Moving to Houston Area

Printable View

• 04-03-2006
    adoucett
    Moving to Houston Area
    I currently live in Maryland and will be relocating to Katy, Texas. Does anyone now of a Trail Guide book for that area.
    Thanks,
    Shane
  • 04-04-2006
    LukeTX04
    I do not know of a trail guide for the area but anyone around here can help you out. If you like to ride XC you are in good shape. In Houston there are several trails. The Anthills which follow buffalo bayou for several miles, a trail that you would take one way and then turn around and ride back to where you started. This would be the cosest to Katy, probably 15 min drive. There is also Memorial Park, just inside loop 610. Probably 10ish miles (someone correct me if I'm wrong) of trails. I live right off of the anthills but I prefer to ride MP depending on the time of day as it can get pretty crowded on the weekend. The anthills also has a bowl at one end with some nice dirt jumps if that is your thing. Also, about an hour and a half from katy is Rocky Hill Ranch. I have never been but the first chance I get I am planning on making the trip. http://www.boomersrockyhill.com/ there is the link for RHR. Also in south Houston, probably a 45 minuite drive from Katy there is another park with some good trails that I have never been to. Jack Brooks Park I believe is the name of it.

Remember though, this is south east Texas=translation, flat. Any climbs and downhills that we have are generally very short but can get steep in some places. The Anthills I think has more climbing than Memorial Park. Another link for you, www.teamsmack.com is a group of folks that ride in Houston. Also check out www.ghorba.org - Greater Houston Off Road Biking Association. And if you like to race - www.tmbra.org - Texas Mountain Bike Racing Association. Good luck. Let us know if you have any more questions.
  • 04-04-2006
    string
    Luke TX04 pretty much summed it up.

Rocky Hill Ranch is very fun. The primary local trails are the Anthills and Memorail Park. They are both decent twisty single track. Nothing spectacular, but still fun.

There is a guide to trails in Texas and Louisiana that hits some of the high lights. Most are out of Houston so its only a good rescource if you plan on spending some time in the car to ride. I'll try to find the name of the guide book.
  • 04-04-2006
    adoucett
    Thanks for the information guys. I'm really not doing much XC specific riding currently, more into the aggressive trail riding. I really love 24hr racing as well.

Thanks,
    Shane
  • 04-04-2006
    LukeTX04
    Also check out http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/exptexas/bike/ this will have all of the state parks in Texas that have trails and info about them. Some are pretty good. I rode at Guadalupe River St Park a few months ago and it was just flat rock gardens but I know there are some good park trails around as well. Good luck. How soon are you moving?
  • 04-04-2006
    LukeTX04
    Also, since you like 24 hr races, October 21-22 there is a 24hr at Rocky Hill Ranch. There is also a 60mile race there April 29th. Hope some of this helps.
  • 04-04-2006
    adoucett
    I'm still waiting to hear on a promotion. If all goes well, I'll be in Houston by June. The information will help out greatly.
    Thanks,
    Shane
  • 04-04-2006
    string
    Despite the local trails I would also consider my riding style aggressive trail riding.

Although hardtails and shorter travel XC bikes are the norm I ride a 34lb trail bike (Foes FXR) with a mix of heavier components. Its probably over kill for much of the local terrain, but if you look for tougher lines the opportunity is here for fun and some occasional air.

Unfortunately, there are no epic rides in town.

Summer riding in Texas can get a little hot but not bad if you go early in the day. The toss up is you get year round riding.
  • 04-04-2006
    adoucett
    My main ride is a Gaint Reign with Sun Rhino Lights and 2.4 bulldog on front with a 2.2 Maxxis Swamp Thing rear. Just had the front spring in the Nixon changed out to Extra Stiff to account for the drops and downhill. Changing out other things as I break them. Lots of chances for tuff rocky, rooty and steep riding.
    My race bike is a K2razorback Team. Sounds like it is on the money for that area.
  • 04-04-2006
    string
    As far as Houston goes, The Reign should be fun. You just have to push it on the trail in the few sections that allow it. The DH sections tend to be steep but very short (translated 30 ft or less (often much less) in most cases) with lots of roots. No rocks. You can actually launch off a fair number of the lips on the DH's (or roll it depending on preferance) and get a few feet of air. Just be ready to turn when you land.

