Moving to DFW from California- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Moving to DFW from California

I and my wife are considering relocating from SoCal to DFW, and wondering where would be the best location for mountain biking (and motocross).

We have stayed in SoCal for over a decade, but grew tired of INSANE cost of housing and off course liberal enviro-nazis leftist politics. We stayed here, for me, obviously because of mountain biking as well as motocross, for my wife, because of the availability of Japanese food and its minority-friendliness (we are both originally from Japan).

I do have a realistic idea how mountain biking is going to be there so I will be selling my downhill bike and focus on all mountain type of riding. Despite the fact that there is no mountain there I am positive that I would still be able to enjoy riding. I would be very happy if I have close access to 5 to 10 miles long trails.

This is a mountain bike forum so I am aware that I shouldn't be asking about motocross tracks, but I hope someone who also ride motocross could give me some advice.

I would greatly appreciate any advice and suggestions.
    Last edited by ondore91; 04-06-2016 at 12:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    You can learn more about the DFW area MTB at DORBA.org. If you are willing to travel some Austin has different terrain (no mountains though). The Austin Ridge Riders Club has the scoop on the trails around there. If you want to see MTB racing look at TMBRA.org for the schedule and locations.
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net
    Texas Bicycling News, Events and Experiences

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    There is a lot of riding here, both on and off the road. No mountains, but there is a good network of trails that are well-maintained, well-marked, and actively-involved folks that love to ride bikes. Lots of XC racing if you want to get into that, and when you really want mountains there is always New Mexico or Arkansas. You can ride pretty much year round, but it won't be the same as riding in Socal. There are enough trails around the metroplex that it's very doable to live nearby a trail since they're located in city/state parks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I am thinking Flower Mound/Grapevine. How are these areas?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    A lot of the good trails here are in not-so-good parts of town, so if you want to live by a trail, but be in a nice area with good schools for kiddos, then Flower Mound/Grapevine is your best bet. There's also some motocross in or near Trophy Club, but the name is escaping me at the moment. It's pretty close to FM/Grapevine. The other good trails in the area will be a bit of a drive for you, however.

The best trails we have, in no particular order, are:
    Sansom (climbing and tech)
    Northshore (tech, but no climbing)
    Big Cedar (climbing, tech, flowy)
    Oak Cliff (tech and flowy, not a whole lot of climbing)
    Boulder (tech and decent climbing)
    Isle of Dubois (very tech, no climbing)
    Dino Valley (climbing and tech)

Edit: by climbing, I mean only 1,000-1,200 feet gained per 10 miles.

These are the trails you will likely frequent most and they have anywhere from 10-30 miles of trail per network. Lots of people come from out of state and are very surprised by what Sansom offers for climbing. Big Cedar is widely considered a favorite around here. It has a mountain sort of feel to it and there is a downhill section of trail that people have dedicated downhill bikes for. Dino Valley is called "the gateway to Hill Country", so it offers some of the biggest hills in the area and would be about 60-90 minutes from you.

Trips to the Austin and Arkansas are, as mentioned, very doable.

I don't think you will find much Japanese food in the burbs, but you can come down to Fort Worth or go to Dallas to get the occasional fix. We have a much bigger Vietnamese population, so that's more of thing here than Japanese.
    Last edited by Lefty B; 01-07-2016 at 04:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Jinbeh in Las Colinas (Irving) for Japanese Food!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Here is a map of trails in Texas. You can zoom in to the DFW area. Generally, traffic is bad and the metroplex is spread out thus you may want to be close to a trail for weekday post-work rides. Once you know where you guys will work/Japanese restaurants are at/..., hopefully you can hone in on an area with decent access to trails/work/restaurants.

mtbr member
    All I can say is that I met a couple guys from DFW a few years back on a MTB trip to Oregon. They were great (FAST) riders and come to find out, they are big time into the XC (and cycle cross) race scene out there. I've Facebook friends with them and they frequently post pictures from areas where they ride and race. To say I'm shocked and impressed with the scenery is a total understatement. It's 100X better than the stereotype I had imbedded in my mind. Aside from the heat, based on what they post, I think I'd be happy with the riding in DFW.

