MTB trails in The Woodlands?- Mtbr.com

Sep 2005

MTB trails in The Woodlands?

Anyone here know of decent MTB trails in The Woodlands? I know about (and have ridden) Huntsville State Park and Memorial Park...I'm looking for trails that I can ride to from The Woodlands, not trails I have to drive to.

Thanks!

Rocket Scientist
    Mar 2005
    I grew up there and rode my bike hundreds of miles through the woods growing up. There are miles and miles of trails in the woods, even a few hidden ponds with great fishing. I don't know of any official trails, most of the ones I did as a kid are on 'private' property. Then again I haven't ridden back home for many years.

Slower than you...
    Sorta depends on how you define "decent".

There's some mild singletrack behind the pavillion at Burroughs Park on Huffsmith Road. It's not in the Woodlands proper, but it's within striking distance. It's a loose network of about 6 miles of trails - nowhere near the quality of the "real" area trails, though. About the only redeeming feature is a brutal sand hill climb at the back of the park.

Additionally, there's Jones State Forest south of 1488 - east of 242. It is, if anything, worse than Burroughs. It's long, straight, sandy jeep road heavily populated with equestrians. Good for building an aerobic base, but far from entertaining. I'm not sure, but I suspect there's a back way in from the Woodlands.

Finally, there's a really sweet, but lamentably short 1-mile loop of singletrack just across 1488 from Jones State Forest. Unfortunately, I'm not sure exactly how "legal" that piece is.

If you do run across more spots, be sure to let me know...

tdh

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdhood
    Sorta depends on how you define "decent".

There's some mild singletrack behind the pavillion at Burroughs Park on Huffsmith Road. It's not in the Woodlands proper, but it's within striking distance. It's a loose network of about 6 miles of trails - nowhere near the quality of the "real" area trails, though. About the only redeeming feature is a brutal sand hill climb at the back of the park.

Additionally, there's Jones State Forest south of 1488 - east of 242. It is, if anything, worse than Burroughs. It's long, straight, sandy jeep road heavily populated with equestrians. Good for building an aerobic base, but far from entertaining. I'm not sure, but I suspect there's a back way in from the Woodlands.

Finally, there's a really sweet, but lamentably short 1-mile loop of singletrack just across 1488 from Jones State Forest. Unfortunately, I'm not sure exactly how "legal" that piece is.

If you do run across more spots, be sure to let me know...

tdh
    As for that loop on the north side of 1488, that is still part of Jones. There used to be a no cycling sign.

Jun 2005

Ughhh.....

I just found this thread and it is making me a bit sad... I am moving into the Woodlands in April (just bought a house in the Alden Bridge area) and was hoping to find some good MTBing (road riding as well). I guess I am spoiled now - I am moving from the Lehigh Valley in eastern PA and has some of the best riding ever!

Members who have read this thread: 0