Moving To San Antonio from Philly.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Moving To San Antonio from Philly.

Hi all,

I'm really exited to be coming to the area and start my new job, but I am curious about the Mountain biking seen in San Antonio. i am also interested in the vibe of the city from a mountain bikers point of view.

i guess i will be needing a guide as well.
    http://www.facebook.com/bigkeithxx All it takes is a first step

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Though I'm basically a rookie at MTB'g (less than 6 mos) I'll take a stab at this.

First off, compared to Philly, you're going to see YEAR ROUND biking.

Lots of good trails, parks.

McAllister Park......HUGE park, tons of trails. Never ridden them.

Government Canyon State Natural Area.....google it, great trails. A favorite.

Leon Creek Greenbelt/OP Schnabel Park, another favorite. The greenbelt is 8-10 miles of what were once seperate small parks separated by unbuildable creek space, all were linked together by parks dep't. Great paved trails, and great dirt trail winding thru mostly dry creeks, cliffs, tree canopy.

I've heard of a great bike park/ranch near Comfort TX that is popular.

And being in SA you are a short drive away from numerous state parks, natural areas, and the Hill Country.

As far as the "vibe", I dunno.......the city used to be behind the times as far as cycling, but have recently come into the 21st century pronoting bike riding with bike lanes, trails like the aforementioned greenbelt. People don't frown on MB'rs.

You're going to find that in general people are a HELLUVVA lot friendlier in SA/TX than in Philly.

Gimmie a holler when you get here, we can go hit a few of my favorite spots, help you get oriented.

cfx
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by To be named later

I've heard of a great bike park/ranch near Comfort TX that is popular.
    Flat Rock Ranch perhaps? - Great place to ride!

Be sure to check the "raspa" section of www.bikemojo.com - lots of local sa/austin riders there. Good info and daily/weekly rides.

To be named later mentioned some great places to ride and you've also got the trail system at John James to Tobin park (near Ft Sam) and the North Salado trail system. Austin is only an hour away and has some great places to ride as well!

Welcome to SA!

C..
    The amount of intelligence on the planet is finite .. the population keeps growing ..

mtbr member
    Tones of great places to ride out here and surrounding area. Personal favorite is Flat Rock Ranch, Government Canyon and McAllister Park. Ive been wanting to hit up Austin's City Park a.k.a. "Emma Long" but want to wait another month or so. Doing some major upgrades to my current bike. Welcome you to SA and hi to everyone else 1st post.

mtbr member

thanks for the info

I am so stoked to get there now

mtbr member
    No one has warned you about the blistering, humid HEAT out there yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dadstoy
    No one has warned you about the blistering, humid HEAT out there yet?
    Don't scare 'em! Besides, Philly can get pretty nasty in the summer, too. But SA does get pretty freakin' hot lol

a few of SA's trails have been hit on, but here's a little more:

McAllister - great park with between 6 and 20 miles (depending on who you ask and the route you choose). Nothing too overly technical and great place to get ones feet wet or for some fast laps.
    Mud Creek - a mile up the road from Mac, not as long, but still fun and a change of scenery
    Gov't Canyon - fits the bill for the new rider and technical beyond most riders' skills, and everything in between.
    Flat Rock Ranch is the trail in Comfort and is one of the top 5 in the state (in my opinion, at least...which is a wee bit credible )

For most all of the details and then some, check out MountainBikeTx.com (there's even a Googlemap to show you where all the singletrack goodness can be found)

Enjoy!
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    The humidity is the real killer here. If you are looking for cardio/leg burning/technical riding Government Canyon and Flat Rock will give you great results. Technical riding can be found at Salado Creek and (my fav) Madrone Trail. Nice easier rides are Bamberger/Op Schnabel and McAllister. I've been riding every weekend with a small group for 5 years or more and we are always open to others to join in! Let me know.
    Yeti 575
    XT/Raceface components

mtbr member
    I will be down this weekend to test out this so called humidity.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkeith
    I will be down this weekend to test out this so called humidity.
    It should be nice this weekend. Always have plenty of water.

mtbr member
    If you ride regularly in the PA mountains, the first thing you'll find out is there is almost no climbing challenge in the SA area (don't worry after a few years of living here and eating the local cuisine it all changes). The other thing you'll notice is that while there is no humidity here compared to back east, the heat and intensity of the sun is freak'n brutal! Bring lots of water, and invest in sun screen. The upshot is that there is no traffic here compared to what you're used to. If you drive 70 here you're going too slow People here are friendly... took me about 6 months to start making eye contact and realized people were waving at me that I didn't know... and they weren't going to shoot me, they are just friendly...... did i mention that there is no dirt here? It's almost all rock in central texas, but not bluestone, it's limestone and super grippy even when wet! You'll also never need a snow shovel again! Cold to these people is 50*... seriously, they wear winter coats in the 40's and think they are going to die! Cost of living is awesome here, gas is cheaper. Check out bikemojo.com and look for weekday after work rides Mon-Thur and then take trips all over the place on the weekends. SA is a great place to get away from it all, and it' keeps getting more and better stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I moved to the Eastcoast from Texas (grew up in SA then lived in Austin 4 years before moving to D.C area).
    there is some great riding in Texas and I wish I could move back all the time, some of the posts already hit a bunch of great points, you will immediatley notice how much friendlier it will be there. weather wise will be the biggest adjustment for you, although it gets as hot and humid here in the east coast area it lasts much longer in Texas.
    when I was living there during the summer most of the rides we did were night rides.
    The best part will come in the middle of winter when you are still wearing shorts and riding while the rest of us east coasters are frozen.

good luck and and make sure not to call any one from Texas a southerner.. they are all Texans..

