) to old, slow and fat (me). We're out there to have fun, ride bikes, and drink the odd beer here and there. If you want to join in on other rides just let me know. We do Wednesday nights @ OP, with beers and brauts... there are other rides too, just get out and enjoy yourself.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks Bob !

I am definitely a strong believer in the " just get out there and have fun " concept that's exactly what I am all about on the weekends . I have no desire to be a MTB racer, I just do it for fun and fitness, and I love it.

I get all my chores and errands done on week nights so I can have fun on the weekends. As a result my week nights are pretty short on time.

So...these rides you mention are all listed at Bike Mojo in the Raspa section ?

I will go check that out and see what all is available.

I appreciate you taking the time to make me aware of all this, I had no idea. It sounds very cool.

Thanks !

Ted

mtbr member
    Ted,

Yes sir, check out Mojo... Woody's on there too, but mostly on the Austin Voodoo section.

I'm in the opposite camp as you. Wife works 12 hour shifts on the weekends some times, so I have to squeeze in the rides mostly after work during the week. I sneak out here and there when I get a kitchen pass on the weekends.

mtbr member
    My friend and I did the lower lp last Sunday..... It was awesome. If you wanna join us for a ride in March....holla,.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    let me know when you guys go, I might want to join

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am a Colorado biker coming to the Bandera/Hondo area to visit family. Are there any mountain bike rental options near Comfort that I could utilize to ride at Flat Rock (San Antonio is too far out of the way)? It is a long shot, but I thought I would ask anyways.

XC racer
    May 2005
    There are actually a couple of small shops around the Boerne area, 10 miles or so from Comfort. Do a Google search for that, I'm not sure which if any have rentals. Another alternative closer than SA would be Hill Country Bicycle Works in Kerrville, maybe 15 miles from Comfort.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, none of the shops in and around the Comfort/Kerrville area rent mountain bikes.

Here's where the shops are around there and into SA
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedigre
    Unfortunately, none of the shops in and around the Comfort/Kerrville area rent mountain bikes.

Here's where the shops are around there and into SA
    Thanks. I will check out my options.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Do what you need to do to ride at Flat Rock, you'll be glad you did.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_R
    Do what you need to do to ride at Flat Rock, you'll be glad you did.
    I ride in western Colorado and eastern Utah, and I would like to get an apprecation for riding elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm looking into going to flat rock for my first time this Friday. Ive been to mccalister park, OP, and government canyon. Ive only been riding a little over a month. Will anyone one else be out there?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spursguy123
    I'm looking into going to flat rock for my first time this Friday. Ive been to mccalister park, OP, and government canyon. Ive only been riding a little over a month. Will anyone one else be out there?
    I would love to do Flatrock some time soon. Unfortunately I can only make it out there on Sundays or Early Mondays. Let me know for next time. You will love it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spursguy123

you should also x-post this to bikemojo.com under the raspa section or the FRR section. Limited folks out there this weekend as this is the Mellow Johnny's race in Dripping Springs, but I'm sure you can find willing participants

mtbr member
    Would it be worth the drive from Dallas? 5+hrs.

mtbr member
    maybe on sunday...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pebblehoppertj
    maybe on sunday...
    Does something happen on Sunday's? Lol were just looking for a more scenic ride w/o going out of state. Thx. And bikemojo doesn't have much on this place or pics.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RCP80
    Does something happen on Sunday's? Lol were just looking for a more scenic ride w/o going out of state. Thx. And bikemojo doesn't have much on this place or pics.
    The riding there is as good as it gets in TX. Go to http://www.austinbike.com/mtb/comfort/index.asp good info.

XC racer
    May 2005
    Not sure what it will take to get you there....but a quick Google search for Flat Rock Ranch will net you tons of blog entries, YouTube videos, webnotes, and link to FRR's own FaceBook page. It's one of the most well-known and most loved private ranches in Texas for mountainbiking.

mtbr member
    You'll find what you need here, along with anywhere else in the region
    Pedigre

Members who have read this thread: 0