Moving to Midland/Odessa...help- Mtbr.com
    shoes

Moving to Midland/Odessa...help

I will be moving to midland or odessa texas in a month and I was just wanting to know of any really good runs around that area..anyone know? also, I can't find a house to rent in either of these areas, just apartments. Anyone know of any rental houses in the area, it would mean the world if someone knew! Thanks
    The crows kept calling his name, thought Caw. - Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Good luck out there. Flat/dry/treeless/and HOT. But the people are extremely nice and the BBQ is the best.

half-fast rider
    Not much off road right in Midland/Odessa. There is a place at NoTrees, about 25-30 miles north west of Odessa.

I'm in San Angelo, about 120 miles southeast. We have a couple of areas to ride. A state park that has a 30 plus miles of mostly flat singletrack. There are also some trails at another lake here. Most of our trails are more xc oriented, nothing super technical or very freeride oriented.

Abilene is about 150 miles from Midland. There are a few regular posters on the board from Abilene. From what I understand, they have some more technical stuff there, I need to get up there and try their trails.

With the economy in Midland/Odessa going through a pretty good oil boom, a rent house may be tough.

TNC
    noMAD man

If you're in San Angelo...

Quote Originally Posted by kpomtb
    Not much off road right in Midland/Odessa. There is a place at NoTrees, about 25-30 miles north west of Odessa.

I'm in San Angelo, about 120 miles southeast. We have a couple of areas to ride. A state park that has a 30 plus miles of mostly flat singletrack. There are also some trails at another lake here. Most of our trails are more xc oriented, nothing super technical or very freeride oriented.

Abilene is about 150 miles from Midland. There are a few regular posters on the board from Abilene. From what I understand, they have some more technical stuff there, I need to get up there and try their trails.

With the economy in Midland/Odessa going through a pretty good oil boom, a rent house may be tough.
    I'm surprised you've never heard of the ranch near Bronte...about 45 miles from you. It's halfway between Abilene and San Angelo. You have to be a member or at least go with a member, but the place is absolutely awesome...75 miles of trail and terrain that always has something happening.
    Attached Images Attached Images

half-fast rider
    I have ridden at Bronte, but not in years. I didn't have any current info on riding there so I didn't mention it. I probably haven't ridden there since 95 or so. I lived in Florida for about 6 years and when I moved back it seemed like mountain biking had just about died here. We're slowly building it back up. I don't know of anyone from Angelo that has been riding mountain bikes in Bronte lately. I need to get together with you guys from Abilene and get back out there. I'm sure it would completely kick my butt at this point. We just don't have any climbs or super technical to speak of down here.

How often do you guys get down to Bronte? Do you still have to be voted in to the motocross club to join? How much are the dues these days?

shoes
    well, i actually trained in san angelo at the air force base for Fire School and they have an XC course on base, but i never went too north from there, so i don't really know any other part of texas (I live in Oklahoma). I am waaaaaay more of a freerider than an XC'er, so i would prefer rough terrain over flat if there is any. But, I am moving down to midland/odessa for the oil and plan on living there for a while, so a nice rental house would be great...if ANYONE knows of any rental houses i would **** in my pants. Is the oil industry really booming that much? Its amazing that i cannot find one rental hosue down there...at least on the internet....please help me!!!

P.S. - I am really really wasted!

TNC
    noMAD man
    After deer season closes, I'm often out there nearly every weekend. A group of us just spent 3 days camping and riding there. The dues are $50 a year...eletricity, water, and club house included in that. And don't call us motocrossers...we're enduro riders...LOL! Me and other guys at Biketown in Abilene go to Bronte frequently. Have you ridden our Buck Creek Trail in Abilene lately. You might not even recognize it. It's grown into a great trail with lots of technical fun.

shoes
    so...who's a member and who's going to take me? haha...i think I might have to end up buying a house down there because i can't find crap. if you live in midland or odessa keep an eye out for rental houses!!

Why did it happen to me
    Feb 2004

Peytons/notrees

Give peytons Bikes in Midland a call. There is a ranch 30 miles from Odessa called Flag Ranch with around 15-20 miles of technical single track on it. Any of the guys at Peytons can get you lined out. Yeah it is pretty hard to get a house/apartment round here right now. I have heard a six month wait on an apartment. I live in Odessa so if you need any information send me an email and I'll help you how ever I can. Good luck sanspeur.
    If this is your first night at fight club, you have to fight.

Why did it happen to me
    Feb 2004

Peytons Phone Number....

is 432-699-1718 sorry I forgot to put it in the last one. The guys there are great and really friendly.
    If this is your first night at fight club, you have to fight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    There is all kinds o riding around El Paso.. We have some awesome trails.. DH and XC... Check our site www.roughriderracing.org .. peace and good luck w/ finding a house..

shoes
    Quote Originally Posted by sanspeur
    Give peytons Bikes in Midland a call. There is a ranch 30 miles from Odessa called Flag Ranch with around 15-20 miles of technical single track on it. Any of the guys at Peytons can get you lined out. Yeah it is pretty hard to get a house/apartment round here right now. I have heard a six month wait on an apartment. I live in Odessa so if you need any information send me an email and I'll help you how ever I can. Good luck sanspeur.
    wow, so its that bad huh. I'm just about ready to move down there and I still can't find a rent house. I will probably have to settle for an apartment. I'm excited to see what kind of trails you have down there, I haven't ridden very much lately but that will change, hopefully, when i move down there. I will try that bike shop and see what they ahve to say. I'm gonna have end up staying with my brother and sleeping on his couch, so if anyone sees anything in midland or odessa, please let me know! Thanks guys -scrwscrnnms

Members who have read this thread: 0