Hi all,

I'm really exited to be coming to the area and start my new job, but I am curious about the Mountain biking seen in San Antonio. i am also interested in the vibe of the city from a mountain bikers point of view.

i guess i will be needing a guide as well.

mtbr member
    Its almost time to have my last cheesesteak and my last ride on my favorite trails. soon i will be a Texan.

I will be traveling ahead of my family so i will have a lot of free time to ride and learn the city after work of course. I will hit this thread for a guide who doesn't mind showing the ropes to a slow poke

cfx
    mtbr member
    Its almost time to have my last cheesesteak and my last ride on my favorite trails. soon i will be a Texan.

I will be traveling ahead of my family so i will have a lot of free time to ride and learn the city after work of course. I will hit this thread for a guide who doesn't mind showing the ropes to a slow poke

There's some good cheesesteaks available here @ Taste of Chicago on Austin Highway and Boston Subworks on Nakoma so you can always get a taste of home

As for the trails here, post up in this thread or the raspa section on bikemojo.com. Always peeps riding and willing to show others around.

cya in SA!

C..
    The amount of intelligence on the planet is finite .. the population keeps growing ..

XC racer
    May 2005
    Don't know your exact timetable or if it would even appeal to you, but next weekend is the Mellow Johnny's Classic race at Juan Pelota's Ranch in Dripping Springs, perhaps an hour or so north of SA. It's the only bigtime Pro-XCT race in the state with all the big name pros, etc, and also a regular round of the Texas State Championship Series.
    It's on Lance Armstrong's ranch, which gives it a certain panache. You can even sign up to ride the course without racing at certain times this weekend and the next.
    I think you are going to like the hospitality and variety of trails you will find near your new home.

mtbr member
    Well! I made it.I will be living in an hotel for a few days and work starts on Monday. I managed to make it to McAllister park for a few minutes of riding. nice clean single-track but not all that challenging.I believe it will be a good place to take the wife and kids to get them acclimated but they will even expect more.

now all i need is a good burrito or tacos

mtbr member
    Well! I made it.I will be living in an hotel for a few days and work starts on Monday. I managed to make it to McAllister park for a few minutes of riding. nice clean single-track but not all that challenging.I believe it will be a good place to take the wife and kids to get them acclimated but they will even expect more.

McAllister is a nice for fast rides. Welcome you. Anyways I think you should check out Government Canyon for the next ride out. It also is a good place for the family. They can do the front country while you hit up the back country. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f...rnment_canyon/

If you get a chance look up Emma Long (City Park) up in Austin. I rode that for the first time 2 weeks ago. THAT Place Is A Beast!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XRaptor
    If you get a chance look up Emma Long (City Park) up in Austin. I rode that for the first time 2 weeks ago. THAT Place Is A Beast!
    He's right. Check it out here.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

McAllister is super tame for sure. If you want to pedal the bike without using the brakes or gears much, that's your spot. I'd say the other end of the spectrum for close-to-town trails is Gov't Canyon. They are not open every day ...I think it's Thursday through Monday or something like that.

As far as SA vibe ...you absolutely have to live inside the 410 loop. Beyond that, you really don't have any detectable vibe at all. Just look for bike lanes. If you see them, your in SA proper.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hey Keith,

I see through some internet spying that you will be working for the same company as me, but I work in the Austin office. There are quite a few riders here and I'm sure some of them would be more than happy to show you around. Looking forward to working with you.

Peter
    Last edited by peterm5365; 05-05-2011 at 11:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Open invite......our group are typical weekend warriors and will be riding Flat Rock this Saturday morning if you are interested. We start out around 8:00am. Flat Rock Ranch is "slightly" more difficult than McAllister.

Frank
    Yeti 575
    XT/Raceface components

mtbr member
    great info all

Thanks

Pete I will PM you

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Did anyone mention Salado Creek? Its pretty technical and right in the North part of town. you can get in 12-16 miles depending where you drop in at. MTBTX has it on their site, worthwhile to mix things up.

mtbr member
    If your up for it there is a 5pm Wednesday ride out at OP. Everyone meets up at Leon Creek Greenway Trailhead off of Mainland Dr next to the Walmart and Bandera Rd. Its a fun easy ride. Sometimes the groups splits up fast & slow. If you ever show up look for Twee, shes on a sweet looking Yeti. I wont be able to go until I get back on my 12 hour shift. Maybe a month or so. http://www.panoramio.com/photo/34048868

mtbr member
    I agree with hitting up Salado, gets technical in some sections but its a blast to ride. Mud Creek is another one that is fun, never see to many riders there though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2gunnz
    I agree with hitting up Salado, gets technical in some sections but its a blast to ride. Mud Creek is another one that is fun, never see to many riders there though.

Where exactly is "Mudcreek"?
    Yeti 575
    XT/Raceface components

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalGuero
    Where exactly is "Mudcreek"?
    It's about a mile down the road from Mac.

Here ya' go
    Pedigre

Members who have read this thread: 0