Ms150- Mtbr.com

Thread: Ms150

mtbr member

Ms150

Well I just registered for the MS150 and i know this a MTB forum but I dont have access to road bike forum here at work(dont hv internet at home) and i have never really road a road bike. But im about to start.... Has anyone else here participated in the ride if so any recommendations about what to expect or training. Thanks

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    No idea about training, every time I rode it I did it cold turkey with no problem. Expect a bunch of idiots that have no clue how to ride a bike safely in a group. Change your shorts and wash off the second you arrive at the fairground. Expect every vehicle on the road to be driven by an ass. It is a fun ride, make sure you have lots of fun.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response. Im pretty excited about it

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I will be riding it also, and it will be my first attempt at it. If you go to the website http://biketxh.nationalmssociety.org...n=ms150orghome there is alot of really good information about the route and preparing for the ride.

Was hoping to get out to Government Canyon and OP this weekend but that does not look like it is going to happen. Hopefully we get some better weather before the MS so I can get some training time in. I have been told that riding the hills out on Hwy 211 by GC is good training for the MS. Looks like there are some rolling hills but the biggest factor is the headwind that usually comes up. Anyway, good luck should be an interesting ride.

mtbr member
    I have actually rode that 211 road from roger solers to galm then down hwy 16 on a mtb tho.... very good ride... i may try to make it out to OP on saturday morning. Still need to get a road bike....Thanks for the response are riding individual or for a company?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I am riding with a team, the Blue Crew. Most everyone on the team has ridden this ride before so I will be the new guy and most likely the one bringing up the rear but my goal is to complete the ride and not make a race of it. I just got an 09 Scott Speedster for the ride and it is a very different ride from my MTB.

mtbr member
    I see i need to hurry and get my road bike to get use to the geometry but I am riding for my employer by dept. is very into fundraiser and volunteered to sponser me. But I know no one on my team so it will be pretty much as a individual. I as well just make it a goal to finish. Of to the gym I go to begin my training.

mathlete
    Nov 2007
    You can do the ride on your MTB. It just takes longer. The past two years my friends and I have done it on the MTB's. Switch the tires to slicks. If you are riding a fully suspended bike-lock out the rear shock if possible. It is definitely easier to do it on a road bike but not terribly difficult to do on an MTB. Another friend of mine did it a couple of year back on a single speed fixed gear bike.

Training- I'd suggest doing a couple of training rides depending on your fitness level. Of those trainig rides I'd suggest doing a couple 50+ mile rides to acclimate yourself to longer stints in the saddle. There are several recommended trainng rides on the MS150 website. Also doing a trianing ride or two helps you perpare for the group ride aspect and you learn 1st hand how people behave (or don't behave). Remember many of the people doing this ride only saddle up for this one even (and a few of the training rides)

the ride- its fun overall. You meet lots of people. Most importantly- don't puss out an by pass the "challenge route" through the park at bastrop.

mtbr member
    Training:

Starting a good two or three months ahead of the ride, begin weekly weekend training
    rides, starting with a 30 miler. Each weekend, add 10 miles to a route. Work your way
    up to at least one 80 mile ride. If you can, mix the terrain of your training rides so that a
    good portion of them are on routes that require significant elevation changes.

You might want to learn how to ride in a pace line. If so, ride with groups (at least 4 or 5
    other riders) and learn how to work the pace line. There's an "art" to maintaining a
    constant 2 foot distance behind the wheel of the rider in front of you. "Yo-yo'ing" is very
    annoying and disruptive to other riders in a pace line. You'll also want to learn how to pull
    when it's your turn. If you don't have a computer, get one. Try to watch the speed of the
    pace. When you're up front, try to keep that same speed. There's also an "art" to rotating
    from the front to the back.

If you just want to roll solo, forget all that pace line gibberish.

Make SURE your bike is set up properly! If, for example, your bike seat is too low or too
    high, you're likely to fcuk your knees up. Think about how many pedal strokes there are
    on a 183 mile ride. Make sure your bike has been properly "fitted" and make sure that
    you maintain good form -- no bow-legged riding.

I'm not much of a roadie, but I've done the MS150 2 years in a row -- the 2008 and the 2007.
    I did a fair amount of training and was well prepared. I dropped the hammer! It was
    awesome!
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member
    Well i just got my first road bike a new bianchi and made sure to get it fitted properly it feels great! I guess i just need to learn the group ride.... i rode a good 60 miles this weekend i will increase every weekend ride. Thanks for the info.

Members who have read this thread: 0