Moving to Dallas- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Moving to Dallas

Hey all. I just found out I will be moving to Dallas in June. I had previously expected to be going to East TN but now its Dallas. I have been there probably 5-6 times and know it is a fun city with a lot to do. Tell me a little bit about the biking scene there, both mountain and road. I joined DORBA and there is a lot of information there.

Not really knowing my way around Dallas and where everything is located, I am having a hard time judging how close to what trails I will be. I'll be living in Uptown and working Downtown. What are the chances that there are trails close to either that I could hit up before or after work? What would be the best/closest options for me? Is there any chance of being able to ride out my door to trails from Uptown? What about going on a road ride from Uptown without having to drive somewhere first?

Also, what is the racing scene like? I love racing both road and mountain and hope to start CX this upcoming season. I would guess there are quite a few teams in the area. I would love to get hooked up with one of them and race for them.

Any info appreciated. Thanks, Chuck
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

meh
    I live in Knox/Henderson, near Uptown.

You may have seen the trails page, if not, this should give you a better idea of the layout.

Closest real trail is Oak Cliff Nature Preserve (ranges from 15-30 minutes to get to depending on location and traffic) with Boulder being just a bit further South and Big Cedar (really nice/new trail) a little more South, there is a beginner trail that is much closer at Harry Moss Park. There are plenty of other trails that will take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour locally (DFW is very spread out).
    As for riding right out your door, kinda, if you want to take the Dart Rail to Oak Cliff or Rowlett Creek, but Dallas is a very car-centric city.

As for road, you will be very near Katy trail (can ride this right out your door). Its an MUP, it gets really crowded this time of year with joggers though, so its good for a cruise but not full on riding (very good "scenery"). The best place for road is White Rock Lake in east dallas, about a 9-10 mile loop thats very popular.

Cant speak to racing as I completely ignore it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie33 View Post
    Hey all. I just found out I will be moving to Dallas in June. I had previously expected to be going to East TN but now its Dallas. I have been there probably 5-6 times and know it is a fun city with a lot to do. Tell me a little bit about the biking scene there, both mountain and road. I joined DORBA and there is a lot of information there.

Not really knowing my way around Dallas and where everything is located, I am having a hard time judging how close to what trails I will be. I'll be living in Uptown and working Downtown. What are the chances that there are trails close to either that I could hit up before or after work? What would be the best/closest options for me? Is there any chance of being able to ride out my door to trails from Uptown? What about going on a road ride from Uptown without having to drive somewhere first?

Also, what is the racing scene like? I love racing both road and mountain and hope to start CX this upcoming season. I would guess there are quite a few teams in the area. I would love to get hooked up with one of them and race for them.

Any info appreciated. Thanks, Chuck
    LOL.

no seriosuly, there are some good trails in DFW, but be prepared to drive to them. Oak CLiff and Boulder are fun but theyll be a good 20-30 minute drive. maybe more in rush hour traffic. Big Cedar is probably 30 or so. Northshore is probably 30.

i dont ride road, nor do i ever race (i dont live in DFW anymore), but it seemed to be pretty big there. DORBA has tons of races. just check their site (when its functional) and youll see announcements for it.

meh
    yup
    Northshore is more like 45+ from downtown with no traffic...have to bring my bike to work if i plan on hitting it on the weekdays, otherwise my whole afternoon is spent driving

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I've come to realize just how spread out Dallas is and the trails are all over the place. Looks like I'll be limited to the weekends on the mountain bike with the occasional week night ride. Seems like no shortage of group rides with various groups throughout the city.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    I am new into biking in the Dallas area, (I live up in Wylie) and so far I have biked Rowlett Creek Preserve (Southwest of Firewheel Mall) and loved it. I also biked Spring Creek Preserve across from Collin College on Spring Creek Parkway in Plano. I found some promising trails as well in this article of D Magazine.

D Magazine : 10 Top Trails For Hiking and Biking in Dallas

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJamie View Post
    I am new into biking in the Dallas area, (I live up in Wylie) and so far I have biked Rowlett Creek Preserve (Southwest of Firewheel Mall) and loved it. I also biked Spring Creek Preserve across from Collin College on Spring Creek Parkway in Plano. I found some promising trails as well in this article of D Magazine.

D Magazine : 10 Top Trails For Hiking and Biking in Dallas

those all look more hiking-centric than biking, aside from Oak Cliff Nature PReserve.....

meh
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    those all look more hiking-centric than biking, aside from Oak Cliff Nature PReserve.....
    correct, Arbor Hills is also mentioned and is a lesser dorba trail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    On this list I have only done Spring Creek. The north half of the park is very hiker centric, the south is good for bikes.

the DORBA website has a list of trails, but the website has been up and down lately so I forget to go there.

