MTB riders in FT. Worth

Printable View

• 12-20-2010
    BenTX
    MTB riders in FT. Worth
    I'm an Austin rider that will be in Ft. Worth over the Christmas and New Years break, and I'm planning on riding Sansom Park at least once after researching trails in the area.

My question is, is there anybody out there that might be planning to ride out there on the 26th or 27th or 28th? I'm a pretty strong/experienced rider that likes to ride trails probably a little faster than I should, which isn't too smart when you're not familiar with a particular trail. I guess what I'm looking for is somebody kick ass to ride with that knows the trails and will tell me before I bomb down a descent that's got a switchback at the end on the edge of a 100 foot cliff. Tried to become a part of your forums around Thanksgiving for this same reason, but never got added by an admin for some reason, and didn't end up riding anyway.

Let me know.

PS. People that can ride all the harder trails dabbing less than 5 times go to the top of the list. Haha.
  • 12-20-2010
    Moodrid
    I know Samsom very well.I ride there 3 to 4 times a week.I ride a medium pace.If you would like to ride Sun around one I would guide you.
  • 12-20-2010
    PSUcycling
    i live a few miles from sansom, i won't be around for xmas but will be around new years. if you want to shoot me an email. Going to do the famous new years day road ride out west of town on the first but after that i'm free. i'm off work on sunday and monday afterward.

[email protected]
  • 12-21-2010
    BenTX
    I'm bringing my road bike up with me as well, any good rides I should know about on those days? What's this famous new years day ride?
  • 12-21-2010
    chas_martel
    I'd give you the tour but, given your description, doubt you could keep up.
  • 12-21-2010
    sooner518
    I ride Sansom every once in a while and Ill be around most of Christmas break. I usually ride Northshore just cause its a little closer and I think a little more fun but I'd be down for showing you around.

Im not racer-fast, but I can hold my own for the most part. I like going fast downhill more than I care about going fast up. I usually can finish Sansom with anywhere from 2-5 dabs FWIW....

Anyways, feel free to hit me up with a PM and Ill take you around Sansom or if you want to hit up Northshore, Id be down for that too. I will probably be out of town (in-laws house in Springtown which is about 45 minutes west of SP) until the night of the 27th, so I could do anytime after the 27th
  • 12-21-2010
    BenTX
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chas_martel
    I'd give you the tour but, given your description, doubt you could keep up.

Let's find out.
  • 12-21-2010
    PSUcycling
    i'll email you the flyer. whats your email?
  • 12-24-2010
    BenTX
    well i am thinking about riding out there on the 26th or 27th. maybe later also, but i feel like it probably got hit with a lot of rain. if anybody goes out there, give some trail updates, how do those trails react to rain generally? might have to just stick to the road bike once the streets dry up.
  • 12-25-2010
    Moodrid
    Sansom does well with rain.It is closed today but should be open Sun afternoon.
  • 12-25-2010
    DirtyR
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Moodrid
    Sansom does well with rain.It is closed today but should be open Sun afternoon.

You think the trails will be dry enough to ride by Sunday?
  • 12-25-2010
    Moodrid
    Should be by Sun afternoon.I am the one who post it and will be checking it in the morning.
  • 12-25-2010
    BenTX
    where do you post this info and how early? might try to start riding at like 9 am
  • 12-25-2010
    Moodrid
    I will post on here by 930 the condition.
  • 12-25-2010
    DirtyR
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Moodrid
    I will post on here by 930 the condition.

Better dress warm!!
  • 12-26-2010
    Moodrid
    Trail is good to go.Couple slightly tacky spots.Go hit it.I will be out there around 2
  • 12-26-2010
    DirtyR
    Anyone have a link to directions to the trailhead?
  • 12-26-2010
    BenTX
    http://www.fwmba.org/trails/sansompark.htm

Woke up late this morning, seeing a movie with the fam and whatnot, might hit it later today, or tomorrow morning.
  • 12-26-2010
    DirtyR
    Thanks Ben
  • 12-26-2010
    Moodrid
    Due to the ground being frozen it appeared to be dry and was not.Trail is still closed.Sorry for the mistake.
  • 12-27-2010
    BenTX
    Wish somebody could have warned me about tge probability of puncture out there. Glass littered all over the trail. First puncture in rear in less than 5 minutes, sealed up bc it's tubeless. Unfortunately I recently had to put a tube in my front and that went flat just after hitting the first red turnoff. Pretty bummed bc it seemed to just be getting good. I'll be back tomorrow.
  • 12-27-2010
    DirtyR
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BenTX
    Wish somebody could have warned me about tge probability of puncture out there. Glass littered all over the trail. First puncture in rear in less than 5 minutes, sealed up bc it's tubeless. Unfortunately I recently had to put a tube in my front and that went flat just after hitting the first red turnoff. Pretty bummed bc it seemed to just be getting good. I'll be back tomorrow.

Did you ride it today?
  • 12-27-2010
    BenTX
    Ya. Well, about 10 minutes of it before having to walk out. I got to the first red turnoff and it seemed to just be getting good.
  • 12-27-2010
    DirtyR
    I figured it would still be closed today. I'll probably hit it tomorrow. That sucks about your flat. That reminds me that I need to buy a spare.
  • 12-27-2010
    BBW
    I wanted to go but it showed closed :-(... If its open during the weekend you can hit me BenTX, I'll give you a good workout. Be prepare for several laps
    I don't dab BTW, hope you neither ;-)
    PM for the weekend
  • 12-27-2010
    BenTX
    I'll be headed back to Austin on Thursday, going out there again tomorrow. Didn't know I was supposed to check somewhere to see if it was open or not, the trail seemed fine except for a few damp spots...and all the glass.
  • 12-27-2010
    Moodrid
    I ride there 3 to 4 times a week and average a flat about every six months.Only real area with glass is at the end of the trail.It was styill muddy Sun afternoon after I had opened the trail so I closed it again.It should be fine tomorrow.
  • 12-27-2010
    BenTX
    riding tomorrow at 9:30a, if anybody's intersted. will probably try to do as many laps as I can before the rain starts.