Moving to Austin...what bikes to keep- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Moving to Austin...what bikes to keep

So I am moving to Austin for the second time in my life in the Spring. I am coming from Tahoe and I have a Transition Covert 6" AM bike and a Specialized Demo DH bike.

Is there any reason to keep the Demo?

The Covert has a 150mm fork on it now, but before the move came up I was contemplating putting a 160mm back on it. Will that be overkill for Austin? When I last lived there I had a hard tail with 100mm and it was nearly 10 years ago.

I took a peak at a vid of Reveille Ranch Super D and it looks like the 6" bike would work for that. Are there more trails like that in the general area now?

thanks for the advice

adam

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Welcome back.

It's mostly XC with a little bit of All mountain for the guys who like to play on the big ledges on the Greenbelt and Emma Long. There is another Super D at Camp Eagle but I don't know anything about it. We just don't really have the severity of elevation to make that type of course (or need for that kind of suspension) commonplace.

Depending on how much you're planning to ride and how quickly you get bored you could be happy with those bigger bikes. Just know that the elevation profiles on Texas trails are rarely high to low and that most of the downhills you get to ride you either pedal up to get to or have to pedal up to get back home
    =====
    bacon (is my dog)
    http://www.sbtec.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Unless you plan on traveling with the Demo8 to Angelfire or Pajarito, it really won't see much good use in ATX.

Good luck with the move!

mtbr member
    thanks....that is what I expected..guess i will put the Demo up for sale.

mtbr member
    IMO, a 5-6" travel bike with a 150-160 fork is the perfect bike for Austin (if you can only have one). I cant imagine you will ever ride on your Demo 8 here. There really arent any long sustained downhills in Texas (aside from El Paso), so you wont really be able to reap the benefits of the DH bike.

I ride a Blur LTc with a 140 Revelation on it. If I had my choice, I'd go up to 150, but I ride Walnut Creek a lot since it is so close to me, 140 is actually overkill for 99% of Walnut Creek. and a 160 would definitely be overkill there.

But if I lived closer to Emma Long or the greenbelt (I probably only ride the Greenbelt once a week), I wouldnt hesitate with going with a 160. Maybe keep the 150, and see for yourself when you get here if the 160 is worth it. Depending on where you ride the most, it definitely could be worth it.

mtbr member
    sooner...thanks for the advice

I think I will do what you say and try out the 150. Its not that I hate it...its a Revelation custom tuned by PUSH, but it just does not inspire confidence like the 160 fork did. Then again for Austin it might work since I spent last summer mostly doing Super D stuff in Cali and Oregon. 10-15 miles mostly down with some high speed sections.

So when I sell the Demo...should I get a DJ/Pump Track bike...from what I remember, Walnut would be fun on a hard tail

mtbr member
    I agree with everyone here. Lots of great xc but no dh. The pump track is still going strong at wc. It got a little bruised and under used diy to the sought last year but there had been lots of work out there and its coming back.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Ventana El Bastardo 650B
    Spez Comp Carbon 29er
    Turner 5 Spot
    Giant NRS1
    Super V
    ProFlex
    IronHorse

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adamm3 View Post

I think I will do what you say and try out the 150. Its not that I hate it...its a Revelation custom tuned by PUSH, but it just does not inspire confidence like the 160 fork did. Then again for Austin it might work since I spent last summer mostly doing Super D stuff in Cali and Oregon. 10-15 miles mostly down with some high speed sections.

So when I sell the Demo...should I get a DJ/Pump Track bike...from what I remember, Walnut would be fun on a hard tail
    while id really like to say "give me the covert please" i think youre on the right track in bumping the bikes down aka hardtail/4x type bike for pumptracks, flow lines, dirt jumps, etc that do exist all over the area and the covert for tackling the "all mountain" type features that can be found at reveille etc.

speaking of reveille, if youre here in a couple weeks, be sure to hit this race. if not, just come ride and help the scene grow for riders such as yourself as we push to expand gravity oriented trails in the area. the more we come out of the woodwork for races/events like this, the more reason we give land owners to allow the building of these types of runs.

oh yea. welcome to the atx

March 24-25 – Tour de Ranch | Reveille Peak Ranch

mtbr member
    buy a road bike!

mtbr member
    @hal. No f'n way
    @weaver. That looks fun but i wont be there til mid may. I will def find u guys when i get there.

mtbr member
    @hal. No f'n way
    @weaver. That looks fun but i wont be there til mid may. I will def find u guys when i get there.
    definitely do. theres plenty of guys that can show you the different trail systems around the 512 but definitely make it out to Reveille as the granite/primo dirt out there is one of a kind for TX. not to mention several runs with >200ft of elevation drop across a mile etc.

mtbr member

i dont really do any DJ, but there is a pretty decent dirt jump area at Walnut Creek. As for the rest of the trail, I have a hardtail but I never ride it there because its more fun on my FS.

When you get here, I'd be happy to show you around Walnut. I'm still learning all the backtrails of the greenbelt otherwise I'd offer to show you around there too

And dont respond to HAL. He's basically a professional troll.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by weaverwins View Post
    definitely do. theres plenty of guys that can show you the different trail systems around the 512 but definitely make it out to Reveille as the granite/primo dirt out there is one of a kind for TX. not to mention several runs with >200ft of elevation drop across a mile etc.
    Reveille is a really cool place and you should hit it. You moving north or south of the river?

mtbr member
    Btw... I was planning on moving to Tahoe at one point. One of my very favorite places in the world. I'm sure you'll find austin to be great.
    Scott Genius 910 tricked out as much as I could without getting a divorce

brandisher of chainsaws
    Welcome to Austin dude! As far as the Demo is concerned, I know some dudes that have big bikes and while there aren't any tracks out here where you need one, they're still fun in some spots.

mtbr member
    It's like guns a 338lapua is badaas but around here its overkill and you're fine with a .308 and a .22 aka all mountain rig and dirtjumper/4x hardtail
    Scott Genius 910 tricked out as much as I could without getting a divorce

brandisher of chainsaws
    Paula is an anagram for lapua, the more you know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    An AM bike is really all you need for Austin. I have ridden everything in Austin on my old hammerhead (100MM fork). Now I ride a Blur LT and that is more than enough for the trails here. There are spots to take a big travel bike and do things that I won't ride, but it you have to limit yourself to one bike, get the one that can handle 95% of the trails, not the one that excels on 5% of the stuff you ride.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

Members who have read this thread: 0