Moving to Plano, TX area.. Wheres the best location for good access to trails?- Mtbr.com
    pk3

Jul 2006

Moving to Plano, TX area.. Wheres the best location for good access to trails?

I'm looking to move down in about a year. Would love to research and find a great location near some of the better trails that the area has to offer. Like I said in the title, my office is in Plano. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    are you into XC, FR or DJ

pk3

Jul 2006
    At this point, mostly XC.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    there are many very nice DORBAmaintaned XC trails around Dallas. My only complaint is little or no elevation change. You will have to go outside the metroplex, north or south about an hour and a half to get to somewhat more hilly terrain. After you get tired of Dallas come on over to Fort Worth for a fresh take on mountain bike XC.

pk3

Jul 2006
    Thanks for the link. Im going to post up. If you had your choice, which trail(s) would you want in your backyard so to speak? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    RCP has twelve miles of trail (pretty much the most of any in the metro) and is near Garland which is close to Plano. there are some nice dirt jumps near RCP as well. On the opposite side of town is Cedar Hill state pk. This is pretty much DORBAs diamond trail with about 11 miles but is south of town and about 45-60 minutes from Plano. West of Plano there are two nice trails near Lake Ray Roberts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Generally, just see the Dorba site posted above, but here's a quick breakdown of what will probably be closest to you.

Closest = Arbor Hills is in Plano, but it's short and flat

Next closest = RCP (in Garland) and Erwin Park (Mckinney) Both are well maintained and have log jumps, small bowls, and other features, but generally aren't very difficult and can be crowded.

Closest thing with any difficulty = Northshore in Grapevine. Very enjoyable out and back with lots of obstacles, but the front (easier) side is uber-crowded on weekends.

Closest thing with any elevation change whatsoever = Either Cedar Hill SP or Cleburne SP, probably, though I guess you could be closer to Bar H Ranch. I haven't ridden Bar H but its reportedly very good, and Cedar Hill and Cleburne have probably the biggest hills in DFW (not that that's saying much)

Closest downhilling = Cameron Park at Waco. The hard core downhills there are above my level so I can't really speak for it, but by every account I've heard there are very good (though short) double blacks and such.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    There is a longer and better downhill at Sansom pk in Ft, Worth. Buleson (S. of Ft. Worth) has a coupla downhills with some nice places to catch air thrown in for good measure.

Bar H is apprx 1.5 hours from dallas but had THE best elevation change in N. Texas. They also have pretty much the most exciting, Colorado esq trail riding in the area.

mtbr member
    http://www.pbase.com/philluna/dorba_...nch_state_park

this is on the north side of lake ray roberts. there is a similar trail on the south side of the lake that is just as fun to ride.

they are about 30-45 minutes from plano.

check out the dorba board. lots of good help there
    "who's pushing the pedals on the season cycle?" -xtc

Jul 2006
    i'm not from dfw, but love to ride boulder park when i'm in the area. I've ridden erwin too, but found it a little lacking, well maintained though. dorba, you guys do a great job. What and where is RCP?? I'm planning on hitting Bar H in two weeks.

mtbr member
    RCP is Rowlett Creek Preserve right on the Garland/Rowlett Line. It's near the intersection of Centerville and Firewheel Parkway/190.

A lot of people like RCP because it's close to where they live with a lot of different options. Not too much elevation change, but there are a bunch of fun areas and some great dips on Loop 10. Loop 7 can be a challenge but is fun!

I personally like Boulder, Northshore, Johnson's Branch and Isle du Bois better, but when I lived in Dallas I wasn't close to RCP and didn't ride it much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Actually that's Centreville and highway 360. Anyway, besides that Oregon is pretty much spot on. It's a nice trail if you're in the Garland/Rowlett area, but there are better places in other parts of town. I used to ride it a lot when I lived in Mesquite bc it was close and it was always well maintained. I think dorba held a lot of beginner clinics and log jumping practice and such out there. It's also nicely divided between the easy stuff on the south side of the parking lot and the more difficult stuff (relatively speaking) on the north side of the lot, with a loop system that works well if you want to double back and hit the fun parts 2 or 3 times. From Plano I'd say it might be worth making the trip sometimes because its fairly close, but I'd probably spend more time at perhaps Erwin or maybe even Grapevine (depending on whether you're on the eastern or western side of plano) since they are both a little more challenging and probably about the same distance from plano.

mtbr member
    Arbor Hill has way more elevation change than Rowlett Creek by the way.
    In fact, most agree that AH is a great aerobic workout.

Also you have to consider the "bandit" trials which are not listed
    officially on any of the maps. That at least doubles the length
    of AH.

North of Plano you also have Eriwin park which is a great ride, better
    than Rowlett Creek.

Of course Bar-H is a great place to ride but it is too far to do
    on a daily basis.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel
    Arbor Hill has way more elevation change than Rowlett Creek by the way.
    In fact, most agree that AH is a great aerobic workout.

Also you have to consider the "bandit" trials which are not listed
    officially on any of the maps. That at least doubles the length
    of AH.

North of Plano you also have Eriwin park which is a great ride, better
    than Rowlett Creek.

Of course Bar-H is a great place to ride but it is too far to do
    on a daily basis.

I would second this. Arbor Hills, although short, has more ups and downs within that creekbed than most places in town. I just moved up to N. Tollway/Plano area from downtown Dallas, and although I still love Boulder and Cedar Hill, Arbor Hills is around the corner, and Erwin is real close too. I'm also one of those people who doesn't really like RCP. (or Northshore for that matter) Again, check out Dorba.org for all the info you could want.

mtbr member
    I've got to get my skills up.

Where I've ridden
    Arbor Hills...short and flat? The hills kick my butt.
    Erwin Park - a little lacking? It's very technical for me in many spots.

Can't wait till I'm up on my skills and stamina and can fly through these trails.

Members who have read this thread: 0