• 06-13-2006
    dualdale
    MTB riding in North Dallas area
    Hey all,

I've been offered a job in Carrollton, TX and I'm looking for info on MTB and Road riding in tha area. Cycling is a huge part of my life so any info in greatly appreciated.

Thanks !
  • 06-13-2006
    BikeMojo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dualdale
    Hey all,

I've been offered a job in Carrollton, TX and I'm looking for info on MTB and Road riding in tha area. Cycling is a huge part of my life so any info in greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

There is a bunch of good riding, and good folks in the DFW area.

Check out www.dorba.org and www.dirtdawgs.org
  • 06-13-2006
    jna
    Quote:

Hey all,

Thanks !

If you have to live in the Dallas area Carrollton is one of the better choices. I have lived in the Dallas area for 30 years with the last 5 being in far north Carrollton near the Lewisville border. There are at least 8 good trails within 20-45 min drive and some great trails 1-1/2 hours away. Lots of good road riding in the northern section Denton, Collin county area.
    Carollton also has some parts in Dallas county but I don't ride there as much. There are at least 3 bike shops that do group rides in the area some are seriously fast and some are for all skill levels. Carrollton Cycling Club has some hammerfest rides on Saturday morning I think. They are a pretty well established club. I ride mostly MTB but I do like to ride road and do some ralleys. Check http://www.bicycle-stuff.com/ for local road ride info
    and http://www.dorba.org/ for MTB info.
  • 06-18-2006
    dualdale
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info but I declined the job. There are some hefty costs in Texas that I never knew about.
  • 08-12-2006
    chas_martel
    Quote:

Thanks for the info but I declined the job. There are some hefty costs in Texas that I never knew about.

Just out of curiosity can you please tell us what cost your talking about?

I always thought of this place as fairly inexpensive.
  • 08-12-2006
    crazy Jim
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chas_martel

thats kinda weird cause Texas usually ranks up there with Tennesse for lower then average cost of living in the US, as well as no state income tax and they are seriously trying to cut our property taxes.
  • 08-13-2006
    56Bulldogs
    Quote:

Yeah, its called an electricity bill in the summer. :eekster:
  • 08-13-2006
    dualdale
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chas_martel

The property taxes are 2.6-3.0% in the area. That's more than double what mine are. I was planning paying cash for a house but my PT would have been $500-760 per month and you can't pay it off. Yes, TX has no state income tax but I only paid $500 to CA for all of last year.

The utilities are over 2x higher. Hot summers and most home in the area are all electric.

Health ins. premuim was 3x higher and a 70/30 coverage. With a family of 5 I can't even begin to estimate what 30% of our annual medical bills would be.

Gas was 20-40 cents per gallon cheaper though.

I negotiated with the employer for a week but the I could see that total compensation was not going to add up.

At the end of the day, I'm glad I gave it a shot. I met some great people while I was there.
    Texans could give most Ca folks a lesson in manners.
  • 08-14-2006
    crazy Jim
    hard to believe that our PTes would be higher then Kalis unless you currently live out in the sticks and you are comparing to city here. You would think health ins would be close anywhere in the country and more or less tied to what the local cost of living is in the area. Sure we have four months of high elec but the rest of the year usually quite bland and reasonable.
  • 08-14-2006
    dualdale
    Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy Jim
    hard to believe that our PTes would be higher then Kalis unless you currently live out in the sticks and you are comparing to city here. You would think health ins would be close anywhere in the country and more or less tied to what the local cost of living is in the area. Sure we have four months of high elec but the rest of the year usually quite bland and reasonable.

Yes, the PT and health ins. issues were unexpected. Our friends in Haltom City, Carrollton, and McKinney gave us the low down on the utilities.

I live 1/2 mile west of Disneyland and my PT is $2400.
    The PT on a similar track home in TX would have been $5200-6000 depending on the county and ISD.
    To put it in perspective if you look at 2 similar homes today, one in CA one in TX, CA prop taxes are higher. The catch is, I bought my home 8 years ago so my PT is based on that value. If I had to buy it at today's prices, I couldn't afford my current home.

The health ins. is an employer specific issue. The City I applied to is "self insured" only. They offered no other plans. My current employer used to offer a self ins. plan along with HMO, PPO. The administrative costs of the SI plan were too high to be competetive so we dropped it.
  • 08-14-2006
    Oregon
    When I moved to Texas, my insurance went through the roof. Car, renters, and health.

I'm about to be self-employed. Just a matter of days really, and I'm leaving Texas for Oregon in part because I love Oregon and in part because my health insurance will be $500 a month cheaper than if I stayed in Texas.
  • 08-14-2006
    crazy Jim
    at least here in N Texas you do not have to worry about washing the car:madman:
  • 08-15-2006
    56Bulldogs
    Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy Jim
    at least here in N Texas you do not have to worry about washing the car:madman:

No kidding. I saw some rain on TV the other day; it looked unnatural and foreign. I haven't washed my truck in almost 2 months...all it has on it is a little dust.