They get their fix by going to ride out of state 2-3 times a year. They've made return trips to Oregon and they've been to Moab twice in the last (3) years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ondore91 View Post
    I am thinking Flower Mound/Grapevine. How are these areas?
    Personally when I lived in FW, Northshore trail in Grapevine was my favorite. Good mileage, a decent amount of tech and flowy stuff. its not in the middle of the city (like Oak Cliff or Boulder) so you kind of feel like youre out in the forest. if you want one trail as your "home trail", i think thats the best of the bunch.

that said, i think a large portion of the trail has been underwater for several months this year due to tons of rainfall.

Sansom is fun but its far from Dallas. and in a sketchy part of town
    Boulder is pretty fun, in Dallas, but pretty sketchy part of town as well. Same for Oak CLiff. plus they are both in relatively compact areas so you never feel like youre out in nature so much as youre in the middle of a park in the city

i only rode Big Cedar once (I moved away right when it started getting popular) but ive heard its great.

IDB and DV are both far from Dallas proper.

Most riding in DFW is XC with a bit of technical stuff but nothing too crazy (other than some of the bike park stuff in Big Cedar).

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thank you everyone for the useful information. Sounds like we are going to be very happy there activity wise.

As for food, we don't really eat out much so a couple of asian supermarkets would be enough for us.

It seems like Flowmound/Grapevine areas are fairy nice & expensive housing wise, but it always surprises me how much you can get for the money in texas. It costs fortune to own a house in socal and it's still a ghetto.

mtbr member
    But pay attention to those property taxes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butasan View Post
    thank you everyone for the useful information. Sounds like we are going to be very happy there activity wise.

As for food, we don't really eat out much so a couple of asian supermarkets would be enough for us.

It seems like flowmound/grapevine areas are fairy nice & expensive housing wise, but it always surprises me how much you can get for the money in texas. It costs fortune to own a house in socal and it's still a ghetto.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty B View Post
    I don't think you will find much Japanese food in the burbs, but you can come down to Fort Worth or go to Dallas to get the occasional fix. We have a much bigger Vietnamese population, so that's more of thing here than Japanese.
    Don't let this concern you, there's no shortage of Japanese families and establishments throughout the area.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    But pay attention to those property taxes!!!
    Yes, I do realize that the property taxes are considerably higher in texas, but the property prices are lower and there is no state tax so over all it's cheaper compared to living in California.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Don't let this concern you, there's no shortage of Japanese families and establishments throughout the area.
    This is especially true after Toyota moved so we are not concerned.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    So I and my wife have visited DFW a couple of weeks ago. We stayed in Plano for 3 days and spent all 3 days all day just to drive around the neighborhoods of Plano, Frisco, Carrollton, Hebron, Coppell, Grapevine, and Flower Mound. Our impression was "WOW!", pretty much every neighborhood we visited was clean and quiet, and houses are newer and huge. We visited North Shore and Arbor Hills and saw a tons of mountain bikers. We also visited Trophy Club, but pretty much whole area was cover in water due to a storm.

We also find that people are generally polite and respectable there. I have a decades of Japanese martial arts training so being polite and respectable is something I put value on.

We realized what a dump Socal is except some super expensive(yet still houses are 60 years old crapshacks) coastal cities. We cannot move right now due to our jobs, but we are working with the local realtor to find our future house in order to commit moving there in few years.
    Last edited by ondore91; 03-21-2016 at 12:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Glad you enjoyed your visit and came away with a good impression of the area. Those neighborhoods you visited are upscale, so you'll get clean and quiet streets and good school districts. We still have a lot of traffic here depending on where you're trying to go or come from, but nowhere near as Socal. No mountains or ocean views here as well as not a lot going on compared to LA in terms of things to do and see, but everything is a trade-off.

Magically Delicious
    I used to spend a fair amount of time at LAX (the airport) and would take Sepulveda down to Redondo Beach and can directly relate to your reference to the Socal housing situation. I think you will find yourself in a stronger position should you elect to come this direction.

If you elect to live in the Plano or Frisco areas, you might be well advised to work in that area, because the traffic going south into the MetroMess can be oppressive. Adopting the philosophy of work where you live and live where you work will greatly enhance your free time.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X