I run 2.5/2.35 Nevgals and a Pike fork which would be pretty similiar to your Reigh set up. The heavier bike probably makes me one of the slower riders, but I'm having fun.

The Razorback will fly over 90% of the terrain. The two should give you a good combo.
  • 04-05-2006
    LukeTX04
    String is right, the bikes should work well around here. You see alot of nice full suspensions on the trails around here but I don't really think it is needed. I ride a hardtail and do just fine. No complaints. If you can get out and ride after work rather than on the weekends there are not near as many people out. The Anthills are never too bad but Memorial Park gets pretty crowded around Saturday and Sunday. I am going there today after work and it should not be bad.
  • 04-05-2006
    adoucett
    How about night riding. Is it allowed on those trails? Seems like that would be a good opition due to the heat during the summer.
    Also,
    what type of tires are being ran? Up here its all about large volume, low PSI, sticky tires. Keeps traction through all the mud, rocks and roots.
    Shane
  • 04-05-2006
    LukeTX04
    Night riding is absolutely allowed and happens a good bit I think. As far as tires, you don't have to worry so much. We don't get much mud at all and no one really ever rides right after a good rain anyway to preserve the trails. Right now I am running a 2.2 but about to switch to a 2.1 peneracer fire xc pro. There is quite a lot of roots on our trails though.
  • 04-05-2006
    string
    Gotta love night riding. Keep in mind it can still be in the mid to upper 80's after dark in the summer. Better than the upper 90's but still on the warm side. On a crowded day, you might see two or three other riders on a typical nide ride.

Tires - I'm running Nevgals front and rear (2.5/2.35) but most are riding something in 2.0 to a 2.2 casing. Mud can be a problem after a rain, but dries pretty fast in the summer. They actually close some of the trails (namely Memorial Park) after a rain till it dries out. Lot of roots and a lot of pine needles and leaves over hard pack.
    I prefer a tire with a fair amount of bite that can grip through the top coating of leaves but still grabs on roots.

The Nev's are my current favoritae with the Fire XC's a close second.
  • 04-05-2006
    adoucett
    Thanks Guys,
    I'll been touch when the move happens. It would be nice to meet up with someone who already knows the trails.
    Shane:cool:
  • 04-05-2006
    drboudreaux
    also check out the riding area off of hwy 6 south towards where it joins 1-45 S. The name is Jack Brooks Park I think. That area was actually my favorite when I had to live there last summer. Fairly technical, longest trail in the Houston area. Memorial Park is also nice, as are the Anthills. However, I am so happy to be back in Utah now. The riding is pretty good here. I do miss the Houston riding from time to time though. It was fun last summer - just your options are limited.

I will have to disagree with the other posters - the Giant is overkill. I have an Ellsworth Joker, a Turner DHR and a hardtail. I rode the hardtail all last summer - broke out the Joker once for some downtown riding. The K2 should be perfect for everything, but I guess it depends on what you consider "dh" and "jumps." Not trying to knock Texas or Houston riding (I promise), but it really is unecessary there.Good luck and have fun down there. The spring and fall is great there.
  • 04-06-2006
    texacajun
    a couple of hours north/west of Katy puts you in the middle of the texas hill county. Lots of rocks, & hills and some ledge hucking to be had. City Park in Austin will put your tech skills to the test :)

Here's a decent list w/descriptions, directions & photo's
    www.austinbike.com/

check out the video's of some hill country race courses
    www.pedalmasher.com

--------------------------------
    Note: a boudreaux & a doucett talking about riding in the woods and no mention of guns & motors...what's the world coming to :rolleyes:
  • 04-07-2006
    adoucett
    Two great sites, thank you.
    Several of the trails look like they are a blast. Much closer to the type of riding I love to do.
    Shane :D