Moving to Georgetown- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2015

Moving to Georgetown

I'm moving to Georgetown in the next few months and am planning on getting back into mtn biking. I've mainly been a roadie the past six years, but after a major crash last summer I have decided to go back to what I truly enjoy. I mean if I'm going to get hurt it might as well happen doing what I enjoy the most.

I've never owned a full suspension bike, but have always ridden Specialized. Needless to say, the options of all bikes is quite over whelming. I haven't ridden anything yet, and I know that is the most important part, but I wanted to get input from the locals around the Austin area.

What I am thinking about is the Stumpjumper FSR Expert model. Will this bike be more than adequate for the majority of the trails around the Austin area? Am I possibly going to "big" with the expert model since I've never had a full suspension? Will I get the same quality and not notice a difference with the Elite? I know the price point difference is due to components, but I don't know much about today's components. At this point I have no clue if I want a 29er or 650 and I figure that choice will be made for me when I ride both of them. I'm 5'8 and 180# with a stocky build, not fat.

I've also thought about, but am intimidated, buying an Evil frame and building my own bike. Does anyone ride one of these and have feedback?

Any input or advice is greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Both the Stumpy and the Evil The Following will do well around here. Both are a 29 which most ride and both are good bikes with around the same travel. The Stumpy is available in 650b and you should ride a 650b and a 29er before making that call. I would suggest when you finally move here, going down to Bicycle Sport Shop on south Lamar and one day renting a 650b and the next renting a 29er. They don't rent Stumpjumpers any more, but you can get a Trek Remedy in both 650 and 29 just to give you a neutral contrast between wheel sizes on the same model with the same geometry.

All that being said, if money isn't holding you back, I would suggest the Evil. Better resale value, they have fixed their frame snapping issues by switching manufacturers and a little bit better rear end than the 4 bar/horst link on the Specialized. Plus that thing is a gorgeous bike. That being said, you won't go wrong with either choice.

You can get the Expert for around $5900 as per the Speccy website but I bet you could wrangle a few hundred off at BSS. And that comes with a Pike and the XT groupset. You can get the Evil frame for $2599 and pick up a new Pike for around $639 plus $20 shipping Plus the XT groupset is available from Chain Reaction for $573. Stan's Flow Ex rims and Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs are a good quality wheelset for the Austin area and can be had for around $600. Add on your handlebars, stem, seat, a dropper post and pedals and you are looking at approximately $500 more. Add on a few hundred for dropping the bike off at a bike shop to handle the things you can't do yourself. So for around $4500 you can have an Evil which is a better bike with comparable components that you can choose or you can pay 1500 more for the Specialized brand name. It's a no brainer to me.

Go here for shop info, go here for trail info.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Check out the Evil forum for a fairly long thread on the Following. Good reviews so far.

The Stumpy is a good bike too, but note that they're totally redesigning it for the 2016 model year to bring it more in line with the 'new school' geometry of slacker HA/longer TT/short stem and wide bars. I'd personally wait until the new model if I was going to buy one of those.

Check out the Trek Remedy as suggested - great bike in either 29 or 650B (I preferred 29).

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks for the input guys. I only found about the Evil from reading on here and it's a sweet looking bike. I've been reading through the forum on it and it's gotten me more and more interested in it. I'll keep reading up on it and once I get moved I'll try a few rides and make my decision. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Check out the lake Georgetown Goodwater IMBA Epic trail. You'll want some suspension for that.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    ^^^And extra tires...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'd buy that new Specialized 27+ bike for these trails. I think that's going to be the future for places like Central Tx where many of the good trails consist of a sea of moving rocks underneath you at all times. It's all about traction going up and down.

Besides that, stick to the major brand bikes imo.

mtbr member
    Goodwater. Get ready for some pain!
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Riding Goodwater tomorrow. Where are the water stops ...other than filtering lake water?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    For one, Russell Park camp ground.

I think between that water refill and a fellow cyclist giving me an energy bar pretty much saved my life on that trip! Freakin rookie i was... ;-/

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    Riding Goodwater tomorrow. Where are the water stops ...other than filtering lake water?
    Sorry, just saw this.

Tejas has a water spigot. It's sort of the middle of a field just off the parking lot so you have to look for it (not anywhere near the bathrooms).

Jim Hogg has water right behind the gate station (hose against the station).

Overlook has water fountains at the bathroom.

Cedar Breaks probably has one somewhere, but not sure where. I generally don't need water there, so haven't had to look for one. I'd guess there's a hose by the gate station though.