Moving to Houston and need advice!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Moving to Houston and need advice!

Here is the skinny:

I will be working by the galleria. 1)I have a strict budget of 250k. 2)Good schools are a must. 3) I would prefer a short or bikeable commute. My understanding is that there is only a slim chance that I can get all three of those.

If I can't have those three things, then I would prefer to live biking distance or as close as possible to a quality trail on the West side of Houston and have good schools for 250k. Can anyone tell me what areas to target and which trails to try and get close to?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by codwater View Post
    Here is the skinny:

I will be working by the galleria. 1)I have a strict budget of 250k. 2)Good schools are a must. 3) I would prefer a short or bikeable commute. My understanding is that there is only a slim chance that I can get all three of those.

If I can't have those three things, then I would prefer to live biking distance or as close as possible to a quality trail on the West side of Houston and have good schools for 250k. Can anyone tell me what areas to target and which trails to try and get close to?
    The two closest trail systems to that area would be Memorial Park and Anthills. Between the two, anthills located near the energy sector is a more of a biker friendly trail. Memorial is not far from the galleria at all but it's houston so depending on what road you are coming on it may take longer than you would think. Memorial can be alot of fun and is very rooty but as it is one of the better parks is often full of walkers, runners, and dogs. Anthills is a fun trail with smaller jumps and a BMX section. But, not sure where you are headed from, this is Houston so no real elevation changes. Most your speed will come from your own legs. Honestly Houston is so large and diverse with pockets of inflated housing next to sketchy areas within the same zipcode. Not as familiar with the housing market to give you a heads up on that so i will let others chime in. But 250k may put you in the more suburban areas if i were to guess as the housing within the city that is not in a sketched out area can be pricey. List out some areas and im sure other will give an opionion on them that your are looking into.

GHORBA is the local trail association and has a list of trails. More importantly it has the local addresses for the trails as well.
    Greater Houston Off-Road Biking Association

ANTHILLS facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/534322359952442/

Memorial facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/MPmtb/

Honestly there is alot more conversation on the local trail facebook page than anything on here. So those are also a great source.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I recommend you rent for 6 months or so to be able to check out the various options. The prices are probably going to be higher than your budget the closer to downtown you get. danniel1332 gives you some good links. Housing wise look at HAR.com for listings.
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net
    Texas Bicycling News, Events and Experiences

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by texbiker View Post
    I recommend you rent for 6 months or so to be able to check out the various options. The prices are probably going to be higher than your budget the closer to downtown you get. danniel1332 gives you some good links. Housing wise look at HAR.com for listings.

Thats good advice....I've got friends that live in Houston still, some live out in Montgomery and love their house/location/schools that they willingly put up with a 1-1.5 hr daily commute. I've got family that lives in Houston and chose to live in a super yuppie are right downtown near work too, it really depends on your lifestyle and priorities.

I have a saying "Life's too short to live in Houston", not because it's a horrible place, but because it's a crowded place that is just too big.

250k will get you a nice house in a whole lot of places, due to the depressed oil & gas market, housing has slacked off a bit there too.

Magically Delicious
    I grew up in Houston

It's a great place to say you're 'FROM'.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X