What I am personally looking for is sort of a scale of ratings for the trails, like which trail in the DFW do folks consider the best, then moving down the list to not as good.

meh
    that would be based completely on opinions that will vary wildly depending on a persons skill level, fitness level, and personal preference...would be impossible to compose a list that would work for everyone

brandisher of chainsaws
    Go ride Northshore, best flow in the area.

mtbr member
    I work off Harry hines and 35 ( well rely inwood and 35) and live in Cedar Hill so 30 minute drive home and 5 minutes to Big Cedar or 5 minutes to Cedar Hill State Park or 10 minutes to Boulder. If you want to ride after work like me you might want to rethink where you live. If you like road biking we also got plenty of hills. (you won't get those in the city)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJamie View Post
    On this list I have only done Spring Creek. The north half of the park is very hiker centric, the south is good for bikes.

the DORBA website has a list of trails, but the website has been up and down lately so I forget to go there.

What I am personally looking for is sort of a scale of ratings for the trails, like which trail in the DFW do folks consider the best, then moving down the list to not as good.
    Id put them into tiers, but it all depends on what you like.

Top Tier:
    Northshore
    IDB/JB
    Big Cedar

Middle
    OCNP
    Boulder
    Sansom (FW)

Lower
    Erwin
    River LEgacy
    Knob Hill

(I havent ridden a ton of trails on the east side of Dallas cause I lived in FW.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I work in downtown Dallas. I'm in Renaissance Tower (1201 Elm Street) and if I get out of here around 4:00 it's *usually* around 15 minutes to Boulder Park(about 20 minutes for Oak Cliff Nature Preserve). If you don't want to drive the blue line train can get you close to Rowlett Creek Preserve and Harry Moss and the red line can get you close to OCNP and Boulder. I've been doing a few races a year for the last couple of years. Dorba is very active and races are year round if the weather is cooperating (trails don't handle the rain very well). I think the trails here are fun with Big Cedar being my favorite although I don't make it down there as much as I would like. Dorba website has lots of good info.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Most of the local trails in Dallas are in south Dallas area. Big Cedar would be the most challenging of all of them. Cedar Hill State Park is a great trail. If you don't mind drives, depending on where you live, Erwin is about a 40 minute drive from North Dallas, RCP is in Garland, and Northshore sits next to DFW airport.

If you like a drive, Tyler State Park is very good trail that remains open after most rains because of the different soil out there, Solovaca Ranch (Glen Rose area, long drive- 2 hours) is awsome, and IDB and LB State parks on Ray Roberts are about an hour, and hour and a half drive depending on where you start your journey in Dallas.

DORBA website been down for a few days here, so keep checking it. It is down a lot lately.
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!

mtbr member
    DORBA website is in a transitional phase as they redesign it. Be patient, it will be back online soon.

In the meantime, here is a list of trails in the NTX area. Not all are DORBA, but you can get an idea of what's around. There is a wide variety - enough to never get bored, and a little something for everyone.

MountainBikeTx.com | Texas Trails | Region 2 - Prairies & Lakes

PS: bummer about East TN falling thru - I have been to Knoxville a couple times on biz and there is some nice geography there.
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog View Post
    DORBA website is in a transitional phase as they redesign it. Be patient, it will be back online soon.

In the meantime, here is a list of trails in the NTX area. Not all are DORBA, but you can get an idea of what's around. There is a wide variety - enough to never get bored, and a little something for everyone.

MountainBikeTx.com | Texas Trails | Region 2 - Prairies & Lakes

PS: bummer about East TN falling thru - I have been to Knoxville a couple times on biz and there is some nice geography there.
    Thanks for the info...saw where Dorba is down on facebook. I'm not moving until mid June so it should be up and running by then. mtbtx is a great site. I got a lot of good info off there when I was temporarily living in Austin for a few months last year. As for Knoxville, there some great geography for biking but I'll be in a much better position overall in Dallas so I'm looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie33 View Post
    As for Knoxville, there some great geography for biking but I'll be in a much better position overall in Dallas so I'm looking forward to it.
    Yep, Dallas is good location professionally - that's what brought me here, and I left Hawaii... just got back from a vacation there, and would still like to move back, but there just isn't a lot of jobs there, at least not good paying ones.
    Mind your own religion.

Members who have read this thread: 0